What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

P & W #400 in a Yanik meerschaum skull...
proxy.php

wow that's gorgeous Aaron!!! I mean Gorgeous! with a capital G! It reminds me of Trever Talbert's NOSFERATU pipe from 2000
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/gallery/2000.shtml

I was fortunate to wind up owning Talbert's 1997 pipe "The Winner" (located in gallery marked 1997 ) which won the first ever Pipes & Tobacco Magazine pipe making contest... alas, after a few years and much begging, I ended up selling it (tho now I so which I hadn't) to a mutual friend of ours who really really REALLY wanted it and we worked out a generous trade that kept both of us happy. Would be a great piece of pipe history to have in the collection tho. Now I have only one Talbert, a Talbert Billiard that he made in 2001ish (see gallery 2001 if interested, it's billiard #1 tan sandblast). He was really developing a name for himself then and a number of oldtimers on ASP were giving him a hard time about being a genius with creative pipes but 'could he do standard shapes?' So he took on the challenge with gusto and answered with a resounding YES by making a 1/2 dozen billiards, which proportionally speaking IS one of the hardest classical shapes to hand make and once he proved he could do it, he then returned to making the pipes he enjoyed making most :)

He's a true genius with briar (and the morta/Bog Briar he found when he and his lovely wife moved to France to give a go there) I was left with his entire Godzilla figurine and comic collection somehow.... alas he's back in the US, WITH his stock of morta briar tho lol

anyhow, tonight's pipe is some aged Stonehaven in an dot era Ser Jacopo Gem series octagonal bent using a wonderful tamper made by our very own Blade Boy (great tamper btw, Aaron!!)

$9-9 potd.jpg

PS - that briar it's leaning on was the largest piece I have but on the other side is a HUGE crack that makes the piece use-able only for small pipes or pen blanks etc.

Smoking my first bowl and definitely not my last of McClelland's Smyrna No. 1 thanks to Haiku44, smoking it in a small unmarked gourd Calabash...
proxy.php

wow that's gorgeous Aaron!!! I mean Gorgeous! with a capital G! It reminds me of Trever Talbert's NOSFERATU pipe from 2000
http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/gallery/2000.shtml

I was fortunate to wind up owning Talbert's 1997 pipe "The Winner" (located in gallery marked 1997 ) which won the first ever Pipes & Tobacco Magazine pipe making contest... alas, after a few years and much begging, I ended up selling it (tho now I so which I hadn't) to a mutual friend of ours who really really REALLY wanted it and we worked out a generous trade that kept both of us happy. Would be a great piece of pipe history to have in the collection tho. Now I have only one Talbert, a Talbert Billiard that he made in 2001ish (see gallery 2001 if interested, it's billiard #1 tan sandblast). He was really developing a name for himself then and a number of oldtimers on ASP were giving him a hard time about being a genius with creative pipes but 'could he do standard shapes?' So he took on the challenge with gusto and answered with a resounding YES by making a 1/2 dozen billiards, which proportionally speaking IS one of the hardest classical shapes to hand make and once he proved he could do it, he then returned to making the pipes he enjoyed making most :)

He's a true genius with briar (and the morta/Bog Briar he found when he and his lovely wife moved to France to give a go there) I was left with his entire Godzilla figurine and comic collection somehow.... alas he's back in the US, WITH his stock of morta briar tho lol

anyhow, tonight's pipe is some aged Stonehaven in an dot era Ser Jacopo Gem series octagonal bent using a wonderful tamper made by our very own Blade Boy (great tamper btw, Aaron!!)

View attachment 271391

PS - that briar it's leaning on was the largest piece I have but on the other side is a HUGE crack that makes the piece use-able only for small pipes or pen blanks etc.
That Nosferatu pipe IS awesome and thanks for the compliment on the tamper.

Frog morton in the beater cob while listening to an impromptu blue grass jam at local bar. I've only had frog morton on the bayou before but I can see why I've seen straight frog morton recommended for newbies. It was pretty glorious. I'll have to buy some more whenever I order again.

McClelland Black Sea Sokhoum, another great blend from their Grand Oriental series (big thanks to Haiku44), smoking it in a rustic Savinelli 320 KS...
proxy.php

Last edited:
Just loaded up some 4noggins Alamosa in the Pete System Standard #312. This tobacco is making a strong case for ending up on the "To be stocked up" list.

tonight's pipe was some Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster (an all time VA flake favorite of mine, this could easily be my all day smoke if I were to choose 1 tobacco - thankfully I don't have to!)

Smoked it in a hybrid Tinsky/Bonaquisti 3/4 bent blasted bulldog (mark and Paul made about a half dozen of these bad boys and it smoked like a dream) look carefully and you will see both their makers marks on the stem.

also in this pic is my first Im Corona Old Boy lighter (still going strong - though a bit scratched up from pocket wear - DON"T recommend the briar sleeve for that reason alone), now almost 20 years old, still going strong!!! also a Paul Tatum SHOGGOTH tamper and, well, an old shoe pipe stand.

$9-10 POTD.jpg

Do you think that was caused by smoking?

Certainly not. I am fortunate enough to never get cold sores, which my girlfriend is constantly plagued by, but I get a nasty canker sore roughly once every three months for no apparent reason. I don't smoke cigars or pipe while it heals, in hopes that it will heal more quickly.

A rare & privileged treat for my after dinner smoke tonight, GLP Raven's Wing (thanks to the kind generosity of a fellow pipe smoker), smoking it in my BC gourd Calabash...
$P1050844.jpg

Top Bottom