What's new

PICS/VIDEOS ADDED Prayers for (members & country) Japan

There you go! What a wonderful offer Rob! And Nid too! :thumbup1:

yep. I appreciate both of them asking. Rob was kind enough to offer to call my mom and to check her house. my mom's place isn't that far from the base, but I had concerns about the tsunami reaching her house since she's pretty close to the ocean. I also know someone else that's trying to make contact with her as well, so fingers crossed. from what Rob tells me, most of the devastation from the tsunami hit the city to the south and spared the area where he and my mom live. but we'll have to wait and see.

yep. I appreciate both of them asking. Rob was kind enough to offer to call my mom and to check her house. my mom's place isn't that far from the base, but I had concerns about the tsunami reaching her house since she's pretty close to the ocean. I also know someone else that's trying to make contact with her as well, so fingers crossed. from what Rob tells me, most of the devastation from the tsunami hit the city to the south and spared the area where he and my mom live. but we'll have to wait and see.

We're keeping you in our prayers. Hopefully you'll hear something soon.

I ask you all consider forgoing a bit of spending on hobbies such as shaving to make a donation to the relief effort. There are many avenues, but my wife and I chose the Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army has been at work in Japan since 1895, operating more than 80 centers there, including two hospitals and four children’s homes. We have nearly 200 officers, 3,000 members and nearly 1,000 employees already at work in the country. We are a part of Japan’s communities and dedicated to their recovery.

You can donate online at this web site.

Thanks for your consideration, and lets keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

--
Moe

Rob, Dave and Craig -

Glad to hear you guys are safe.

I can't believe the images I've seen on television.

Same here on both points.

Gaseousclay, I hope you get in touch with your mom soon. You should at least feel a lot better hearing from Rob that things are ok in that area.

Hey brother, her phone has been busy every time I've tried to call. I'll keep trying. If I can't get through, I'll get an interpreter to help me with directions to her house in the next day or so.

Hey brother, her phone has been busy every time I've tried to call. I'll keep trying. If I can't get through, I'll get an interpreter to help me with directions to her house in the next day or so.

Remarkably generous...good on ya. :thumbup: So many good people here, I love it.

I'm betting its just phone trouble. Tried to call someone else from the same general area of town today and got the constant busy from that number as well.

Hang in there, I'll keep trying!

I don't have anything really to add that hasn't already been said. Just watched some videos and aerial photography of the wrecked areas this morning and it is hard to fathom the scale of the devastation and how many poor souls were washed away. :sad:

We are having another tremor right now. We are well into the 200's, possibly 300's by now.

My guess is this was a little one maybe just a 4.0 or so.

I was relieved to hear you finally made contact!!!! :clap::clap:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Heart reaches out to Japan
proxy.php
and it is my opinion that now it is the time for the Emperor (and Mikado), of Japan, His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Akihito to say some calming words of support for His subjects and people in their most trying hour of need, prayer and to provide continuity and reassurance to the Japanese people and tourist alike regardless of official protocol. :blushing:

Christopher 我々の祈とうはあなたと一緒です
To All Concerned:
Yesterday, His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Akihito has also reached out to His people (and tourists, expats, ect...), in their most trying hour of need.

"Japan's beloved emperor dramatically [and rarely] took to the national TV airwaves Wednesday and buoyed the spirits of his disaster-stricken citizens, an extraordinary address before a nation grappling with the aftermath of an epic earthquake and a devastating tsunami and growing fears of a nuclear catastrophe.

"I am deeply hurt by the grievous situation in the affected areas. The number of deceased and missing increases by the day we cannot know how many victims there will be. My hope is that as many people possible are found safe."

"I truly hope the victims of the disaster never give up hope, take care of themselves, and live strong for tomorrow," said the dignified and understated Emperor Akihito, a calm and poignant oration delivered from the Imperial Palace.

"Also, I want all citizens of Japan to remember everyone who has been affected by the devastation, not only today but for a long time afterwards -- and help with the recovery."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/16/japan.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

Thank You, Your Imperial Majesty!!!

Christopher 我々の祈とうはあなたと一緒です

Attached Image - The Imperial Flag of the Japanese Emperor of Japan

Last edited:
I was relieved to hear you finally made contact!!!! :clap::clap:

yep, same here. it was difficult talking to my mom because she sounded so sad, mainly because of the loss of life and the many people who were displaced because of the quake/tsunami.

anyway, just wanted you to know I didn't forget our conversation. I plan on doing a PIF in the next week or so. I've been bogged down at work and dealing with a lot of bs with my car, plus the wife and I are going out of town this weekend, but rest assured I shall have something in the works soon.

by the way, did you see that tsunami footage floating around on youtube? I came across this video on boingboing.net and it's camcorder footage of some guy in Oirase filming a tsunami at the pier. didn't realize Oirase is just south of Misawa. it's truly horrifying to watch

yep, same here. it was difficult talking to my mom because she sounded so sad, mainly because of the loss of life and the many people who were displaced because of the quake/tsunami.

anyway, just wanted you to know I didn't forget our conversation. I plan on doing a PIF in the next week or so. I've been bogged down at work and dealing with a lot of bs with my car, plus the wife and I are going out of town this weekend, but rest assured I shall have something in the works soon.

by the way, did you see that tsunami footage floating around on youtube? I came across this video on boingboing.net and it's camcorder footage of some guy in Oirase filming a tsunami at the pier. didn't realize Oirase is just south of Misawa. it's truly horrifying to watch

I actually live in Oirase. Oirase used to be Shimoda and Momoishi towns. They combined to form Oirase. Oirase is the first town Southeast of Misawa.

:thumbup1: on your PIF effort. No need to hurry. Glad you have now talked to her as well.

I went through and found some videos of places I've been or places near where I live.

This first video is during the quake. It shows buildings in the city swaying:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieWDQp9Krac&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Truly a testament to Japanese engineering.

This next video is at the epicenter in Sendai (about 230 miles South of me). The scary stuff is at 4 minutes when you see the nuclear plant engulfed in flames:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GBNanmdnc[/YOUTUBE]

The next video is the closest major city from Misawa. Hachinohe is about 20 minutes South. The damage in Hachinohe was severe along the coast, but not nearly as bad inland as it was all the way down at Sendai:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchEWTxXqOs[/YOUTUBE]

This next video is from our AFN (American Forces Network) station on Misawa, during the actual quake (They didn't start recording until the quake was winding down, doesn't really do it justice):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIgqAbZJJc&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

As you can imagine the base was on point with disaster recovery. We have missions going out daily to help the people of Japan recover:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3BRUEBqH8[/YOUTUBE]

This video is a story about American teachers who evacuated from Sendai down South to Misawa Air Base. They "commandeered" a bus and drove the 4 hours North to the base. By the time they got to us that night we already has cots/bed down in place for hundreds. The initial wave was only 57 students and teachers:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP6p4DMgJ8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This last video is of our Navy brethren kicking butt:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YDE_zaITk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

It was really emotional putting this together. I've been to all of the places and I know so many of the military people seen in these videos. This truly is a trying time.

Attached is a picture of me helping dig out a small shop in Hachinohe, yesterday. When we got there they had about 3 feet of mud in the first floor.

Some pics for those who may not frequent TAT:

The First Pic:

This boat is about 200 yards from the ocean. The only thing that kept it from going another 50 yards (across the street) and crashing through businesses was its anchor. Can you believe that? The anchor got caught up in the concrete pier and prevented it from going any further.

attachment.php

The second pic:

Front side of the same boat

attachment.php

The third pic:

Another shot of that same boat from across the street. The passing van gives you a good idea just how big the fishing boat is. FWIW only about 2/3 of the boat is in the actual frame.

attachment.php

The fourth pic:

The business directly across the street from the boat. The lower level was filled with about 3-4 feet of mud. This is the place that I helped dig out.

attachment.php

The fifth pic:

Another boat that was washed ashore. Far less damaged. That's my Ducati in the foreground! We started out on a ride just to survey/take pictures and ended up helping locals dig out.

attachment.php

The sixth and seventh pic:

This is a house in Momoishi town approximately 200 miles North of the earthquakes epicenter. This house is only a few hundred yards from the fishing port. The water is about 20-30 feet below that retaining wall. If it weren't for the fishing port and the retaining wall I'm certain this entire house would be gone. Amazingly the family is still living in the second floor while they struggle to rebuild. No heat, no water, no toilets, and no electricity.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Another freakin' quake! Ugh, I'm so sick of the ground shaking. The US reported it as a 7.4 (some sources 7.1) but it turns out it was actually three quakes in chain reaction. This one was even closer to me but luckily it was further out to sea and deeper under the ocean. It shook the crap out of us and we lost power. Luckily power is back up now and we didn't sustain any damage.

Another freakin' quake! Ugh, I'm so sick of the ground shaking. The US reported it as a 7.4 (some sources 7.1) but it turns out it was actually three quakes in chain reaction. This one was even closer to me but luckily it was further out to sea and deeper under the ocean. It shook the crap out of us and we lost power. Luckily power is back up now and we didn't sustain any damage.

It's good to hear that you're still alright, Rob. Hang in there!

Top Bottom