What's new

Pre-Shave Recipe?

I've got a bottle of the AoS unscented that I got as a gift...still trying to figure out how to apply it so that it goes on smoothly and evenly...man that stuff is thick!

Gunks up the razor too...not sure if I buy into the whole pre-shave oil routine. Trumpers SF seems to work just fine.

Here's what works for me:

Shower (or no...doesn't really matter).

Wet face with hot water
Trumpers SF
Hot towel for 1-3 minutes
More hot water to rinse of the SF
Apply SS or SC
Shave

I've gotten great results with this technique...a variation of Kyles that takes less time IMHO.

I think the hot towel is the most important step in any shaving routine.

Where do you find skin food in the DC area, Grooming Lounge?

So, you do not apply soap or cream over the Skin Food? Just curious because I apply soap or cream over my homemade pre-shave oil.

I like to use pure glycerin. It's cheap, keeps the beard soft and warm, easy to get from any drug store or Wal-Mart or grocery store, will not gunk up a brush and I can add whatever scent I like to it.

I to tried the aos preshave oil and if it was any thicker i would lube my car with it....But if as you say it has olive oil in it i might need the first pressed extra virgin...for my baby

pre-shave oil recipe:

80 olive oil
20 castor oil
earl grey tea leavesd
cloves

i mortar&pestle earl grey tea leaves and some cloves to a rough powder

add to oil and let soak a few days-1 week; i've even microwaved the oil and tea mix to hopefully extract some more scent from the tea;

shake/stir periodically

let it sit 1 day, then i use a syringe to pull off clean/particle free oil;

then u can use either the syringe or a deopper to apply the oil to your mug!!!

Sometimes I make my own, sometimes i buy it

A great deal for PSO's is JR Watkins Lavender or Lemon Body Oil

They have real essential oils of Lavender (or Lemon), along with a bunch of moisturizing oils :thumbup1:

Also, using non-lathering creams in the shower really help.

I use pre-shave products on occasion, though (If my skin is winter dried, or roughed up from the previous shave)

Last edited:
W

weeznak308

I never considered using olive oil, I was afraid it would cause acne but every recipe I have found uses either olive or grapeseed oil. I considered using a combination of mineral oil (baby oi), avocado oil, and vitamin E oil because I have really dry skin. Has anyone tried these? After doing some research I think I will use a combination of olive, coconut, and vitamin E and no essential oils since I like the smell of my shave soap.

A lot of the oils discussed here will clog pores. I would not recommend use them as a pre-shave that you rub directly into your skin.

If I were going to use oil, I would use a couple drops of jojoba oil and/or pure glycerin. Those things will moisturize but not clog pores.

For about $10, I got olive oil (~$4/8oz.), grapeseed oil (GS)(~$4/8oz) and Castor oil (~$2/ 8oz.). I also have some left-over YoungLivingEssentialOil (YLEO). The possible combinations are more than I want to experiment.

Since I have sensitive skin (and smell). I settled for the ratio of 1:1:1 of just the 3 oils. Olive and GS is lighter, so they help dilute the heavier/ thicker Castor oil.

To handout my home-made concoction to my wet-shaving friends, I mix in 2 drops of clove and 1 drop of peppermint per oz of oil.

But the bottom line is pre-shave oil give me a closer and more comfortable shave.

I made pre-shave oil at Xmas and gave it as gifts for all the men in our family. They loved it, and many of their wives started using it as hand and skin moisturizer. I have had to refill most of the bottles I gave them. My mixture was 50/50 of extra virgin olive oil and Castor oil. I added several drops of Lavender Oil which is also very good for your skin. For my personal use I do the same but also add tea tree oil, and peppermint oil. It works wonderful for a pre-shave, but I also use it when I shave at night I will put it on as a post shave balm. My skin feels great and I now have less acne then ever which seemed odd.

I just buy it. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one and it lasts me forever. I guess I just don't feel like making my own. I'll admit I don't use one everytime I shave though. Sometimes I just don't bother.

While I would never go against another Steve McQueen fan; I use straight olive oil if I want a pre shave. I don't use a pre shave evey time. I use it only when my beard is longer or my skin feels bad.

Olive oil is always on hand and it works great.

Trader Joe's Organic Olive Oil does the trick for me-it looks cloudy-and use half the amount you would with a manufactured pre-shave oil.

I tried grape seed oil the other day and did not like at all.

attachment.php

I've been using Jojoba oil as a pre-shave this week, and I have been loving the effects.

I don't normally shave every day, as the whiskers aren't very long after 24 hours, and the skin seems to like the day off as well.

But, I'm away on a business trip this week, so a shave every day is what I do to pamper myself. What I've been doing is rubbing some jojoba on my face/neck in the evening (talk about PRE-shave!), and let it soak in, then wipe down my face with a towel and hit the sack.

In the morning, I take a hot shower, as per usual, get the whiskers nice and soaked, then rub in some jojoba....I make sure to wash my hands, as a slippery hand and a straight is no way to start any day...

Lather up and shave as per usual after that. Nothing particularly noteworthy as far as adding to the shave goes that I could discern, but the condition it leaves my skin is quite noticeable. 3 pass shave every day, no problemo.

For me, if I choose to use a PSO, and while believing they can really help I seldom do use them these days, I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on its own. I find this works great, and its as good as, if not better than, ANY PSO by any manufacturer.

Best thing is hair conditioner. It softens up the beard. A mans beard is stronger than copper wire of the same diameter. The hair conditioner shrinks the cuticle in the hair causing it to be soft and floppy and easy to shave. That's the way to go. :thumbup1:

i found an unopened container of coconut oil in my pantry. the expiration date says 01/2010, so it's well over a year old. will this still serve as an effective pre-shave oil?

i haven't used a pre-shave oil yet, and i would love to add some soothing to my skin :) thank you in advance!

Top Bottom