What's new

Question regarding Mont Blanc fountain pen..

I have an MB fountain pen (#149) that has been sitting in a case for at least 25 years; never used. My wife got me the pen and an MB pencil (also not used) to complement the MB ballpoint that I have had/used for even longer. At the time that she gave it to me, I was traveling extensively and was reluctant to carry the fountain pen and pencil with me. Quite frankly, I forget about them until recently, when reading something about fountain pens caused me to remember them.

Here's the question: I have this never used pen that I now want to use and have two containers of MB ink (one is a sort of cut glass inkwell and the other is an odd shaped container - a rounded pyramid) that are as old as the pen. Is it OK to use the ink or does that stuff go bad/settle, etc, from sitting around for so long? I would guess that a good shake is order, or not? I really don't want to clog up the pen and will get some fresh ink, if that's in order.

IF the seal on the ink has never been broken then you should be fine. Once ink has been exposed to air it generally has a one year shelf like.

Never heard the one-year rule myself. From everything I've heard and read, fountain-pen ink and can often last for decades -- and many people seek out and use vintage inks. The biggest concerns would be prolonged exposure to sunlight, which can change the color of the ink though may not affect performance; evaporation, which can be dealt with by adding distilled water to make up for the evaporation; and fungal growth, which has less to do with age than with contamination and should be noticable on the surface of the ink. If I saw fungus, I wouldn't use the ink, no matter the age.

In experience is that inks are useable after a year. Expourse to light does damage inks. Check for unsual amounts of sentiment at theb ottom of the bottle. Check for a foul oder.
A quality ink like Mount Blanc should still be useable.
Enjoy using the Mount Blanc.

If it has been sitting that long unused, you may want to consider lubing the filler [the seals and piston mechanism] with some silicon grease to get the smooth action back.

Just a thought. Enjoy that fine pen.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If it has been sitting that long unused, you may want to consider lubing the filler [the seals and piston mechanism] with some silicon grease to get the smooth action back.

Just a thought. Enjoy that fine pen.

Good thought except the nibs don't just come out for easy barrel access -- it's not a simple thing like unscrewing a Pelikan nib.

This from Glenn's Pens on Ink:

Can you use old ink? Most will agree you can, provided the ink has not been subject to sunlight, and has been properly capped.

Give the bottle a shake and try it. If in any doubt, always have a cheaper pen available for your more daring moments. I store my inks in a closed cupboard and when sitting for long periods of time they are not exposed to light.

The early Mont Blancs (including early 146, 149 etc) had cork seals on the piston etc but your modern 149 will have modern plastic seals, so will be resistant to any acids in modern or vintage inks, so go ahead and use any good vintage or modern fountain pen ink.

Parker Quink should not be used with vintage pens that have a rubber ink sac as this ink has chemicals in it that were designed to self-clean the Parker 51s etc (P51s had silicone ink sacs so weren't damaged by Quink) Again though, this doesn't apply to your 149.

It's possible to remove the 149 nib by gripping it firmly with your fingers and wiggling it back and forth whilst pulling gently. You shouldn't really need to do this other than to replace the nib though. Cleaning in warm water will remove most ink deposits etc.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A tool is actually used to remove the 149 nib assembly, it closely fits the two notches in the retaining ring. Unfortunately when removed the seal is broken and will void the Montblanc warrantee. I heartily recommend leaving the nib/feed in place, there really should be no need to tinker with your Meisterstück.

You're thinking of Parker Superchrome, a vintage ink to be avoided!

Unfortunately when removed the seal is broken and will void the Montblanc warrantee. I heartily recommend leaving the nib/feed in place, there really should be no need to tinker with your Meisterstück.

You're thinking of Parker Superchrome, a vintage ink to be avoided!

Totally agree on not tinkering with the nib of a Mont Blanc and avoiding SupeChrome.

IF the seal on the ink has never been broken then you should be fine. Once ink has been exposed to air it generally has a one year shelf like.

I don't buy that at all. I can't think of an ink that I've purchased that had any kind of seal to break on initial opening (although 90% of what I buy is Noodler's). And it was all open to air when it was manufactured. It's not like they are purging the bottles with argon or something. I've got 2 year old Noodler's that is fine after being open for a while. And a number of people use vintage ink fine. Just be careful of any ink with sediment in it, or that seems moldy.

I don't buy that at all. I can't think of an ink that I've purchased that had any kind of seal to break on initial opening (although 90% of what I buy is Noodler's). And it was all open to air when it was manufactured. It's not like they are purging the bottles with argon or something. I've got 2 year old Noodler's that is fine after being open for a while. And a number of people use vintage ink fine. Just be careful of any ink with sediment in it, or that seems moldy.

If I'm not mistaken, a sealed ink bottle only has a finite amount of oxygen in it. It will react with whatever is in the bottle, and then will stop once all the oxygen is used up. That way, it only reacts for so long. Versus a bottle that is continuously being opened, and fresh oxygen can get in and react.

Maybe someone with more chemistry knowledge can chime in.

Top Bottom