What's new

Pen video reccomendations

Like B&B is so good at doing, I have developed a fascination with fountain pens. I always enjoy carrying a nice pen, and I always always always have a pen on me (I'm a salesman). I've never put any thought towards using a fountain pen but I would like to get one to keep on my desk and practice with until I can write confidently with it and carry one.

I learned a lot about shaving from watching youtube videos. Are there some specific videos/channels I should check out?
Thanks

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This ink video is a kick, the guy is just laying down piles of the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

My god... It looks like your could reach down and grab a handful of the ink after he is done writing. Being left handed, I think thats what would actually happen if I had tried to mimic.

Of course, I'm just a tab bit jealous as my handwriting pales in comparison.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Have an interesting video to point out, but first.

My god... It looks like your could reach down and grab a handful of the ink ...
Of course, I'm just a tab bit jealous as my handwriting pales in comparison.

It does look almost embossed as he's laying down the ink. I wonder what kind of paper it is?
He does have quite a practiced hand.

So glad I don't have that accent
Maybe he's an agent of KAOS or THRUSH (or used to play on on T.V.).

Good Lord, that scratching sound is like fingernails on a blackboard!
Some people like a little - or a lot - of feedback in a nib.

Anyway, the video I saw this last weekend was a cooperative effort between Stephen BRE Brown and Matt Armstrong.

24 May 2015 - Pen Chat with SBREBrown and The Pen Habit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8UWbB8XBw

It was somewhat along the lines of a Brian Goulet Q&A, but I enjoyed their interaction and getting to know a little of their background. Stephen's was one of the first videos I saw on fountain pens when I got back into it last fall. I've seen several of Brian Goulet's and a few others, but hadn't wandered by The Pen Habit yet. Any of you familiar with Matt's work?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Stephen's was one of the first videos I saw on fountain pens when I got back into it last fall. I've seen several of Brian Goulet's and a few others, but hadn't wandered by The Pen Habit yet. Any of you familiar with Matt's work?

Both SBREBrown and Matt are personable, enthusiastic, and great videographers. That's good. On the other hand, they don't have a whole lot of experience ... neither are really into vintage, collecting, serious repairs, pen history (at least I think so) but they do great reviews of mostly modern pens and inks. Most of the guys at the pen shows or my pen club meetings have ten times the number of years with pens as those two have so I take what they say with a grain of salt. But the old-timers are not going to be making videos and getting the younger folks pumped up about writing. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this guy's channel has lots of interesting videos.

The lighting on that video is somewhat unusual (very low angle sidelighting) so it does emphasize the thickness of the ink lines, but it's still a huge amount of ink. So much so that it actually leaves a shadow on the paper. Talk about three-dimensional writing! :w00t:

Top Bottom