What's new

Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles?

• Yes! I love them. They're cheap and tasty.

• No! I'm not in college and I have a real job.

• Who's Ramone and what's he doing with those noodles?

• Art is the King of the Noodles

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ramen is awesome. :001_wub:The best part is what you can add to it. I rarely use the flavour packet, or if I do, only a little bit of it. I prefer the Sapporo brand, like this:
proxy.php

Prepare as per package, but with less of the flavoring, and add fresh chicken and ginger sausage. Yummy! Its almost fried this way, and extremely tasty...Although having read through these posts, I may have to try that Velveeta idea :smile: I haven't had good ramen in awhile. I suppose I should try some local noodle houses, there does seem to be a lot of them.

Usually when I want noodles, I go to my local pho house and order a big ol' bowl . . . but I do keep a few packages of chili-flavored ramen around for when I don't feel like cooking anything more involved. Got pretty sick of raman and mac 'n cheese in college, which for me was in my thirties, but no less impoverished.

By the last semester, my usual diet was to cook up big pots of rice and beans every weekend and eat that all week . . . about $1 worth of beans, flavored with smoked pork neck bones (at 19¢ a pound!) and a 99¢ bag of rice and I could eat all week!

Don't miss it a bit. Now I have a house and a big ol' gas grill and throw a ribeye on there about 3X a week.

NANP™

I voted no. Not because I'm not a college student or because I don't like them. However, where I live I can get home made fresh Ramen and once you've had the best the .10 packages just don't seem to do it anymore.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow ... a thread from back when you were just "Saw".
Was there something with the forum arrangement back in 2008/2009 that would make the speakeasy a good place for a thread about ramen noodles? I don't remember if we had the Mess Hall back then or not.
Ok, aside from the fact that there's really no good place for a thread about ramen noodles, it would seem that the Mess Hall would be a better home?

P.S. - In this thread, there are many names of folks I had forgotten about, and whom I miss much.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Was there something with the forum arrangement back in 2008/2009 that would make the speakeasy a good place for a thread about ramen noodles? I don't remember if we had the Mess Hall back then or not.
Ok, aside from the fact that there's really no good place for a thread about ramen noodles, it would seem that the Mess Hall would be a better home?

P.S. - In this thread, there are many names of folks I had forgotten about, and whom I miss much.
I came here hoping to discover a new ramen cocktail.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I believe there are other threads about ramen, but was feeling nostalgic about this particular thread. I don’t get around here as often as I used to but I still enjoy my occasional visits.

I just got home from a few days on the road and fired up my B&B boar bristle brush on a puck of Tabac. It’s been forty some years of wet shaving, I still enjoy it, and think of the good times we’ve had here in the barber shop every time I lather up.

Was there something with the forum arrangement back in 2008/2009 that would make the speakeasy a good place for a thread about ramen noodles?
A lot of "catacomb" threads brought to life show up in the speakeasy, I don't know why. I remember a thread about bathroom plumbing showing up.

Revisited threads like this one with content and postings about the good old days are okay. The ones that really deserve the facepalm are about someone looking for something in 2009, they get answers in a timely manner, and someone comes in here in 2024 to suggest the one source that everyone missed in the 2009 thread....🙄

Every time I shop the Commissary it seems that Ramen Noodles is a big seller, they have a large section of assorted Noodle for sale.

My guess is young Military personal don't make much money, Ramen is filling, and stretch their pay so they have something in their stomachs. Thing is in Military you work normally over 40 hours a week, and the extra hours over 40 pay ZERO.

Every time I shop the Commissary it seems that Ramen Noodles is a big seller, they have a large section of assorted Noodle for sale.

My guess is young Military personal don't make much money, Ramen is filling, and stretch their pay so they have something in their stomachs. Thing is in Military you work normally over 40 hours a week, and the extra hours over 40 pay ZERO.
For me, growing up in a Pac Islander household - Ramen is a common staple.

These are not your bargain basement variety, but should be readily available at Luke? Most Walmarts or Asian markets stock this variety - the kicker is the bowl is fairly heavy duty and works very well as an economy shave bowl or one to source while on travel. I've also been reusing these bowls for anywhere from rinsing the tub to tossing chicken scratch...
proxy.php

My faves for using as a noodle base are these
proxy.php

For reference:
full

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I suspect that we had neither a Mess Hall nor a Speakeasy back then. These were probably "Barbershop" threads that got moved en masse when new forums ... fora ... were created.

Ok, aside from the fact that there's really no good place for a thread about ramen noodles

Right beside the thread about frozen pizza.

it would seem that the Mess Hall would be a better home?

*about to be moved*

Amen!

and think of the good times we’ve had here in the barber shop every time I lather up.

Double Amen!!

A lot of "catacomb" threads brought to life show up in the speakeasy, I don't know why.

We don't have a Pet Grooming forum.

My guess is young Military personal don't make much money, Ramen is filling, and stretch their pay so they have something in their stomachs.

It's good training for going into harm's way.

A co-worker gifted me a few of the Siracha branded noodles in a disposable bowl a couple of years ago. I quite enjoyed them. Now I have to look around and see if they are still sold.

Top Bottom