What's new

Pumpkin Beers

Pumpkin Beers- Whats your opinion of them?

I like them in moderation. I usually pick up one or two different six packs each October. My favorite is Lakefront Pumpkin Lager. Its easy to drink and the pumpkin flavor is not super overpowering.

Today I picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, witch I will be trying tonight after work.

Last edited:
Every year I try a few - eventually fine one or two that are just "ok". I have the same bad luck with Jalapeno-type beers. I've had better luck finding drinkable Christmas beers.

Give me a good brown/porter/stout any day though!

I really like some, and have had others that are WAY too sweet/overpowering. I always pick some up during October/November.

My favorite is Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale. It's a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin ale. The pumpkin adds a light touch to the flavor. Very enjoyable. And careful, because it can knock you on your @$$.

One of my least favorites is Pumpkick by New Belgium. They throw cranberries in as well, and it's just too much.

Not a fan here. If I must, it will be Terrapin Pumpkinfest. Its a very well thought out beer. They didn't just throw a bunch of pumpkin spices at an existing ale. They actually use an Oktoberfest as the base for the beer. I feel the cleaner lager base melds better with the pumpkin pie spices than a more fruity ale. Also, the malty backbone of an Oktoberfest and the toasted flavors the melanoidin malt brings to the table really makes the beer work.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I want my beer to taste like beer. Lord save me from beers that taste like pumpkin pie; I like pumpkin pie, but I dont want it in my beer

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Like others here I prefer my beer to be beer. No additional spice or flavor needed. Just good ole beer.

I do like pumpkin beer but I can't drink more than 2 in a setting. It's better than the chocolate or pizza beer I've had.

Typically if I'm making a night cap it's a bourbon or scotch neat, but like others I can't drink more than a couple and I definitely have to be in the mood for it. Southern Tier Pumpking has been my choice for a few years now, and they now come in standard 12 oz bottles.

Technically, hops are a flavoring/spice :tongue_sm

Brewers go through pretty great lengths go use different hops at different times in the boil process to give different amounts of bitterness and flavoring. Hops have long been the favored flavoring agent for beer due to their battering, flavoring and astringent properties (it helps keep baddies from growing in beer). Over history, lots of spices and herbs have been used in beer for the exact same properties. For that matter, there are malts that contribute no real sugar content, but just flavor. The best example would be Roasted Barley used in Dry Stouts.

IMO, there is no such thing as "just beer".

Though I hold general aversion to the recent trend to pumpkin spice everything once the air gets that little cool fall nip. There are other majorly flavored beers often done as a stunt (PB&J, Pizza, etc). There is a reason why none of those stunt beers are a breweries flagship beer though.

Not a fan of "flavored" beers. But, my preference runs towards the more robust and heavy porters and stouts. During the hot summers though I do like the more thirst quenching beers. Since I am currently in Texas right now, Revolver Brewing's Blood and Honey American Wheat Ale sure hits the spot. I guess the citrusy style works to cool the heat.

Mike

I tried a Schlafy Special Reserve Pumpkin Ale last night. They are supposed to be very good, and I will say that I enjoyed it. It did take me back on the first sip though. I typically prefer the pumpkin beers that taste more like pumpkin and less like pumpkin pie. This beer, however, tasted exactly like pumpkin pie. The spices really surprised me at first, but after that initial sip I found it quite enjoyable. Still not my favorite, but I'll consider getting that one again next year.

For those in (or bordering) Wisconsin who have access to New Glarus brews, give "Pumpkin Pie Lust" a shot.

I had one over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Don't let the pie part turn you off...it wasn't sweet or cloying. Subtle and very nice, in fact.

I believe it is based off of a dunkleweiss with the addition of pumpkin at some point.

I prefer pumpkin beers that are actually beer brewed with or flavored with pumpkin. Too many are simply some sort of weird hybrid of "malt beverage" and beer. The wildly popular (around here, anyway) "Pumpkinhead" by Shipyard claims to be brewed, but really tastes like a malt beverage. Bleh.

One of the best I've tried is "Pumking" by Southern Tier brewing. Very delicious, and is actually BEER.
proxy.php

I prefer pumpkin beers that are actually beer brewed with or flavored with pumpkin. Too many are simply some sort of weird hybrid of "malt beverage" and beer. The wildly popular (around here, anyway) "Pumpkinhead" by Shipyard claims to be brewed, but really tastes like a malt beverage. Bleh.

One of the best I've tried is "Pumking" by Southern Tier brewing. Very delicious, and is actually BEER.
proxy.php

Although I am not a fan of Southern Tier, pumking is my favorite non barrel aged pumpkin beer. But Cigar city's good gourd almighty aged in rum barrels ruined all pumpkin beers for me.

I really enjoy pumpkin beer. Usually I go out and buy what I call "rich people 40s" and it ends up being UFO most of the time. Southern Tier "Warlock" is an awesome pumpkin beer as well. The past 3 halloweens though, I keep getting deployed so I have been missing out on the best time of the season for beers! Drink one for me while I am away!

Pumpkin beers are okay. PumKing is good but a bit too much spice for my taste and their Warlock brew is way overrated imo. DogfishHead's Punkin Ale used to be my go to but the last couple of years I haven't really cared for it. Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale is okay and is widely available.

The only Pumpkin brew that blew me away this year was Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. Nice balance of sweet and spices, & tastes like pumpkin pie. Great stuff if you can find it on tap.

$pumpkin.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom