What's new

Gillette Tech ("Regus")

Hey y'all. I'm a long-time lurker who very much appreciates this place. Just wanted to share that I spent a couple of days searching for Gillette Regus(es) on the auction sites based on some advice herein, and ended up scoring a nice Tech this afternoon for a good price from a gent who definitely knows what he has but also has a healthy sense of humor. Love this community. Thanks!

Hi,

I am currently using my Dad's post-war Regus Patoff in the Fixed Four For March Madness.

And his leftover Old Spice shaving soap. Dad passed in 1995, and he still had two mugs with the OS still in them. Mom was good for buying him a new mug of the stuff every Christmas. So, even though the OS was long gone by the time he passed, there were still two left.

I usually use a Fasan DoubleSlant and my own soap mix, but there are times I get Dad's stuff out. I am reminded of how much better a shaver the Fasan is, but the old Tech isn't bad. ;)

Stan

Hi,

I am currently using my Dad's post-war Regus Patoff in the Fixed Four For March Madness.

And his leftover Old Spice shaving soap. Dad passed in 1995, and he still had two mugs with the OS still in them. Mom was good for buying him a new mug of the stuff every Christmas. So, even though the OS was long gone by the time he passed, there were still two left.

I usually use a Fasan DoubleSlant and my own soap mix, but there are times I get Dad's stuff out. I am reminded of how much better a shaver the Fasan is, but the old Tech isn't bad. ;)

Stan

Congrats!! Great to be able to use and enjoy memories from your Dad!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Correction to my above post: My incoming Regus has no date code and the oval slots, which makes it post-war, I believe.

Here are a couple of pics. She's been around the block but overall looks pretty solid.
Tech 1.jpg

Tech 4.jpg

Nice looking Tech. Should provide a great shave. The orange color on the handle comes from the lacquer Gillette applied over the gold finish. Be careful if you polish it. That gold wash is very thin and it is easy to remove if you are not careful. To be honest, I have found the lacquer is impossible to remove without damaging the gold wash. These days, I just give the vintage razors a good cleaning and use them as is, no polishing. I ruined the finish on several vintage New LCs by over polishing and removing all of the gold wash.

Nice looking Tech. Should provide a great shave. The orange color on the handle comes from the lacquer Gillette applied over the gold finish. Be careful if you polish it. That gold wash is very thin and it is easy to remove if you are not careful. To be honest, I have found the lacquer is impossible to remove without damaging the gold wash. These days, I just give the vintage razors a good cleaning and use them as is, no polishing. I ruined the finish on several vintage New LCs by over polishing and removing all of the gold wash.
Good to know - I appreciate the input! I think I can live with the wonky lacquer and am happy to avoid polishing. Will report back once it arrives and I give it a spin.

I'm really curious to see how this guy shaves. I've read so much about Techs but have never owned one. My go-to shaves are Rockwell 6c, R4 plate, or 1966 Slim (also a Regus Patoff, BTW) at 5 or 6. I also recently acquired a Leaf Twig and was surprised by how much I like it. I generally use Nacets or Perma-sharps in all three, although I recently popped a GSB into the Slim, and after dialing it up to 7, really enjoyed the shave.

Just wanted to share that I spent a couple of days searching for Gillette Regus(es) on the auction sites based on some advice herein, and ended up scoring a nice Tech this afternoon for a good price from a gent who definitely knows what he has but also has a healthy sense of humor.

Now I'm starting to wonder, do you get the REGUS PATOFF joke or not, @DHowz?
Yeah I think he does ;)

Am I the only one who notices the handle and cap are one colour (gold) and the bottom plate is from another razor (nickel)?
No, I noticed it too, but it didn't concern me - I suspected that was why the price was low. I had assumed that they were from the same era and that the razor would shave the same (the bars are straight and the blade gap is consistent). Is that not a safe assumption?

Top Bottom