What's new

PayPal now requiring us to give our bank logins to a third party

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Google has rolled out its mobile Tab grid view for power users, despite the clamoring of the unwashed masses.
I've stopped using Chrome on my mobile device because of it, but for every one of us that switches browsers, there are 5 new users that take our place who never knew it was done differently.
Too Big To Fail. They will do what they feel is best for their business model.
You can refuse to do business with them as a result, but don't expect them to change their business practices because of it.
Ultimately, you have to decide on your own whether the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah Paypal are awesome.

I deleted my account that time when they froze my payment for A&E Cuban Highball shaving soap, because it sounded suspicious. “Could be alcohol! Or tobacco products! Or maybe some other shady stuff from Cuba!!!”

They had to ”investigate” my transaction for like 5 days.

Never looked back, and I don’t miss em one bit.

I remember, and commented, as the same happened to me when I bought "the national flower of Cuba" from a grower in Alabama.

Ok, let's do something positive. What's better than PP? Venmo?

I fear Google Pay or Amazon Pay for the same reason - BigTech nosiness and control.

There has to be a No1 alternative to PP.

AA

I remember, and commented, as the same happened to me when I bought "the national flower of Cuba" from a grower in Alabama.

I fear Google Pay or Amazon Pay for the same reason - BigTech nosiness and control.

There has to be a No1 alternative to PP.

AA
I'll drop any service in a heartbeat. I was just really bummed because I was one of the proponents of the G&S rule on the BST and then a week or so after it was re-opened with the old rule reinstated, I bought something but couldn't send the funds and had to cancel. It was embarrassing and disappointing. Now I'm just out of the BST altogether unless a seller accepts alternate forms of payment, which of course is no one will since the rules were firmly set again... *sigh*... I just can't win lol

Just sold something today. Money received via PayPal. Transferred to my bank account within seconds.

Gotta love PayPal!
Why are you here gloating while we are expressing our frustration with this issue? It adds nothing to the conversation except contempt and division. Of course we all love it when PayPal works. Who doesn't like to get paid and send money with the click of a button. But gloating in our faces is not what I'd expect of a moderator.

I certainly feel that "tech" generally has burned any trust it might ever have had and that suspicion should probably be the default setting for consumers. I guess I just always assumed that online commerce was somewhat tangled and fraud-prone so perhaps make excuses to keep using what had been working simply.

My credit union seems to promote Zelle (at least it's integrated into my online banking with the credit union). Is Zelle more or less evil than PayPal? I've never used it but would be willing to try.

I had to use Venmo to buy snacks in the community break room at a library and it, at the time anyway, defaulted to public transactions, which seemed … wrong.

I certainly agree that "tech" generally has burned any trust it might ever have had and that suspicion should probably be the default setting for consumers. I guess I just always assumed that online commerce was somewhat tangled and fraud-prone so perhaps make excuses to keep using what had been working simply.

My credit union seems to promote Zelle (at least its integrated into my online banking with the credit union). Is Zelle more or less evil than PayPal? I've never used it but would be willing to try.

I had to use Venmo to buy snacks in the community break room at a library and it, at the time anyway, defaulted to public transactions, which seemed … wrong.
Zelle is nothing but terrific. They are integrated into almost all online banking platforms and charge zero fees. They don't require any login information or separate account creation and the transfers are instant. We pay all of our contractors with Zelle and we accept Zelle as payment for contract work as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why are you here gloating while we are expressing our frustration with this issue? It adds nothing to the conversation except contempt and division. Of course we all love it when PayPal works. Who doesn't like to get paid and send money with the click of a button. But gloating in our faces is not what I'd expect of a moderator.

Easy killer. :lol: I wasn’t aware we were starting a petition and contacting our Senators over this matter. The only contempt and division is on your end. Some folks happen to like PayPal and the service it provides. If I want to express my opinion of them I’m free to do so just as you are free to express yours.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I downloaded one of them ... "Cash" app? A nerd at work uses it.

Anyone?

AA

I‘ve used it before. They will send you a “debit” card too. My brother uses it almost exclusively and loves it. I just really didn’t want another payment app to use when PayPal works just fine for me and has been for YEARS. I also like Venmo, but I hate that they show all your friends transactions too. I had to adjust the privacy so they don’t show my transactions to everyone.

I hear good things about Venmo, but it’s not available outside the states. Anybody with experience using it?
Edit: Yikes about the public transactions part.

I signed up for "Cash" when it first came out to claim my username (fairly common so rarely available on apps). It looked (and looks) slick but honestly I've never used it a single time. I *do* however get a request for cash about once a month from someone (always different) that I don't know. Usually for $5 or something but I have to respect the spammers who go big. So even though I never send or get any Cash, I'm pretty good at Blocking by now.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yikes about the public transactions part

Yeah it’s annoying. It will say “Toothpick paid Beefdrippings“ and then the description you provided, like what it was for. Or if you request money - “toothpick charged beefdrippings”. Won’t show the price though. But still…i don’t want my friends seeing when I pay or get paid.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've used Zelle to pay a dog breeder we know, and it operates through your financial institutions web site. There's a limit on daily funds transfers of $2500, and you have to pick your bank rather than use it for multiple accounts.
It's easy to switch banks, but it is one more step.
It's an instant transfer of funds, so I don't think you have much fall back for safety. I mean, there's a record that you sent money to X account, but it's really no different than giving someone a check in your bank's lobby and them immediately cashing it.

Edit - I said Venmo when I meant Zelle

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't like that last sentence: "If you are not comfortable completing this, then I recommend choosing to pay another way." In other words, "we don't care about your concerns. Don't bother us anymore."

Or just maybe....... they were suggesting to use other options available through Paypal like using your credit card. I do and don't have any issues with Paypal as described in this thread.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah Paypal are awesome.

I deleted my account that time when they froze my payment for A&E Cuban Highball shaving soap, because it sounded suspicious. “Could be alcohol! Or tobacco products! Or maybe some other shady stuff from Cuba!!!”

They had to ”investigate” my transaction for like 5 days.

Never looked back, and I don’t miss em one bit.
I would suggest not trying A&E's newest soap ... ISIS Heroin.

Or just maybe....... they were suggesting to use other options available through Paypal like using your credit card. I do and don't have any issues with Paypal as described in this thread.
The issue is not limited to debit cards as some people have replied. If you read other people's experiences you'll find that this problem seems to pop up for no reason at all (meaning it doesn't take a trigger to pop up) and it affects people in different ways. For example, One customer doesn't even have a bank account linked to his PayPal account and thus cannot provide the login details they are asking for. He has some kind of relay and of course, if he tries to attach a bank account now, after all these years, he'll be asked to give up his bank login to Yodlee since that's their new policy. Also, another customer signed up over a decade ago and there was no electronic banking (through a website) at that time, and thus, he has never even had an online account to access his banking institution. He is dead in the water because he has no login information to provide. Others reported that they experienced the same problem even with a credit card attached. This is clearly an [intentional] oversight by PayPal to weed out those who will not comply with ridiculous, nay, DANGEROUS demands for bank login credentials. Also, as I pointed out on the BST thread, saying things like, "Doesn't affect me!" doesn't add anything to the conversation. The fact is that this is PayPal's new policy and it's only a matter of time before it DOES affect you. Not caring now won't protect you in the future. Anything can happen. Your bank account could be seized or you may need to switch banks... anything can happen. When it does happen, you will be asked, like us, to hand over your bank login and they will most certainly tell you that if you don't like it, you can go elsewhere (and they DEFINITELY do not mean within PayPal's ecosystem.)

Reactions: abj
Top Bottom