What's new

PIF Closed-BBQ cookbook PIF Closed

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Are you referring to that last 10-20 degrees that takes forever to get past?

Yes, Aaron says he smokes the brisket exposed long enough to pick up smoke and lose the right amount of moisture, then he wraps it in butcher paper to preserve what is left and let the collagen continue to render. Maintaining a good moisture level but allowing the temperature to rise is where experience comes in....which I don't have.

The stall can drive people mad. It scared me the first few times. Now I look forward to it, as I know what's coming.

Do you smoke naked throughout? Or, do you wrap along the way?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I see. I still have never brought myself to wrapping any meat while I'm smoking it. I guess I just need some more experience as well. I think more experience when it come to BBQing good food is good for everyone.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I heard that Aaron Franklin sells his BBQ sauce in our local stores. It would seem appropriate to get it if I can find it.

....still on the move.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, here are Franklin Barbecues' sauces. Along with the cookbook you get to pick from one of these. Choose, but choose wisely.

Espresso, Vinegar and Texas Style
$IMG_1100.jpg

Descriptions of each.
$IMG_1102.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
These look to be more on the thinner side sauces. The vinegar one being the thinnest. I sort a like that, especially for glazing, etc.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
WOW another growing PIF Aaron.

It's all fun.

I did not go to the grocery store over the weekend so I took lunch time and went. Sure enough they had Franklin BBQ sauces. It looked like his were the ones people were buying.

Let's see if the sauce catches a few more "I'm In's."

Last edited:
These look to be more on the thinner side sauces. The vinegar one being the thinnest. I sort a like that, especially for glazing, etc.

I like a thin, vinegar-based sauce. I see that around here a lot more than I see the thick, overly sweet ketchup-based sauces. Angelo's in Fort Worth is a good example.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
"I'm In" members list.

Check to make sure you are on the list. Let me know if I missed you.

1. Claudel Xerxes
2. tlentz
3.Cosmos Mariner
4. BK124tt
5. Vlad
6. brucered
7. Purplemonkey
8. dfoulk
9. DRCIII
10. Gig103
11. Osborn Cox
12. Jason8736
13. DesertJake
14. Jzuzphreek
15. MrSpeedy
16. Cphobes
17. Shimsham
18. SO23
19. Tukyou
20. Rockero
21. Blue_2
22. AbbyW2
23. davent
24. TheDude82

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm closing the PIF early. I've decided on three winners. The Grand prize is of course the Cookbook and 1st pick of BBQ sauce. 2nd place gets a choice of of the two sauces left and 3rd prize gets the last BBQ sauce. Winners please send me a PM with your mailing addresses. Thank you all for playing. It was a lot of fun.

All I'm In names.
$IMG_1103.jpg

Into the cowboy hat and drawn by the wife.
$IMG_1104.jpg

3rd place winner is:
$IMG_1107.jpg

2nd Place winner is:
$IMG_1106.jpg

The Grand Prize winner is:
$IMG_1105.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom