What's new

Personal Experience with Burma Shave Cream?

I was driving somewhere today where there was a Burma Shave ad sequence on the side of the road, and it got me wondering: is there anyone here that has actually used Burma Shave cream? What was it like? I'm wondering why it isn't around anymore.

I imagine this has been discussed here but I had trouble searching for it; a lot of hits come up when I search for Burma Shave.

Ah, indeed, Sir abies, you're venturing down yet another fascinating vintage shaving rabbit hole!
Much like many of the popular early-advertised consumer brands, Burma Shave no-lather creams enjoyed several decades of popularity! In much measure, due to creative ads and hype!
The same tools helped sculpt its demise to competitors in the 50's and 60's.
There was a brief attempt to resurrect with some gift boxes (with hard soap pucks), but to no avail.

(PS...where were you driving??)

burma shave.jpg

Ah, indeed, Sir abies, you're venturing down yet another fascinating vintage shaving rabbit hole!
Much like many of the popular early-advertised consumer brands, Burma Shave no-lather creams enjoyed several decades of popularity! In much measure, due to creative ads and hype!
The same tools helped sculpt its demise to competitors in the 50's and 60's.
There was a brief attempt to resurrect with some gift boxes (with hard soap pucks), but to no avail.

(PS...where were you driving??)

View attachment 1759482

A road in Minnesota. There is a curve and there are signs set up along the curve, on a wood fence. I wish I remember what they said. I'll have to try and remember next time I drive by. Very much an ad for shaving cream I think.

The signs seemed like either a well-maintained or restored antique, or a pretty faithful reproduction, based on what I've seen.

I didn't realize it was a latherless cream.

I get really interested in vintage soaps and creams like this for some reason. Burma Shave, carbolic soaps, original Ivory soap recipes, Vinolia soap...

Last edited:
When I was too young to shave the Roads of the USA full of Berma Shave sign, and advertising. If I recall I was so young I did not know Berma Shave was a soap, candy or?

Today the Berma Shave signs are collectable, and what was apparently a good product is replaced with other offerings.

I see the Burma Shave ads on the side of the road occasionally, usually on highways in very rural areas. I used it back when I used the stuff in a can. It wasn't no-lather to the best of my recollection. But about 3-4 years ago I bought an NOS Burma-Shave shaving brush and use it in my rotation.

Top Bottom