What's new

Quest for less technology

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
You as well my friend!
I found a few extra tucks of GSBs yesterday while digging through the blade hoard. Would you like me to send you some? 🤣

Look into my eyes, Boris...

R.gif

Evening shave - 3/9/24
Razor: Greencult GC 1.1
Blade: Derby Premium (6)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
What a fantastic end of a week with the Derby. Premium! Fabulous shave. Close, comfortable.

Evening shave - 3/10/24
Razor: RazoRock Quick-Change TTO
Blade: Personna Platinum (Germany) (1)
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Decided to take one of my less than stellar razors out for a spin and I have to say it was a nice comfortable shave. Really no issues. I did have a small weeper that came and went, but nothing to get too excited about. Plenty close. No complaints.

Derby Premium blade was binned on Saturday evening after my shave. It was a good blade. Very smooth one, but not the sharpest. Still plenty sharp to make short order of my whiskers during last week. I do have a full 100-pack of them so they will make their appearance from time to time.

For Sunday's shave I decided to pull out one of my "nemesis" razors and see if I could get a good shave with it. The RazoRock has been a thorn in my side and I decided to give it one last chance (I still will PIF it, but do not tell it that). I made sure I used a very light hand while shaving and I was rewarded with a nice and plenty close shave without any irritation. I did have a weeper, but it was gone as quickly as it came. The blade is a new one to me and it performed flawlessly. I will have to rotate it a bit between razors and see how well it works in others as well. I do have another of these so it will be a two week stent with the Personna Platinum (Germany).

This week will be crazy busy. It looks like we will be getting our new audio equipment delivered to church this week and I really need to spend my evening over there to make sure it works and learn the new stuff. I have not used this mixer before so it will be a learning curve I am sure. We got the Allen and Heath SQ6 mixer and along with that the digital snake, new head speakers QSC K12.2s, new subs QSC KS118s. I cannot wait to try it all out. We have been pulling cables and such for some time to get ready for all this. I am excited.

Happy shaving everyone!
-Boris

Exciting news that I forgot to mention. My dear wife and I are the happy new parents of.........four new little puff ball chicks. We have kept backyard chickens for a number of years and we have a few chickens that are getting shall we say tired of laying eggs and they need to be taken to the retirement home. So we got four new chicks. We got good ol' Leghorns this time around.

They are certainly not a froufrou breed, but they are very good egg producers even through the winter. We used to have one leghorn hen and she was amazing. Anyways I will have to take some pictures of the little ones and post them. Right now they are in the spare bathroom in the house. A bit too cold for them outside before they are fully feathered. Exciting times though.

Evening shave - 3/11/24
Razor: RazoRock Quick-Change TTO
Blade: Personna Platinum (Germany) (2)
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
Respectable shave, plenty close, but with a slight bit of tightness of the skin. I did get one weeper that closed quickly. I think my decision to PIF this razor is the right one.

This razor does not do it for me. It is temperamental and I have to be on my toes with it so it does not cause me irritation. It does not seem to have the best blade support and that could be the issue regarding irritation as well. Now if I use a very light touch I can use it, but I have to be so careful. It does not fit me well. It will go into my PIF pile.

Now these are very inexpensive razors so I am thinking of putting together a kit sort of with soap and blades to go along with it. However, I am not like @Balin, who has a house full of brushes, so I cannot include a brush with it.

So far the blade is performing well. No issues there. I just need to swap razors. I might go back to my RR Old Type and give that a run again or I may pull out the Lord L6 to get myself used to it before our vacation.

Happy shaving everyone!
-Boris

No sabatical pour moi...I now have a more balanced (read: more different stuff) group of areas I can now choose from. Not only shaving related but also fountain and sketching (dip) pens, journals and sketch books plus the not-so-usual suspects that I stumble upon which require further investigation and, more likely than not...purchasing. It's great.
200w-11.gif

Morning shave - 3/13/24
Razor: RazoRock Old Type
Blade: Personna Platinum (Germany) (3)
Aftershave: Clubman VIBR
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Back to the RR Old Type and it was really shining. Super comfortable and not even a threat of irritation. Plenty close shave. A few areas short of a BBS, but still a very nice shave.

Was a late night last night so I ended up not shaving then and instead this morning which turned out really well. I had plenty of time on me so no time rush and I decided to switch back to the RR Old Type razor. This razor seems to be somewhat blade dependent, but maybe it is just that I do not have enough shaves with it. It certainly ended up a super nice shave with the Personna blade and I have no complaints there. The razor is certainly not as efficient as the other ones that I have been using here lately, but it is also a razor you have to work at to get irritation from as well so the lesser efficiency might not matter too much. If I can get a nice close comfortable shave, even if it takes a little bit more work, might just be the ticket. Very easy razor to use.

There is one slight issue I see with it though. It seems like the alignment is pretty firm side to side, but I do feel like one side is a bit more efficient than the other. I am not sure if I can even adjust for it when screwing down the cap. It is not a lot, but enough that I can tell the difference. Maybe I am nitpicking here so take that with a grain of salt.
Happy shaving everyone!

Morning shave - 3/14/24
Razor: RazoRock Old Type
Blade: Personna Platinum (Germany) (4)
Aftershave: AV Musk
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Very smooth shave without a hint of irritation. This razor is one smooth operator. Plenty close and easy to use razor.

Another great shave by the RR Old Type. This is a great razor especially if you are after an irritation free shave. Yes it is not the most efficient, but it certainly gets you plenty smoov. I did especially pay attention to the alignment issue that I spoke of last SOTD report and it seems like the tolerances of the zamak mold is pretty good. The blade does not move around much at all even when loose so the fit is pretty decent. Nothing like my RR Mentor, which is very loosey goosey. I tried to push the blade to one side and it really did not make much difference. I still had one side of the razor being more aggressive than the other. The difference is not huge, but clearly noticeable. It makes me favor the more efficient side during my shave. For you who own an RR Old Type do you also experience one side being more aggressive than the other? Maybe it is just in mine.

Happy shaves everyone!

One thing I have added to my shave routine here for the last month or so has been the addition of a handful of drops of jojoba oil after I have applied after shave. After the after shave I wait maybe 5-10 minutes. while finishing up other stuff and then I apply about 12 drops of jojoba oil rubbing it in on my face and I have to say I have noticed a big difference.

First the after shave scent stays longer. Yep it does. I think that it slows down the evaporation of the aftershave and you get a longer lasting scent. I like that side effect.

Second, naturally is moisturizes your face without using a lotion or similar with a bunch of unneeded things in it. This means that even if the soap is a bit drying it really does not matter much. My face gets a good dose of moisture. Also it makes my face glisten beautifully. 😁 Makes my face go with my long flowy, airy hair.......sorry just getting carried away there for a bit.

Thirdly, the leftover oil on my hands is lotion for my hands. No complaints there either. As long as the oil is an oil that penetrate well and reasonable quick you will not feel greasy. I would not use olive oil, coconut oil or similar. Good alternatives are Fractionated coconut oil, Grapeseed oil, Jojoba oil and there are others as well.

For you who own an RR Old Type do you also experience one side being more aggressive than the other? Maybe it is just in mine.
I can't remember if I've noticed it specifically with the RROT but I've seen it off and on with all the razors I use. I'm starting to believe that it is more blade dependent-- although I don't always have the same problem with the same blade in different razors--sometimes I do, though (Treet 7 days). The embryonic theory in my mind is that some blades have more slop in them, and some razors are more capable of correcting that slop than others. But, it's only a theory at this point.

Top Bottom