What's new

Post what nagging injury you have, but still exercise/workout with it.

nerve bundle down into my left leg, ruptured disc between L5-S1, (stabilized with frame and pins 2010), I still take opioid pain meds 5 years later 3x daily...

just not going away

oh, and I'll add degenerative nerve disease in/around my toes

damnit

Wow, that's brutal. My mom was hooked on opioids, kicked it cold turkey after several years, then tried medical Marijuana (not in the US, she got a permit, legal, etc). It helped her a lot.

I keep waiting for doctors/science to come up with a fix.

I had to have a total hip replacement four years ago due to a genetic problem.
I was in heavy pain for about five years prior to the operation. I tried to tough it out.
I had studied the Japanese martial arts most of my life and, in fact, the impact was devastating. I had to give training up entirely. I was so bad I had trouble getting around the block. Really depressing...
After the operation and rehab, I have been able to resume some training including light weight exercise that doesn't stress the hip, jogging a couple of miles and hiking ( recently did a twelve mile ). I have been able to return to M.A. but restrict myself to kata.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Two torn rotor cuffs, shin splints, arthritis, tendonitis, and bursitis darn near everywhere. I only walk and do isometrics. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I watch what I eat and walk 25 miles or so a week.
I think we r twins!!
but once I get out of bed in the morning and start walking, I feel better and am pretty much good for the rest of my day.
getting old didn't suck. Being old does though.

Turned my left ankle while walking the dog about 2 months ago. I felt something go "twang." Couldn't run on it for about 2 weeks. I'm also a swimmer, which has definitely helped, but I still feel my ankle and some discomfort up my leg to my knee when I hit about the 4 mile mark. I run every other day, and swim in between, which seems to keep me going.

Back in 2004, i dislocated my left shoulder while doing brazilian jiu jitsu. It "healed" but every now and then it cracks. I'm sure theres scar tissue there. And i'll eventually get surgery on it. But as long as i do lateral raises and overall shoulder work, it keeps the pain at bay.

Good. Like anything, not all chiropractors are equal, hope you're lucky enough to find a good one.

Deadliftin did help a lot. I did 4 months of cardio only after the herniation, but soon got irritated with that, asked my chiropractors, and he recommended Deadliftin. I started with the bar alone, 5 sets of 5, then 10, for around a month, then added 5lbs a week. I always did cardio before my workout, to ensure I was warm, and I always started with just the bar when I started lifting.

After a while I set a goal of running 2 Mikes in 12 minutes on the treadmill, then immediately Deadliftin 405. Random, but a decent level of fitness. I worked up to 355 for 1 rep before deciding it was too risky for my back.

I don't deadlift now, I do kettlebells, and started judo after the injury, earning my black belt recently. All of the above has taught me that the more I strengthen the core, the better my back feels. It's been an 8-9 year process, but I'm getting better and better. I just wish I had done a lot of this much sooner!

Congrats on this. And I have been recommended that I work on my core muscles which I'm going to do. And see a chiropractor

Since joining the army:Torn ac joint in my right shoulderTorn right meniscus And a broken left ankle leading to:Loose ankle tendons, plantar fasciitis, and a pinched sciatic nerve. Not a lot I can do about it. I just keep pushing through and ice and take ibuprofen when needed. That's a step up from "take a knee and drink water," though.

Back in 2004, i dislocated my left shoulder while doing brazilian jiu jitsu. It "healed" but every now and then it cracks. I'm sure theres scar tissue there. And i'll eventually get surgery on it. But as long as i do lateral raises and overall shoulder work, it keeps the pain at bay.

Tap early, tap fast. :p

Good. Like anything, not all chiropractors are equal, hope you're lucky enough to find a good one.

Deadliftin did help a lot. I did 4 months of cardio only after the herniation, but soon got irritated with that, asked my chiropractors, and he recommended Deadliftin. I started with the bar alone, 5 sets of 5, then 10, for around a month, then added 5lbs a week. I always did cardio before my workout, to ensure I was warm, and I always started with just the bar when I started lifting.

After a while I set a goal of running 2 Mikes in 12 minutes on the treadmill, then immediately Deadliftin 405. Random, but a decent level of fitness. I worked up to 355 for 1 rep before deciding it was too risky for my back.

I don't deadlift now, I do kettlebells, and started judo after the injury, earning my black belt recently. All of the above has taught me that the more I strengthen the core, the better my back feels. It's been an 8-9 year process, but I'm getting better and better. I just wish I had done a lot of this much sooner!

Congratulations on achieving Sho Dan in Judo. That is a landmark for sure, especially because Kano's Kodokan standards are high.
I am curious ... how big are you. I'm 5'10" 200 lbs. A 400 dead lift was beyond me (even before the hip problem). Did you do it stiff leg or bent knee. I used to do a set or two with 200 Lbs, but I was always afraid of throwing something out with heavy lbs. Same fear with squats, bench press. Come to think of it that's why I never tried power lifting lol.

Thanks! It's a pretty nice achievement, for the reason you specified, and my dojo is very traditional. Bit it's also just the beginning of a very long journey. I started too late, I wish I had done it way earlier. Both my daughters do it, and I'm very proud of them for it, 5 years now at 9 and 13 years old.

I'm 6'0",185lbs. 405 is definitely attainable for us both, I'm sure, it's just a matter of being smart, warming up properly, and having a good program. I have a powerlifter friend, who holds a world record, and he helped a lot. You have to be super methodical.

Alex, like this guy is doing:

proxy.php

basically one lunge after another.

-jim
That looks stressful to your knees...

I have a lot of lower back pain. I'm going to get an X-ray done soon.

When I first went to the doctor he said no X-ray needed you pulled a muscle but it didn't seem like it. It's been 2 and a half months
When are you going?

I had reconstructive surgery on my anterior and posterior ligaments in my right knee, surgery that almost killed me. I can't do an awful lot on my right knee now, but still use a cross trainer fairly regularly and do long walks to ensure I don't turn into a couch potato. I just have to minimise impact on the knee and I can do a fair bit :smile:
How long was your rehab?

I have a lot of lower back pain. I'm going to get an X-ray done soon.

When I first went to the doctor he said no X-ray needed you pulled a muscle but it didn't seem like it. It's been 2 and a half months

Doesn't that impair your breathing?

Heck yes. It was popping in and out randomly, which really hurt too, was hard to sleep, run, get in and out of the car. It would have been better to break it.

Top Bottom