What's new

Pizza!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Happy with this pepperoni and fresh mozz!

IMG_1096.JPG

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Tried more of a NY style than my usual softer Neapolitan crust.
50/50 AP and "00" King Arthur, 65% hyd.
Came out OK, could have gone higher temp -- I was about 710*F and the peppers weren't cooked.
Been using the PizzApp+ on my phone. Fun!

1st2024.JPG

My first attempt at NYC in the Ooni also needs more browning on the bottom. I went a bit conservative on the temp and kept it at around 550 F, which is obviously too low. I'll get the temp higher next time and drop it down to low when I launch the pizza so that the top doesn't cook too fast. This should get the stone hotter and cook the bottom better.

Came out OK, could have gone higher temp -- I was about 710*F and the peppers weren't cooked.

View attachment 1773619

View attachment 1773619
Wife's out of town, it's 60 degrees outside, so I figured I'd give this NY Style recipe a shot. It was good, but the bottom didn't get browned enough. I may have to bump up the temp a bit, tried to keep it at around 550 F per the recipe, but it may need to be higher. I used King Arthur AP Flour at ~63 % hydration, per the recipe.

View attachment 1769781View attachment 1769782View attachment 1769783View attachment 1769784View attachment 1769785

what kind of oven is that? doesn't look like the bottom stone is sufficiently hot. I see that it's gas fired, do you have the option for wood firing?. We used to used king Arthur flour .However, we noticed it doesn't cook as good as the " gold standard" in flour that everyone in New Haven uses.. Everyone in New Haven uses a very popular brominated flour, not expensive natural flour., or 00 flour Making pizza at home is very complicated..And if the bottom of the pizza isn't cooking, turning up the temperature may cause the top to burn before the bottom undercarriage cooks properly. are you using live active yeast? Sour dough?

Last edited:
It’s an Ooni Koda 16 which is gas fired. It can get quite hot, >800f. This was my first attempt at this recipe, it called for 550f, which is what the stone temp was. Thinking the stone needs to be hotter. What flour do they use in/for New Haven? I’m guessing Sir Lancelot or All Trumps?

I’m thinking if I crank up the temp and get the stone hotter, I can turn it way down before launching the pizza. This way the stone will be much hotter, but hopefully I won’t burn the top. This approach works well for my Neapolitan style.
IMG_0016.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg

All trumps high gluten is a great flour for pizza.. It's no wonder everyone uses it. I've experimented with most brands of high quality imported Flour and nothing beats all trumps. Sir lancelot and most other king Arthur flours are to soft and don't cook properly in a wood burning oven. They are great multi propose flours. All trumps cooks better, rises mmore, and gets a better color when used for pizza. It used to be inexpensive back in the day, but its getting pricey..

Some tips for getting a better cooked under carriage..

Aging/ proofing the dough longer.. I would recommend letting it proof it at least 24 to 36 hours in the refrigerator. Depending on the amount of yeast in your receipe.

If your in a rush leave out the dough at room temp, and double or triple your yeast levels.

Possibly adding some Vegatable oil or olive oil into you dough.. Even some sugar believe it or not

Does the stone temp vary by location? . I'm. Sure near the opening it's the coldest.. I would Suttle it into the hottest spot until it hardens or stops growing then move it to the coldest to finish cooking.

Using Live active yeast is best, or this SAF product..

Another thing that can hinder undercarriage cooking is having to much flour and or corn meal on the bottom of the crust. It's also a good Idea to not let the dough sit covered in flour for to long before it goes into the oven. Some peoe over due it with the flour

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240106_120201_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240106_120201_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ahhh..great minds think alike. I did most of the things you mentioned. The dough had a 1 hour room temp rise, then it was into the fridge for 36 hours. Then it sat at room temp for 4 hours before baking. Here's the recipe for 2 pies:

KA AP Flour: 419 G
Water: 260G
Yeast: 1G SAF Red Label IDY (same as your pic)
5.9 G's Sugar, I used honey
Olive Oil: 8G
Salt: 10.5 G

I use Caputo Semolina on the peel.

This was my first attempt at NY Style. The recipe calls for using a home oven, but I figured I'd have more range in temp with the Ooni, so I went that route. As with my Neapolitan, it took a few tries to get it down, but we finally figured out what works for us.

I definitely want to try my hand at some New Haven Style, but it may pose a challengeg to source All Trumps in anything other than a 50 pd bag, at least that's all I could find the last time I checked. That said, a quick search on the net turned this up, which is about 45 minutes away. Might be worth the trip, but again, I'll never use 50 lbs, too bad I couldn't find someone local to go in with me on it, but it's only $25, I pay about that for 2 1 kilo bags of Caputo Pizzeria shipped, LOL.

Anyway, half the fun is experimenting...

Last edited:
I was recently bemoaning the loss of two Allied Metal Spinning 14"square "Black Beauty" steel Sicilian pizza pans as the manufacturer went out of business during the pandemic. Went up into the attic in my parent's garage and lo and behold there they were. I'd completely forgotten that I stashed them up there for safekeeping. Just a tiny bit of surface rust on both and so I have been re-seasoning them. Have done about 8-9 "sessions" on each pan.

I recently discovered that a pizzeria in AZ has collaborated with a custom metal shop to make these awesome pans again (they're 12" x 12". The company is called Smiling With Hope Enterprises. If you are familiar with pizzamaking.com you'll know that Walter is the guy behind this project. These pans are raw steel as the formulation for the "black buster" finish died with the sole employee who applied said finish to the pans.

As these are made in small batches they are frequently out of stock but come back in stock fairly quickly.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I spent much of the last year exploring pan pizzas and foccacia, mainly because I like them and the style fits pretty well with my summer oven (Wisco 421). I was looking forward to cool temps so I could crank up the inside oven again. Since fall I've been playing with thinner crust hearth pizzas and exploring the whole minimalist thing. Now that we're in another year I'm starting to think about what gets planted in the gardens, and what kinds of pizza I want to make next.

One thing I have to accommodate with the Wisco is that the heat ratios between the top and underside favour a thin pizza and tend to leave pan pies a little underdone on the bottom. I addressed that to some extent by par-baking the crust and then topping it and returning it to the oven, but it wasn't ideal.

I tried putting a baking steel in the Wisco, but the rack arrangement won't take the mass of the plate plus pan of pizza. However! I will drop by the scrap yard and get a hunk of 1/8 steel and try that. If that works I should be able to launch hearth pizzas into the Wisco.

Our home oven maxes out at 525F. Putting a large chunk of 1/4" steel plate in there and letting it soak for 45 minutes does a reasonable job on a hearth pizza. It'll be interesting to see how the changes for the other oven work out, later this year.

O.H.

Top Bottom