What's new

Pipe filters?

Just wondering if you gents use pipe filters or not? I have been smoking some cheap dr grabows and they come with a filter and have info on the box to order replacement ones. I usually use the filter till it is gunked then take out and never replace. Just looking for thoughts. I take it most pipes don't even use filters. Don't get the point in them anyhow.

I don't use them in any pipes. I even took out the filter in My MM cob. I think it's a YMMV thing. I find it a lot easier to run a pipe cleaner down the stem to clean it or clear it. With the filter in, I have to take it apart to clean it.

The only pipe I have that uses one is my Polinski Corona. It uses Vauen filters, and I actually don't mind it that much. That said, I've heard that Vauen makes the best filters, bar none, so that may have something to do with it.

It's a personal preference thing. Some guys like that filters draw up excess moisture and tar and keep little flecks of tobacco out of the stem. Others dislike that it cuts down on the draw. Those that use filters are just like how guys are with razor blades: some are one and done and others use them 3-4 times. Experiment and see what you like the most!

It's a personal preference thing. Some guys like that filters draw up excess moisture and tar and keep little flecks of tobacco out of the stem. Others dislike that it cuts down on the draw. Those that use filters are just like how guys are with razor blades: some are one and done and others use them 3-4 times. Experiment and see what you like the most!

I gotta admit that I like how my pipe doesn't gurgle with a filter. I swear... the second I put a pipe in my mouth I turn into the Niagara Falls or something.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You can smoke your pipe without the filter, if the draw is not restricted enough without a filter, i.e. "too open", you can put a folded section of a pipe cleaner in, but then you may as well use the filter. I smoke several of my "filter" pipes without a filter. Savinelli pipes use a triangular piece of balsa wood as a filter but also sell a converter that replaces the filter with a more restricted air hole. There are obviously more than one "work around" if you choose not to use a filter.

I do not use filters as a newb into the pipe smoking world. I tossed them in the trash for my MM cob and in my grandfather's Dr. Grabow. It helped me to not have the filter in the way while figuring out how to load the pipe. The extra draw inhibition caused by the filter was messing with my being able to figure out how the draw should "feel" when I packed my bowl.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There's a big difference between the 6mm paper Medico filters and the Savinelli balsa filters (both 6mm and 9mm) and the 9mm European charcoal filters like the Vauen Dr Perl. I have filter pipes and use the Savinellis and the Vauens. I tried the Medicos with my cob--thanks but no thanks. Those inhibit draw too much for me. They are effective at reducing gurgle though.

I've smoked my corn cobs and one of my Dr Grabow's without their filter with seemingly no adverse affects but they were 6mm. I can imagine that you may run into some air flow issues with pipes meant to take a 9mm filter.

Does anyone have any experience using an adapter like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141097039557

I know that Vauen makes a similar adapter that runs about $5 per piece.

I have a few Brigham pipes where I use the rock maple filters, they do cut down the moisture a bit if you are smoking an aromatic blend.

The Vauen filters are my favorite, I have a stanwell with a vauen and they work very well. But, they will mute the blend so they work better with an intensely flavoured tobacco.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a few Brigham pipes where I use the rock maple filters, they do cut down the moisture a bit if you are smoking an aromatic blend.

The Vauen filters are my favorite, I have a stanwell with a vauen and they work very well. But, they will mute the blend so they work better with an intensely flavoured tobacco.

Hey Joe, good to see you over hear slumming with the Brown Leafers.

For me if I have a gurgle I know I'm smoking too fast. Though when you are smoking solo you don't have anyone to yak at to slow you down :p As for filters I don't use them, none of my pipes need them and I haven't felt the urge to get one.

I don't mind smoking a pipe with a filter. It's having to track down and buy filters that I mind. When I buy Dr. Grabow pipes or MM cobs I'll use the filter that comes with it until it inhibits the draw and then I'll pitch it. When I started smoking I did buy a couple of boxes of replacement filters, but haven't bothered with them in a long while.

Top Bottom