What's new

Proraso Balm - reformulated

Damn it. I've been using the now "old" liquid cream AS balm everyday. I love that stuff. I like that it is relatively thin, I don't like the sound of a thicker balm. Why do companies have to constantly reformulate?

Are they reformulating the traditional pre/post cream too? I really hope not. I use that everyday as a pre-shave for an easy, smooth shave.

Nice, thanks for the thread! I'm currently using Nivea AS balm and was thinking about blind purchasing some Proraso balm when my Nivea is gone as it seems to have so many dedicated fans. That seals the deal for me, Proraso it is! Geez at this rate it looks like my entire shave lineup is going Italian.

Damn it. I've been using the now "old" liquid cream AS balm everyday. I love that stuff. I like that it is relatively thin, I don't like the sound of a thicker balm. Why do companies have to constantly reformulate?

Are they reformulating the traditional pre/post cream too? I really hope not. I use that everyday as a pre-shave for an easy, smooth shave.

My concerns, exactly. I'm erring on the side of caution and picking up a case....

Based on your concern I ignored the 5+ bottles of Proraso's "old formula" ASB I still have and used the new one this morning, specifically checking the balm's consistency. I must confess I was wrong - the new formula isn't thicker, it's just that the new bottle with its square-edged design turns out to be less suited for a balm, even a liquid one. I really had to work the bottle to get the stuff out - but the balm itself is pretty much as thick (or thin) as ever.

Once again (and ignoring the dangers of sounding like a Proraso spokesman) I must stress that the new formula is absolutely fantastic. The balm is light, its scent fresh and fleeting and the performance regarding razorburn flawless. Proraso did a great job updating the ASB - you should really try it.

Based on your concern I ignored the 5+ bottles of Proraso's "old formula" ASB I still have and used the new one this morning, specifically checking the balm's consistency. I must confess I was wrong - the new formula isn't thicker, it's just that the new bottle with its square-edged design turns out to be less suited for a balm, even a liquid one. I really had to work the bottle to get the stuff out - but the balm itself is pretty much as thick (or thin) as ever.

Once again (and ignoring the dangers of sounding like a Proraso spokesman) I must stress that the new formula is absolutely fantastic. The balm is light, its scent fresh and fleeting and the performance regarding razorburn flawless. Proraso did a great job updating the ASB - you should really try it.

Well, I'm sure I will try it after I finish my current bottle. That is, unless I stock up on a bunch of the old formula before I can't find it anymore.

I don't like that they took out the witch hazel but I like that they added aloe. My skin seems to love aloe. If it's just as thin/thick as the old one then I may like it.

Good job on stocking the old formula. I enjoy how constantly over the top the members get here. 5 bottles ought to last you a long time.

I've had one bottle for about three years and it has a different scent than when I first bought it. Seems like maybe there's a shelf life on this stuff. It is kind of stale if you know what I mean. It still works good, but doesn't smell as nice. YMMV...

I always hate to hear of reformulations, though

That would be a crying shame if they discontinue the menthol scent. But I trust the reformulation will be outstanding as well

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Martelli company is doing a great job on the entire line. Can't wait to try the new splash!

This is big news (both good and bad)...:001_unsur

Anxious to try something new from a great and proven company, but no matter how much I may like the new stuff I am fairly certain I will still miss the old stuff. (Panic may set in if they take away the current/old? Pre-Post!)

Maybe they can keep producing the old stuff as a "Classic" product line?...

What do you guys think the shelf life of the old formulation is? It's one of the only aftershaves I get consistently good results with, and as it's not expensive I'm thinking of stocking up just in case.

It still contains Aluminum Starch so I will pass.

Why is that?

By the way: for the past two weeks I found myself frequently using the new balm instead of my giant stash of Proraso's old formula. Can't help it, I love this stuff.

I'm kind of on the fence here... I love the old stuff so much I can't imagine not having it around. And this isn't a "reformulated is always bad" comment. I'm sure it may be a top notch aftershave. But the old version just seem to have the perfect balance of cooling, moisturizing and scent for me.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is white stuff is just a part of the entire new line, which will include the classic green (eucalyptus menthol). I don't think you need to worry at all. I think :biggrin1:

Oh no! I just picked up the balm this week and love it! I've only been at this for a little over a month now, and have slowly been acquiring all of the Proraso products. I guess I could always pick up a few extras, my local pharmacy has quite a lot. I think I like the flask shaped bottle better than the new one they are producing. Someone posted a pick of the new box for the cream in the SOTD thread...I hope that formula didn't change...

If anyone buys multiple bottles of old stock, you might consider refrigerating them if you are concerned about a shelf life.

Top Bottom