What's new

Quest for less technology

Well Boris, I did a bit of research and the head is different from the Merkur razors as is the handle a little bit. The 41C has a rounded bottom on the handle whereas the one you have looks flat. The head is also different in that Merkur OC heads have 11 small teeth between the outside "Guard" teeth. Yours has 10 teeth between the guards. The knurling looks pretty much the same though. Nice looking razor.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Well Boris, I did a bit of research and the head is different from the Merkur razors as is the handle a little bit. The 41C has a rounded bottom on the handle whereas the one you have looks flat. The head is also different in that Merkur OC heads have 11 small teeth between the outside "Guard" teeth. Yours has 10 teeth between the guards. The knurling looks pretty much the same though. Nice looking razor.
It must be the Merkuro from Ali Express.

Well I guess it is a mystery razor unless it is an older version of the 41C. Who knows?

Evening shave - 4/22/24
Razor: Noname OC
Blade: Derby Premium (8)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Rating: 9/10, DFS
New razor. Unknown, noname OC razor. Used the blade from previous shave. Very comfortable shave, but it felt a bit inefficient. Could be the blade that is on the way out. I will try a new blade next time. Very comfortable shave though, but some to be desired in closeness.

For once I will be a bit picturetastic in my SOTD post. Let me introduce you to a razor that my dear friend @Guido75 added to my wonderful Swing razor gift that he sent me a while back. He told me in his letter that it was a razor that he did not know what it was, but that it is similar to an "old type". The razor nor handle has any markings as far as I can tell to give any clue to who made it etc. I did take some pictures of it. If anyone knows anything more regarding this razor please let me know.

EDIT: This looks like a Merkur 41C

View attachment 1834293
View attachment 1834292
View attachment 1834291
View attachment 1834290
View attachment 1834288

Now for the shave. I decided to use the Derby Premium that gave me a BBS in the previous shave. I did not want to use a brand new blade with an unknown razor.......just in case. The blade aligned just fine in the head so no worry there. It did not seem like it would be an overly aggressive razor by the look of the blade in the razor. and it turned out that the razor is quite mild so there was no need to fear it. The head feels very nice and nimble and I had no problem getting into places with it. The blade tabs are not covered with this razor, but that does not really bother me. I have never had an issue with that.

I used the razor at a neutral angle and while it knocked down my whiskers it left some and that required more going over the same area a few times. Still I did not end up with a very close shave even though it certainly sufficed. I think I need to put a new fresh blade in it and also learn this razor a bit better. Maybe I am not using the right angles for this one yet. Subsequent shaves hopefully will improve the closeness.

Onto a completely different topic. My dear wife, after we came back from the cruise, threw in a load of wash and she was complaining that the drier took a long time to dry the clothes. She actually had to add more time to get them dry. The drier did not indicate the the vent was not flowing right or anything. Yesterday I ordered a vent cleaning kit that I was able to get delivered the same day. Hot diggity dog! I am ashamed to admit that in my 52 year life I have never cleaned a drier vent.

Once home from work I quickly unpacked the vent cleaning kit and I have to say it was a good one. It had all kinds of brushes and attachments to a shopvac and a flexible 32 ft rod. I pulled out the drier and first cleaned all the crevasses on it and the vent tube in the back. Easy peasy. Then I attached my coreless drill to the circular brush that would run in the vent pipe to the outside. It had a nifty cover that allowed the shopvac to suck while you are running the brush in the pipe. I ran the brush all the way until I got it to the outside and then ran it going back. I cleaned up inside hooked everything back up and took the drier for a test run and man did it vent well. I was very pleased.

Then I opened up the shopvac and I found this......
View attachment 1834295
I was like :eek2::eek2::eek2:. It was like a Walmart bag full of lint in the shopvac! All that was in the drier vent. No wonder it did not vent well. I should count myself lucky that we have not had a fire. From now on I will clean it once every year or two. I was amazed at what I got out of it.

Happy shaves everyone!
I saw a video recently on YouTube of a fella cleaning out the dryer vent from the outside, it was amazing how much lent was in the vent tube. A simple task with the right equipment.

I saw a video recently on YouTube of a fella cleaning out the dryer vent from the outside, it was amazing how much lent was in the vent tube. A simple task with the right equipment.
Yeah it amazed me how much was in there and indeed with the kit I bought it made the work quick. I think it took me 1.5 hour and I was done. The kit was I think around $30 and worth every penny. You may not use it but once every or every other year, but it certainly makes quick work of it.

It probably will save a bit of electricity too since the dryer might not have to run that long to dry a load. We will see.

Have an excellent trip! Avoid suspicious ramps.
97f9c238f75872a600aca2d7442bb502.gif

Top Bottom