What's new

Purple inks

Classic B&B enabling: I wanted just one bottle of purple ink to expand my color choices. Now I have at least 4 or 5 that are on the Must Buy list.
I already bought one (Purple Wampum) but can I stop? Purple ' s not even my favorite color, but some of the dark and dusky ones are so freaking appealing.

Noodler's Purple Heart is also worth a look.

$Capture.JPG

I have tried quite a few, and in fact, purple ink was what led me to fountain pens to begin with (its a long story). I eventually switched to a blue/black for the office, but my favorite purples were Caran d'Ache Storm, and Private Reserve Ebony purple. I chose them mostly because they were the darker of the purples I used, but I really liked both.

Noodler's North African Violet

I've used North Africa Violet and had it stain a converter. Anyone else have that problem?

I tend to lean toward dark purples so Private Reserve Ebony Purple and Noodler's Purple Martin are my favorites. I also like Private Reserve Tanzanite and Supershow Purple.

You definitely need to do your homework before buying Noodler's. Some of them are fine and some stain converters, or worse, the inside of piston filler fountain pens.

-Andy

You definitely need to do your homework before buying Noodler's. Some of them are fine and some stain converters, or worse, the inside of piston filler fountain pens.

-Andy
I'm new so allow me another dumb question- does the staining matter if it isn't demonstrator? For instance, how would I ever know if the interior of my blue Pilot Custom 74 was stained? Or will it bleed over into the other inks I put in? Or cause other problems? Now I'm worried because both my nice pens are filled with Noodler's (the only brand I currently own) Elysium Blue and Heart of Darkness respectivley.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm new so allow me another dumb question- does the staining matter if it isn't demonstrator? For instance, how would I ever know if the interior of my blue Pilot Custom 74 was stained? Or will it bleed over into the other inks I put in? Or cause other problems? Now I'm worried because both my nice pens are filled with Noodler's (the only brand I currently own) Elysium Blue and Heart of Darkness respectivley.

It only matters if it annoys you cosmetically.

The biggest risk of the residual ink bleeing over into the next ink is from a saturated feed more than a stained converter ... but unless you are going from a very dark colour to very light, you won't notice.

It's possible that ink residue/staining could react with another ink brand or color, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. My big concern with highly saturated (lots of pigment) ink is that it can clog a pen's feed and might be difficult to clean out. I tend to stick with less saturated inks and read reviews for inks I'm planning to buy. Reliable brands are Pelikan 4001, Waterman, Sheaffer, Parker Quink, Pilot Iroshizuku, Lamy, Rohrer and Klingner, Montblanc, Sailor, Platinum, J. Herbin, Akkerman (cool bottles!) and nearly all Diamine inks (Peach Haze stains pens and converters, so I don't use it).

I tend to stay away from Noodler's and Private Reserve, but you may have absolutely no problems out of the two inks you own. I don't know them well enough to comment based on personal experience, but you have two very popular Noodler's inks that people seem to love. Enjoy them, and try not to worry about it.

-Andy

Top Bottom