What's new

Pelican found

I found this Pelican in a store near me.
What is it ? Should I get it ?
It is used. So is 120 euro = 165.03 $ a fair price ?

$DSCN2081.jpg

$DSCN2080.jpg

So far I have only bought cheep fountain pen's like the Lamy safari.
I do like the green pelican on the top of the cap, and as we all know that is how one picks a pen.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's pretty high as it does show some wear (gold lost on clip) and it needs to be determined whether it is a vintage 400 or a more modern M400. (looks like M400 to me)

Feel free to PM me and freely discuss value and model identification. You've made a solid choice with that green Stresemann!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Looks like a vintage to me, the Pelikan in the finial is not gold, but green. I remember this from my old teacher, her special pen with the red ink......but this is over 40 years ago.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Plenty of M400 "old-style" pens with that green, Rudy -- not sure exactly when the paint changed but there are some out there, the pen was re-introduced in 1982.
W. Germany on the cap band is another indicator. We can always hope!

I was going by the color of the binde but I have been fooled before -- only a couple times. :001_unsur
Another way I can sometimes tell is that the gold-fill on the early clips (400 models) comes off with a deep break, this one looks like surface wear, typical modern Gebrauchsspuren​ -- plating wear.

I have two of these and did not pay close to that price. Bought them on eBay for about $40.00 each. They work great and are go to pens in my collection.

Nice pen, although it does seem a bit high. Check out the nib. How much are they asking for the stand. I'd buy that if the price was right.

I was in the store again today, and looked at the pen on the gold ring at the bottom of the cap it says
150 Jahre pelikan.
The nib is gold colored or gold and has a M on it.

and here is a link to the same pen on wiki looks like it might be from 2006

$798px-Pelikan-Kolbenfüller_u._Tintenglas_2006-07-26.jpg

Last edited:
no other markings other then M? if it is gold it should be marked (usually) 14K etc on the Pelikan logo.

btw if it is 150th anniversary (Jahre is Years in German), as I looked around google that will place it in 1988.

Did he sells it with the bottle as well? I just notice that the cap is peeking in the picture and looks like the one on the wiki with the pen rest.

Last edited:
I am sure that he would toss in the ink, You can still get that Ink Bottle in Germany if you look around.
I was reading on another forum that a Pelikan 400 was produced between 1950 to 1956 and sell for used for 40 to 65 Euro = 55.18- 89.66 $.

But then you know Its the net some people say they Fed Bigfoot Blueberry Bagels.

that is different Pelikan 400 .. they don't have the M designations. (not sure how they relate in size tho) .. there is 3 versions of the old 400 (that I know about anyway). 400, 400 N and 400 NN.
$400-n-nn.jpg

Top Bottom