What's new

Questions about Cella

So I want to order some cella but I have read conflicting opinions. I have 3 questions I'm looking for help to answer

1) I have heard that the formula for the 1 kilo brick differs from the individual portion tubs. Is this true? If so, is the brick the original and preferred formula?

2) I have heard multiple reports of cella turning rancid. Is this true? I hate to drop $40 on a brick and have it go bad.

3) If cella does go rancid, what is the best way to prevent it? Freeze it? Refrigerator?

Thanks for the help!

Sir Jbird45! I've enjoyed a couple bricks of Cella!
Great soap! Indeed, I like the brick better than the tub!
Never had anything go 'bad'!
It's been kept in cool, room-temp closet, well-wrapped!
I portion small amounts into tins for use!

cella brick penhaligon schulze tuesday truefitt hill 1805 november 25 2015.jpg

Vitos is also sold in a kilo block. I remember someone talking about cutting a chunk to stuff in a shaving mug and freezing the rest for later use.

I have never tried Cella from the kilo. But my understanding is that it’s slightly different than Cella red tub.

The general consensus from people who have used both. Prefer the Kilo.

Most people who own the Kilo’s like to store it in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent it from going rancid. But as mentioned if you keep well stored in a cooler location you may be ok as well.

I have some Vitos from a kilo and store it in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator.

This is my first time with storing any Italian soap like this. But I think it will hold up fine that way.

So I want to order some cella but I have read conflicting opinions. I have 3 questions I'm looking for help to answer

1) I have heard that the formula for the 1 kilo brick differs from the individual portion tubs. Is this true? If so, is the brick the original and preferred formula?

2) I have heard multiple reports of cella turning rancid. Is this true? I hate to drop $40 on a brick and have it go bad.

3) If cella does go rancid, what is the best way to prevent it? Freeze it? Refrigerator?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, there is a difference between the 1 kg block and the smaller tub and I prefer the former.

Over time, they both change colour slightly, turning into a more beige, buttery colour.

At the time when I was using the 1 kg blocks, I had more shaving soaps and creams than today (I still have too many. :sneaky2:) and it took me more than three years to go through each 1 kg Cella block. I used to cut off a slice, pressed it into an apothecary mug, wrapped what was left of the block into the cellophane wrapper it had come in, put the block back in its cardboard box, and placed it back on a shelf in my bedroom corridor.

That was all, no refrigeration, no freezing, just storing in a dark cool place and I never had any issues.
There are some reports about Cella going rancid, but it never happened to me and if it had I would just have bought another block or moved on.
I just felt it was not worth blocking space in my fridge or freezer for it.

B.

Top Bottom