What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Emptied my jar of 2021 Cringle Flake and it was only around a quarter bowl on the 2018 Larrysson LE, so I topped it off with 2019 Cringle Flake. Hopefully there will be no disturbance in the pipeverse. The other pipe this evening is a J. Everett with Sutliff Mark Twain. I'll be having that whisky I mentioned last night, which turned out to be iced coffee.
20240511.jpg

Last night I visited one of the local cigar-and-pipe stores. The clerk was pleasant, but he knew nothing much about pipes or pipe tobacco. (He'd never heard of deer tongue, for example, which is right there in the tins of Gentleman Caller he had for sale.) I had no burning desire (pun gleefully intended) to buy anything. Though they did have Luxury Twist Flake in bulk; I should have grabbed some.

Anyway, I'm mixing up a bit of cigarillo with My Mixture 965 for smoking in the Orlik Large Chimney this morning. A cheerful Sunday to you!

I failed to post last nights smokes, so here you go. Blakeney's Best Tawny Flake in the Northern Briar Rox Cut Regal Jade Panel; WC Blue Ridge Special in the Radice Rind Billiard w/faux bamboo shank; Sutliff Match 20 in an old Royal Danish 983. Vodka Ranch Water on the side.
20240512.jpg

This morning I return to the porch to listen to the birds celebrating the passing of the thunder storms while I puff BCA from a Starfire.

I can't seem to smoke black cavendish straight up, but I've been mixing a bowl of Carter Hall with a pinch of Smoker's Pride black cavendish and it seems to perfectly satisfy my aromatic craving, without being too sweet. It's a wonderfully mindless smoke.

I'm attempting a couple cobs this evening. Attempting as the temperature has dropped 20 degrees quite quickly and the TV weather guys are all excited. I've a bit of shelter from the prevailing wind, so I'll give it a go. The Charles Towne Cobbler is stuffed with Mac Barren HH Burley Flake; the Norm Christmas Cob sports Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed. Whisky on the side.
20240513.jpg

I can't seem to smoke black cavendish straight up, but I've been mixing a bowl of Carter Hall with a pinch of Smoker's Pride black cavendish and it seems to perfectly satisfy my aromatic craving, without being too sweet. It's a wonderfully mindless smoke.
Sounds like a great recipe. I have some too-sweet Queen Anne's Revenge from the local pipe-and-cigar shop; now and then I will mix a pinch in with a burley like Edgeworth Match.

As it happens, Edgeworth is part of my smoke this morning, with a little Stirling Flake for strength. Pipe: the Dr. Grabow "Commodore" Canadian; chicory coffee on the side.

Last edited:
I find BCA to be my comfort smoke. I find it quite pleasant and I can get a long smoke from a bowl of it if I pack it correctly.

This foggy morning, I am comfortably smoking it on the porch in my newer Grabow Starfire.

Morning pipe after breakfast: my first try at C & D's Crooner. I loaded it into a small pipe I don't use much (and I don't know why), a Steel's Deluxe Zulu with the little carburetor port at the bottom of the bowl. As usual with a blend new to me, I kept the smoke down to about ten minutes. The stuff burns easily, and I'm aware that it is strong. Perhaps it's one I need to mix with something milder like Edgeworth.

I have to say, I like the ease of loading the pipe and keeping the cube-cut leaf going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom