What's new

PIF vs passaround ?

i will ship what I can to Canada, that is no problem. (I don't know what I can and can't send across the border so that is to be seen.) i cannot wait to try this stuff out!

When you PM for my address I will let you know what cannot be shipped. Of the current contents, only the AS because of the alcohol poses the problem. Aftershaves without alcohol pose no such restriction with USPS or Canadian Customes

When you PM for my address I will let you know what cannot be shipped. Of the current contents, only the AS because of the alcohol poses the problem. Aftershaves without alcohol pose no such restriction with USPS or Canadian Customes

And as I found out today for (CONUS) USPS, they arent as strict on AS as cologne. Got the impression Cologne in quantity like more than one bottle can only be sent as a regular parcel not in the Priority mailers do to being flown. But I did tell them my packages had about 3.5-4 OZ of AS and there was no issues.

Which still makes no sense to me since I assume 100's of gallons of AS and cologne fly around the world daily in peoples luggage but rules is rules I guess.

Christian_V
Hinano_Paul
dfoulk
cottontop
chgruver
Aristeros
hammerdownny
Grit
one2mny
Milkmanv1
ClintO
jvm61
AJP69

The PIF box has arrived!

For tonight's shave I will be using the 2013 Muhle R41, TOBS Mr. Taylor shaving cream, and a Polsilver Super Irridium blade. I have never used any of these products before so this is all a first. I am excited to try out what is known as one of the most aggressive razors. How will it turn out? Will my face turn into quivering bloody sushi or will it be an amazingly close, enlightening shave?

Stay tuned folks, I will post the results later!

Some initial impressions: As I have been sitting at my desk at work smelling all of the different soaps and creams I have found that I am drawn to the sweet and spicy TOBS creams, specifically the Mr. Taylor. I can't stop smelling the tiny sample bottle. People probably think I'm huffing paint to get high or something.

Right off the bat I noticed that I do not like the DR Harris scents. Or any "peppery" scents for that matter. I sniffed the black pepper soap which Teppanyaki enclosed and physically winced in revulsion.

The Kiss my Face smells way too much like Menthol - like at an extreme level. Like using Icy Hot or Ben Gay on my face as shaving cream. Not a fan.

I am also pretty excited to try out the Toro Mastiff head. Looks like it might be a beast. Very handsome razor head though, the matador engraving is cool.

More to come.

Last edited:
quivering bloody sushi

Nice Arnold movie quote!

The Toro Mastiff head. More bloodletting than Sweeney Todd after a triple espresso. More suffering than a year of being stuck on the "It's a Small World After All" ride in Disneyworld. More skin removal than a cheese grater on a disc sander. The prince of darkness himself shaves with something milder. Like a chainsaw.

Nice Arnold movie quote!

The Toro Mastiff head. More bloodletting than Sweeney Todd after a triple espresso. More suffering than a year of being stuck on the "It's a Small World After All" ride in Disneyworld. More skin removal than a cheese grater on a disc sander. The prince of darkness himself shaves with something milder. Like a chainsaw.

Thanks for the encouragement Tep :thumbup1: Being next on the list you have truly scared the heck out of me on this guy. So I assume I will use it the last day so I can enjoy the others!

Hinano Paul hopefully the Toro makes it all the way through. I'll be trying it out next after the Muhle most likely. It will be a fun challenge for us all to try. Fear the Toro!

OK, I should warn everyone - I never let facts get in the way of a good story. :001_tt2:

The Toro Mastiff was substantially too aggressive for me - I don't care for razors where the blade goes much past the cap/guard tangent. I did find it more scrape and nick prone than the R41. The 2013 R41 seemed aggressive, but reasonably so.

Had I not found the New open combs, I might still be with the R41. I do prefer more forgiving razors where I don't have to be as "careful."

I didn't care for the TOBS scents. I did keep their lemon lime, and do like grapefruit. I generally prefer citrus and tropical scents rather than "old time" stuff or woody blends.

As it is, I'm really liking my News and my SE Gem 1912. Still need to try my Aristocrat OC (just came in mail!) and some milder 1912 variations like the Junior and Damaskeene. My personal preference is to find a razor that gives me as good a shave as anything I've tried and then find the most forgiving variants. My Goodwill is quite forgiving, but as it isn't as close as the News for my usual 2 pass shave it's more of a "back burner" or headshaver for me.

Last edited:
OK, picture and legal disclaimer time!

First, all items are as is and you use them at your own risk. I hereby absolve myself of all responsibility (and you agree to accept all responsibility) for use of any items of the PIF/passaround, especially if you use them in unwise and/or unsafe manner. This includes trying to shave other people, small furry animals, or using the Toro Mastiff on pretty much anything besides reinforced concrete. Enough said. I did blast all razors with Scrubbing Bubbles with the "kills 99.9% of bacteria) stuff, but you need to clean the razors yourselves to whatever degree you see fit. My understanding is that bleach damages stuff.

Pictures!

View attachment 368777View attachment 368778View attachment 368779View attachment 368780

Razors, from left to right - Merkur 1904 open comb. Supposedly mild and smooth shaver for others. I found that it simultaneously didn't shave my stubble while still irritating the heck out of my skin at the same time. A marvel of German engineering in its seemingly impossible combination of aforementioned capabilities..

Matador Toro Mastiff closed comb head on a vintage New ball-end handle (think it has a small crack). The devil's razor. Evillllllll. The blade sticks out well past the cap/safety bar tangent, use at your own risk. Bwahahahaaaaaa. (by the way, I kept the handle)

Merkur Slant 39c barberpole. A really nice razor, glides through stubble better than probably any other razor I've ever used. Is tricky to use sideways under the nose without nicking yourself, and I grew to prefer angling the razor on my own ("Gillette Slide"). I just liked my R41 and, later, my News, better. Read the posts on how to load the blade evenly before using.

Muhle R41, 2013 edition, regular handle. Of all of the razors I am sending out, I may miss this one the most. Very effective, just not as forgiving as my News. Beautiful razor. May your new owner love you at least as much as I have.

Muhle R89, Grande handle. My first razor. Really didn't care for the irritation - my face and it simply didn't agree. Many people love this. Go forth and make someone happy.

Pearl open comb (same as Cadet/Matador/et cetera) with very grippy handle. Not bad, just not a New. Handle is very grippy, but the edging just doesn't feel "comfortable" to me. In its case.

OK, this has been said before, but not enough times:

This is incredibly generous, Teppanyaki! Six good razors, lots of soaps, blades, AS, etc. People like you make this place great (I'm proud to count you as a fellow GNU). I hope this project generates lots of interesting discussion and camaraderie. I look forward to reading about everyone's comments and the stuff they add to the box.
Enjoy the adventure!

Passaround Box - Shave 1:

Prep: Hot Shower
Razor: 2013 Muhle R41
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street, Mr. Taylor
Post shave: Alum block
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud

I went into this shave with some caution, this is after all the infamous Muhle R41 - widely considered as one of the more aggressive razors out there. I decided to take this one back to the basics and handled it like my very first shave. Excellent prep. Built up a good lather. Slow and steady beard reduction with absolutely zero pressure. The result? I had one of the closest, cleanest shaves yet! When I first set the razor down upon my face I felt some firm tugging and it made me a little concerned. However, once I was able to get the angle right, the blades cut through my dense, wiry hair with ease. I had a couple of tiny weepers which stopped bleeding as soon as they touched the alum. I went for two passes the first WTG the second XTG. I am feeling my face right now and this is the closest to a tru BBS I have attained in my 1.5 months experience wet shaving.

The shaving cream smelled delightful and lathered up well. I really like the clean, slightly flowery, slightly spicy smell of the Mr. Taylor. Not as spicy as Spanish Leather, all I can describe it as is just clean. Once the cream lathered it lost some of it's olfactory potency, it was a pleasing, subtle, masculine scent.

The blades handled themselves very well. Sharp and smooth. In hindsight I should have used one of my daily shaver blades (Astra SP) so I could truly assess the difference between the Muhle and my other razors.

I was extremely impressed with the Muhle R41. It is beautiful to look at, a pleasure to hold, and delivers a top shelf shave. I'd have to say it was one of the best shaves I have had to date. My only quibble is the handle. It is pretty slippery with wet hands, very reminiscent of the Edwin Jagger DE89L stock handle. The knurling is very feint - only the slightest whisper of grip-page.

A great way to kick off shave one of the Teppanyaki Passaround PIF.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Yeah, the whole DE handle thing (vintage or modern) really makes me think that there aren't that many decently grippy handles that also look good. I personally like Tech fat handles and, if I can figure out where to get the standoff, the GEM SE razor ornate handle which would need a M5x0.8 1/2" standoff epoxied onto the end to serve as a DE handle. Or simply pay the money and get a UFO (Kaiser?).

The Toro Mastiff handle (Sabi T2) is also very grippy and looks decent (which is why I kept it!), but I don't like the look as much as the Tech fat handles. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Yeah, the whole DE handle thing (vintage or modern) really makes me think that there aren't that many decently grippy handles that also look good. I personally like Tech fat handles and, if I can figure out where to get the standoff, the GEM SE razor ornate handle which would need a M5x0.8 1/2" standoff epoxied onto the end to serve as a DE handle. Or simply pay the money and get a UFO (Kaiser?).

The Toro Mastiff handle (Sabi T2) is also very grippy and looks decent (which is why I kept it!), but I don't like the look as much as the Tech fat handles. My 2 cents.

Tepp, I looked up the Toro Mastiff and I agree the handle looks really good. And at only 22 bucks, head and handle, the entire shoot and match looks like a darn good deal. I will discover very soon what it feels like to shave with it!

I think next shave with the Muhle I will throw on my Bulldog II. The added control will make the shave only more superior.

Next shave, Merkur Slant! Stay tuned

Last edited:
Passaround Box - Shave 2:

Prep: Hot Towel Treatment
Razor: Merkur 39C HD Barber Pole (Slant)
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium (2)
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street, Jermyn St
Post shave: Alum block
Aftershave: Ice Blue Aqua Velva

The Merkur Slant delivered a mild, but quality shave. It cut through the stubble so nicely I got overconfident and tried for a third ATG pass and destroyed my neck in the process(when will I ever learn? BBS shave is an impossibility on my neck I've determined). Overall, it was an enjoyable razor, but I definitely enjoyed the Muhle from last night considerably more. Quite a different experience loading the blade from your typical 3-piece or flare tip. I don't see myself ever owning one of these as the head just seemed too clunky and more difficult to maneuver under my nose for an Across the Grain pass - I didn't even try a ATG under the nose. There are other razors which give the same mild but smooth shave which I prefer - such as my EJ DE89. A couple more positives, the long "barber pole" handle is nice and the weight of the razor overall is great. This is a heavy piece of metal.

Perhaps someone in the Passaround down the line will enjoy it more. Begone Merkur Slant!

I opted for another TOBS cream tonight. The Jermyn St produced a crisp, clean scent, as well as a rich, decadent lather. I have reached the conclusion that I am a fan of TOBS cream. Another cream which I will be looking to purchase down the road to hold a coveted spot in my shave den.

My Slant experience was similar regarding the ease of cutting through stubble; I never tried ATG but then I have only tried ATG with 1 razor on one day and had so much neck tugging that I may never try it again (my beard looks like I need a shave at 5 PM, so I save my "3rd pass" as a touchup for evenings). It just nicked going XTG under the nose for me as I used to play fast and loose with the angle and I liked to make the "angle" myself rather than having the razor do it for me. The blade rigidity does seem nice. And, yeah, I liked the R41 more, too!

By the way, to load the blades - my understanding is it has to align with the cap rather than the baseplate - insert blade and get the whole connected, then with a towel pull cap-wards with the lateral blade tabs as you continue to tighten. Hearing the blade "crack" as it flexes is weird.

Glad you're having fun!

Top Bottom