What's new

Question for the str8 masters out there.

Assuming that you have gotten your str8 to pass the hanging hair test, and all other factors being equal, how long is it usually until you have to touch up your razor so it once again passes the hh test? Also, do you use a pasted strop or barber hone?

Rich

“You ought never to take anything that don’t belong to you - if you can not carry it off” – Mark Twain

I am not a master. I personally don't use the HHT as a measure of how sharp the edge really is. In fact, out of all my razors (14) only two have ever pass the test. They all are shave ready and shave very smooth. That is my test. Having said that, touch ups are going to vary according to frequency of your use, thickness of your stubble, stroping technique and how sharp they were when you first started shaving with those razors. Just last week, after several months of use I did my first touch-ups on 5 of my blades. I ran a few laps on my 12k, about 10 laps on a .5 diamond pasted strop and about 15 laps on leather. This brought them right back to be nice and smooth again. YMMV. This is just what works for me.

I am sure the real experts will chime in soon.

Raf

I assume your waiting for someone else but, all my razors pass the HHT all the time. Easy pezzy once you get honing down. They say it depends on the hair you choose though. Anyway about every two months I have to update them. I often screw them up stropping after only a month of shaves. Every week or so I have to "draw them out" using some pressure and sometimes I mess up the edge and sometimes they go out to two months. I usually rehone at the 2 month mark whether they need it or not.

Barber hone . . . or 8k Norton is all I typically use. I find that the pastes don't last as long between updates.

I have noticed that alot of people over look the linen part of keeping your blades sharp. I use all 7-10 of my razors daily and only hone as needed. Most times about 20-30 laps on good linen will keep your blade singing. I also have two other strops, one with red paste and one with black paste for little touch ups in between. I MIGHT throw 2-3 of my razors on the 8g hone once a week but those blades or not my SS ones. The ultimate test as stated is to try to shave with it. In my experiance the old HH test just is'nt practical or reliable...at least not for me.

Thats a good point! I can not rely on the HHT to determine if the razor is sharp enough to shave with either. Very cool Myspace page you have. :wink: And your right about the linen, most guys don't seem to use it at all. I find it produces a nicer edge along the way too.

I've been using untreated linen daily, 10 strokes before I move onto the leather, for a while now. Do you use the white paste on the linen, or as it comes? I'm still unsure as to what the linen is trying to achieve, I couldn't say whether I have seen any improvements using it, so any advice would be useful.

As to honing, rarely. Very rarely, though each razor (of 7) usually gets used only once a week so that helps. But even when I was using only a couple, it would be months between honings. I can't remember when I last honed my Sellers Sheffield wedge, and it still has an edge that scares the bristles off my face without touching them. I have tough stubble too, perhaps they last so long because I strop so much- 15 strokes on linen and 30 on leather, on a large strop.

Do you use the white paste on the linen, or as it comes?

I just use it as it comes. My understanding is that 15 passes or so will heat up the blade and prepare it for the leather.

Thanks, by the way, for everyone's opinion. I only have the one dove that I use everyday.

"we don't need no stinkin tests". Too many people are caught up with tests to the point they lose focus on the shave. I'll arm hair shave while honing but thats about it. I can usually tell as I hone how things are going. I find depending on the razor about 10-15 shaves and its time for a touch-up.

I find depending on the razor about 10-15 shaves and its time for a touch-up

Thanks! That's very helpful. I think my experience is going to be very similar.

Rich

“All good things arrive unto them that wait – and don’t die in the meantime.” – Mark Twain

When honing a razor I use the thumb nail test to see where I am at. When it passes that I go on to the finish hone and use the HH test to determine how close I am to being finished. Some razors will tell you ( referring to the feedback from the razor ) when they will pass. Other razors are a real challenge to get there. Some only want to pass after they are stropped. I only use it this as a gauge when honing. I also use boar hair first then human hair as the final test.The real test as always is the shave.

Glen

p.s. not a master or even an expert, just a big fan

Top Bottom