What's new

Plastic Containers for After Shave.

After receiving a couple of samples of After Shave in plastic containers, I have noticed that I haven't liked what I received. As most After Shave products seem to be sold in glass containers, I was wondering if the samples being kept in plastic could somehow have an effect on the strength of scent or the actual scent of the product itself? If so, I guess I'll just have to pony up and buy he full products without sampling them first. Any input from the forum is appreciated.

While I definitely prefer my *** in a glass bottle, if I receive a sample I don't mind the plastic. The samples most likely haven't bee sitting too long in the plastic.

Oxygen and the solvents in the splash do pull out some plastic smell. I decant all my plastic bottles to glass once I open them and start using it. I think a full plastic bottle is mostly immune to the issue due to a small airspace, but as the space increases, and fresh oxygen is frequently added the process accelerates.

there are a few threads on decanting AS. I've been picking up old Avon bottles to transfer my plastic stuff.

Plastic doesn't always hurt aftershave, but it can, depending on the type of plastic used. I wouldn't think that samples of aftershave have been in the plastic long enough to affect them much, unless they have been exposed to heat. You could invest in a few small glass bottles that you transfer your plastic samples into, upon receipt. Let them sit a week before using them. Most aftershave will rebound nicely after being placed in glass.

In the US, most traditional aftershaves have switched from glass to plastic. Most of theses really do need to be switched to glass (in my opinion). Pinaud is the worst, and should be decanted immediately. The plastic they use is horrible. Most artisans still use glass, so that's good at least.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oxygen and the solvents in the splash do pull out some plastic smell. I decant all my plastic bottles to glass once I open them and start using it. I think a full plastic bottle is mostly immune to the issue due to a small airspace, but as the space increases, and fresh oxygen is frequently added the process accelerates.

I think this is it, and half-empty glass is best storage as the liquid interacts with the air as noted above- but in he case of glass, positively, as it outgasses.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an A.C. Moore, Michael's, or hobby lobby nearby you can get awesome little glass bottles with cork stoppers for less than a dollar. I use a ton of them and they work great.

proxy.php

Look in the medicine cabinet. That's where I keep my aftershaves.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mine were like $2 from Specialty Bottle, but they do charge shipping ... which, on careful glass packaging, is reasonable.

AA

Great. Now I need to find glass bottles that I can store aftershave in. THANKS GUYS. :lol:

this is actually a lot of fun. I have spent a ton of time sifting through antique malls and flea markets looking for special bottles for my aftershaves. i have even gotten to the point on a couple different occasions where i had to go buy more aftershaves to fill my bottles!

this is actually a lot of fun. I have spent a ton of time sifting through antique malls and flea markets looking for special bottles for my aftershaves. i have even gotten to the point on a couple different occasions where i had to go buy more aftershaves to fill my bottles!

I've been doing this as well. Seems like a great combo, old glass and old razors.

Also The Container Store. Brick and mortar or online, they have everything. I get great tins for soap pucks there too.

Top Bottom