What's new

please share amazing quotes and wise words

The harder you work the luckier you get.

Sales: Sales is like fishing, the more calls you make the more chances you have to make a sale.
Fishing: The more casts you make the more chances you have to catch a fish.

Told to me by a self made millionaire: You can be successful at anything you do. If you choose to pick up soda cans, pick up one more than the other guy.

My Father: Changing jobs is ok to better yourself, just make sure you have a written offer on hand. Also, never quit the job you currently have until you have another job.

I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people get angry and quit, only to realize they should have had another job. They put themselves in a horrible financial position.

Positions that are verbally offered may be rescinded. Get a written contract.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
But what does it mean? I have given it some thought, more than once, and I do not seem to be able to get it!
I viewed it along the lines that some people think knowledge is like gold and should be hoarded, when actually knowledge is like loving. The more you give away, the more you have (or get).
There's not a finite quantity, everyone gets the same identical piece, and it's not deplenished in any way.

My Father: Changing jobs is ok to better yourself, just make sure you have a written offer on hand. Also, never quit the job you currently have until you have another job.

I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people get angry and quit, only to realize they should have had another job. They put themselves in a horrible financial position.

Positions that are verbally offered may be rescinded. Get a written contract.
Sort of like the first law of wing walking, "don't let go of what you've got ahold of until you get hold of something else!" A good rule for life in lots of respects.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." Seneca, the great Roman Stoic philosopher

My Dad used to say that "all things come to he who waits, if he who waits works like heck while he is waiting."
I went to work for my dad right out of high school. I didn’t have a choice as he needed help and it was non negotiable. He was a painting contractor.

I asked him about the hours and he said we are going to work sixes . I thought it was the best thing I had ever heard because I had been working in a restaurant 8 plus hours a day. I misunderstood, it was six days a week from 6am to 6pm. When I had to get another job due to winter coming, I felt like 8 hours was a part time job. It taught me a lot about hard work.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
But what does it mean? I have given it some thought, more than once, and I do not seem to be able to get it!
Rob:
My guess is the author believes if the center of the pie is God/Allah/Jehovah/YHWH et.al...then no matter what the 'physical' percentages are...God will not favor 'one over the other'. Shoulder Shrug.jpg

proxy.php
"A quote is just a tattoo on the tongue". William F. DeVault

Interesting take. Refreshingly Ecumenical. Do you know who the quote is from? My sense is it seems more directed to the Monotheistic religions of the west/middle east than to the eastern religions or ancient abd native relgions.

Everyone is "entitled" to the "same slice". Not the equivalent slice. or the same value, but the very same slice. An interesting way to put it.

Love this.
Thanks for saying. I used to not like this quote, because it seemed like an overly cute, rather redundant way of just saying "you can't ignore reality" or "you ignore reality at your peril." However, I have come to think of it as adding some additional nuance of meaning. It is not the ignoring of reality that gets one, so much as it is reality itself that gets one.

There is a good quote from one of the Stoic philosophers, I think, that is sort of similar, along the lines of "circumstances do not care how you feel."

Also, it calls to mind the quip that "It is not the falling through the air that kills you. It is the landing."

A completely different concept, but here is a quote attributed to Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche: "The bad news is, you’re falling through the air, nothing to hang on to, no parachute. The good news is, there’s no ground."

Also, for some reason, the Ron White story about the strong man who wanted to show how tough he was by tying himself to pole in the middle of a hurricane. "It is not that the wind is blowing, it is what it is blowing. You might be able to stand up to a 100 mph wind, but not to a VW bus carried by that wind!"

I worked a story many years ago, was told little about the person I was sent to photograph except he was disabled tennis player.

Gentleman was one of a kind his parent did not allow him to think he was disabled. He was told he was “different”, and could accomplish anything.

By Improvising, adapting, and overcoming.

Let’s say he did, is still doing, not disabled, just different.

I worked a story many years ago, was told little about the person I was sent to photograph except he was disabled tennis player.

Gentleman was one of a kind his parent did not allow him to think he was disabled. He was told he was “different”, and could accomplish anything.

By Improvising, adapting, and overcoming.

Let’s say he did, is still doing, not disabled, just different.
As a disabled person, I can say, that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you 😊.

Top Bottom