What's new

Problems with heavy growth

Hi All,

I usually do not get a shave in on the weekends. Therefore on Monday morning I am pretty scruffy. I have been having loads of trouble with my first pass. Does not matter that the razor is sharp, lather is spot on and my prep is good I have a super difficult time when I get to the 'stache, goatee area and all of the neck area. I get lost of skip and drag. 2nd and third pass are smooth and easy.

I am guessing that it is inconsistent lather results, I have really been struggling with this latley. Mostly with lather being too dry, or drying out before I get to other side.

I admit I have a heavy Beard, and that my whiskers are more like fine wire than hair.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I am happy to provide more info if needed.

Jon

Are you going at the first pass at an angle or holding the blade almost flat? I find that going with a flat pass first really helps, generally do it even if its been only a day as I have 'thick' hair as well.

Probably too much of an angle, I tried flat passing recently, but my shave was not so close in the end. I will experiment with it though.

Jon

How many passes do you use, and with what angle do you do on the grain? Usually if I miss a couple o' days or more, I do a double with the grain pass. Maybe a blade with a sharper edge for those Monday mornings would also be beneficial? YMMV, but having someone else sharpen your blade might increase the whisker whacking ease, at least for those pesky Mondays. Best of luck!

Last edited:
No one ever said you have to finish a pass before relathering. If your lather is part of your problem reapply or refresh it between areas on each pass. If the lather seems dry add water and work it a little bit to refresh it. If you shave your easiest areas first, say cheeks and sideburns, refresh the lather on your neck, goatee, and 'stache. The next easiest area is probably the neck, shave that then refresh the goatee and 'stache. Proceed on refreshing lather as needed.

Phil

A more aggressive razor applied with a light touch seems to work in this situation for me, although I never get more than two days growth.

An open comb, an adjustable set on a higher number, or an injector might be the ticket. Another thought would be the Cobra Classic; that beast will mow down ANYTHING in its path.

@ Kingfisher. If I go that agressive with a DE it will leave me raw even with light pressure Kingfisher. With a straight I have none to very little irritation even with a 3 pass WTG, XTG, and ATG.

@ Phil. Thanks I will try that!

@Hippie. I have the best edge I can get from my coticule. It is a hard Dressante, and leaves a nice keen edge. Silently severs my Wife's fine hair on the HHT

Thanks all

Jon

Fresh out of the Shower, and have been shaving with the straight about 6 months. Wet Shaving for 4 years. Was a DE man before I went to the straight.

Jon

I am only ~30 straight shaves in so take what I say with a grain of salt. I also have heavy course growth. I found I have to do guillotine and/or slicing motion at least on my chin or I get lots of tugging. Try it out if you don't already. It's made a huge difference for me.

hmmm......that's weird. Just goes to show we're all different------I have thick, coarse fast-growing whiskers too, and my best shaves are when I have a few days growth!! The whiskers seem much easier (softer?) to shave then.

If your razor has a good edge, it should mow through a heavy beard like it wasn't there. That's one of the things I like about straight razor shaving. Sometimes I let my beard grow out a couple days just so I can enjoy plowing it (Shhh don't tell anyone I said that).

These guys will put a good edge on for you... they know what they are doing. :)

Top Bottom