What's new

Purple inks

So I have a couple new pens coming in, a Prera and a couple Metropolitans.
My current ink selection is pretty limited- a nice blue, a black, a bright red, and a green.
I'm looking to spice it up with a nice dark royal purple type. Any suggestions?

I really like J. Herbin Violette Pensee. So does my 9 year old daughter. It's her favorite.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I like Diamine Majestic Purple. When I think of the color purple, that's the shade that comes to my mind. Like most Diamine inks, very well-behaved and reasonably priced.

proxy.php

If iron gall inks interest you, Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa is a well-behaved darker purple.

proxy.php

Last edited:
My favorite purple, after trying quite a few, is Sailor Jentle Shigure. It's quite a dark purple, and coming out of wet writing pens almost looks black until it dries. I trust it not to cause clogging or staining issues, but it has a fair degree of water resistance. Private Reserve Ebony Purple is not bad, but it's a bit too black, as if it's your secret that it's really purple.

Noodler's La Reine Mauve and Kung Te-Cheng are both nice colors, and different from each other, with the KTC being more of a bluish purple. Unfortunately, I have had clogging issues with both, and serious nib creep with the LRM in almost every pen I've tried it in. I wouldn't use them in any of my "good" pens, but I do have a Pilot Varsity that I refilled with the LRM, and it's actually the only pen that handled it without problems.

I've tried, as I mentioned, quite a few other purples, in fact, I just thought of eight others that I've tried, but in most cases I either didn't care for the color, or there was something unsatisfactory about the other properties, at least for me with my pens.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sheaffer or Pelikan. Before she passed away, my mother always told me only old ladies used purple inks.

So I think of her whenever I use them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sheaffer or Pelikan. Before she passed away, my mother always told me only old ladies used purple inks.

So I think of her whenever I use them.

Every time I use a purple ink, I shall think of Douggie as an old lady.

proxy.php

I'm really loving all the inks. I want several of them.
While looking at some of the purple ink pictures I also noticed noodler's purple wampum. Has anyone used this ink? Does it perform reliably?

Private Reserve Tanzanite is a subtle purple but still purple. It is almost passable as an office ink.

PR DC Super Violet is quite electric. Its bright and vibrant. Really purple.

Top Bottom