What's new

Pre-Shave Recipe?

Pre-shave oil scent won't last very long - if you still want to add essential oils to layer on the scent - that's entirely up to you - such as with AOS products...so if you're fav shaving cream is lavender - then add some lavender essential oil

But to make a pre-shave oil you need a carrier/base oil and essential oils (optional)

Use one of the following oils as your base or carrier oil:Olive oil, Coconut oil, Palm oil, Sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil, Sesame oil, Grape seed oil

If you want to use essential oils - add 5-10 drops per ounce of carrier oil - start with 5 drops per ounce of carrier oil - add more if needed - essential oils are very strong and can irritate if you use too much - so better to start with less and build up!

Some popular essential oils are: Lavender, Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Bergamot

I personally only use almond oil - it's unscented and works wonders! I also prefer my cream to provide all the scent and follow up with an unscented ASB (Nivea Soothing ASB)

What I recommend is that you get the base almond oil from Bodyshop or any other similar shop - try and find a spray bottle (I bought one from Muji) - and fill the oil into the spray bottle - this provides you with measured quantities every time you want to use the oil - not too much not too little - one spray should be enough - if I have a short beard - I use two sprays - there's no need to use any more!

hope that helps :001_smile

I follow the same principles but use Apricot Kernel Oil (similar to Sweet Almond) I then add an antiseptic and a conditioning essential oil.

I used Castor, Oilve, and Macademia Nut Oils the last time, (I made way too much, ahha), but the smell of Olive Oil is kind of annoying.

If I did it again I wouldn't use olive.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My most luxurious shaves so far, wash face with Noxema, apply Jojoba oil (little scent), shower, uber lather with Proraso & VDH, shave, Pinaud Bay Rum AS.

After finding out about pre-shave oils (something I never knew existed until I stumbled upon The Art of Shaving's web site) I was entrigued when I tried it. I had purchased a starter kit from T.A.O.S. and loved it; All the elements of the kit. Then when that ran out, my daughter purchased me a full sized kit for Fathers Day.
Well, the pre shave oil ran out, and at $23.00 for a 2 oz. bottle, I figured I should try something else. I tried an oil from Pacific Shaving Products, it stunk like turpentine and I was not at all satisfied. So I went on line and after several readings, I found Badger & Blade.
After reading some recipies, I tried mixing some myself. The first thing I did wrong was to buy food grade castor and grapeseed oil (that set me back about $14.00) Should you purchase mixing oils, be sure to get skin/cosmetic grade. Luckily there wasn't a food grade essential oil!
So I went to Sprouts (formally Henry's Market) and purchased a 4 fl. oz. bottle of The Palma Christi Castor Oil, a 4 fl. oz. bottle of Aura Cacia Grapeseed Oil, and a
1 fl. oz. bottle of NOW Lemon Essential Oil.
It was a convienent purchase because they were all located at the same end cap space, and totalled about $20.00. I started small using a measured teaspoon as to not be wasteful experimenting and mixed 50/50 with the castor and grapeseed oils, then I added about 5 drops of the essential oil. It was every bit as good as TAOS's pre shave oil.
I also tried Corn Huskers as a pre shave oil/lotion, it seemed to do the job very well too plus it is plenty cheap enough.
I am still searching for a good shave cream. I like TAOS's shave cream, but again....Very Costly plus their container is very deceiving, you don't get as much as you think; The container tapers to a bowl about 2/3 of the way to the bottom, so it is not as deep as it looks.......RIPOFF! The Art of Shaving's products are expensive enough without being deceitful.
DISCLAIMER: As my screen name, I am not a professional skin care person, barber, doctor, or any other trained epeduralist. So anything you try, you do so at your own risk. I am only sharing my personal experience and I DO NOT accept responsibility for any mishaps you may encounter copying it. You are on your own!

Last edited:
Just made a batch with a recipe I found in ShaveWiki. Olive, Castor, jojoba, Rose Seed, and one other that escapes me now. Works great - as good as the $23 Aer of Shaving stuff and Waaaaay less expensive. I think I can go for a year on the $40 I spent on oils.

Sorry for the thread resurrection but this is the one that a search for 'pre shave oil recipes' gave me.

Has anyone got a good current recipe for their pre-shave oil?

I'm going to give it a try and my thoughts are along the lines of mixing the following:
1) A base oil - either grapeseed, castor or olive or a blend of 2 or more of these
2) Other beneficial oils - Argan, coconut, jojoba for extra skin conditioning/glide
3) Essential oil - The world is my oyster. Maybe some lavender, rosemary and mint for fragrance

Any tips on percentages of each type of oil would be appreciated.
Also if there are other oils I should consider.
Thanks

So.. since this has been resurrected....

I just bought a travel kit AOS PSO (the sandalwood scent), and my wife really likes the scent. The only issue (like others have said) is that it is very expensive. What essential oils would you add to an olive oil / castor oil 50/50 mix to recreate that smell?

...If you can't tell, I am in no way a chemist...

On the principle that I didn't need anything fancy, I tried some good quality olive oil (what was on the kitchen counter) in a small squirt bottle with a few drops of tea tree oil for its antiseptic properties. It is excellent! My shaves are better and my skin feels better than without the oil. The other preshave treatment I tried was Proraso Green pre/post cream, and that was so overloaded with menthol and eucalyptus that I cannot ever do that again.

Maybe because I cook with a lot of olive oil, I like the scent. The tea tree oil scent comes through even though it is just a few drops. I don't mind it either.

I might try a drop of another essential oil some day, to add another subtle fragrance.

The standard disclaimer about not being a dermatologist... I am qualified to rub things on my own face, however, and decide for myself if it is working.

Top Bottom