What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Blackbird
Mug: Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today was a day for surprises. Apparently I did everything right this morning. Even with numerous shaves already on this blade, everything worked flawlessly!

Today's result was a smooth, drama free shave - a solid BBS with no real effort.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1467.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week eight and shave number five on my third dig with the Vintage English London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Today’s shave was much the same as yesterday. I had no real redness, no blood and some sting when I applied my Alum Block. When I washed my face again in the shower after my shave I had a relatively smooth face compared to the start of the week. Things maybe looking up for a great finish to this Participation PIF.

Wilkinson Light Brigade Blade #2 Shave #10
Got an OK shave this A.M. with a lot of extra touchup so in the Bin It goes. :thumbup1:
Many Thanks to @Grundi & @AnimalCatcher for letting us shave with these nice blades.
I rate these blades:
#1 Wilkinson Light Brigade
#2 London Bridge UK Blade
#3 London Bridge China Blade
I can hardly wait for the next Blade Challenge.!
You are very welcome, sir. I'm glad you had a good time and I look forward to seeing your posts in the next blade challenge. 🍻

Blade: London Bridge (CH)
Razor: Fatboy on 6
Brush: Yaqi 24mm badger

The LBCH can almost hang with its UK brethren for the first few shaves, but dulls a lot faster.
This one is in decline. Still, I won't need to re-shave before going out tonight.

Today's result was a smooth, drama free shave - a solid DFS with no real effort.

Orange wrapper #3
1.65 Ti WR2
B&M Melange
This blade has been great for me in now its second trial. To nit pick a little, it may be a tad less sharp causing some scraping feel instead of smooth cutting. The results are very good with no irritation or red spots. Based on what I have read here, I’ll be interested in using the white wrapper again to see if my past blade was a flute or just doesn’t work for me in my razor. I’m not a razor swapper for the most part so it needs to work in this razor for me to keep blade going more than a MWF shave set.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1486.jpeg

Penultimate shave in this Participation PIF. Week eight and shave number six with my third and final dance with the Vintage London Bridge Super Stainless blade. This mornings shave was much the same as the last two shaves. No blood, a small amount of redness and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. The blade did feel somewhat draggy from the start morning. I was not sure if I was going to get through unscathed and I did to a degree. One shave to go and then we will see what the next blade battle will be.

Blade: London Bridge (UK)
Razor: SCS Model A
Brush: Semogue 830

Another fine shave from the LBUK, although the SCS is almost too mild for this blade. I'll try it with the Flexi the next time it comes around. Today's result was a smooth, drama free shave - a solid DFS with no real effort.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I ran the Light Brigade (5) with a 1985 Super Speed. This is one of the late model SS with the flat rectangular baseplates. It definitely shaved better than a Red Tip, or a standard Black Handle SS. It was quite a good shave. This blade is not showing any signs of deterioration of any kind. Still sharp and smooth. Awesome.

2024-05-04 16.03.27.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1505.jpeg

Grand final day today. Last shave in the Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges. My last shave with the Vintage London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Seventh shave of the week and seventh shave with Vintage London Super Stainless blade. Today’s shave felt tuggy from the start, I persisted through a three pass shave and finished okay. I shed no blood, I did have a couple of red marks and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. I know that many members here exclusively use vintage blades to shave with but I find them to inconsistent. You don’t always know how they have been stored and cared for. I would like to thank @Grundi for running this Participation PIF and @AnimalCatcher for supplying the blades. I do look forward to the next blade challenge even though this challenge for me was a little bit all over the place. Out of the three blades, I would have to nominate the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless as my best blade.

View attachment 1840972

Grand final day today. Last shave in the Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges. My last shave with the Vintage London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Seventh shave of the week and seventh shave with Vintage London Super Stainless blade. Today’s shave felt tuggy from the start, I persisted through a three pass shave and finished okay. I shed no blood, I did have a couple of red marks and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. I know that many members here exclusively use vintage blades to shave with but I find them to inconsistent. You don’t always know how they have been stored and cared for. I would like to thank @Grundi for running this Participation PIF and @AnimalCatcher for supplying the blades. I do look forward to the next blade challenge even though this challenge for me was a little bit all over the place. Out of the three blades, I would have to nominate the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless as my best blade.
You're very welcome! That's the main problem I find with vintage blades; it's a crapshoot as to whether or not the edge has been compromised by the elements. I've used vintage blades that cut like a hot knife through butter and others (the same brand and vintage) that seem a bit rough and cause some irritation. I wish I were able to ensure that all the blade edges were equal, but that's just not possible. When dealing with vintage blades, them's the breaks, I guess!

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You're very welcome! That's the main problem I find with vintage blades; it's a crapshoot as to whether or not the edge has been compromised by the elements. I've used vintage blades that cut like a hot knife through butter and others (the same brand and vintage) that seem a bit rough and cause some irritation. I wish I were able to ensure that all the blade edges were equal, but that's just not possible. When dealing with vintage blades, them's the breaks, I guess!
I also agree with this. Definitely an inconsistency with vintage blades. But for this challenge, the blades have been very good. All of them. And the big surprise to anyone that’s not used them before… is that the Chinese London Bridge is an excellent blade!

I don’t shave every day, so I have more testing to do.

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2, shave #1 and #2

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2 (1)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

The blade was sharp but less smooth than I remember. It was good and close, but not excellent.

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2 (2)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

A very enjoyable #2 shave with this blade. I enjoyed the second better than the first. Very smooth this time. Maybe shave #1 was needed to smooth out the blade. I hope to reproduce that one.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Parker Variant on 3.5
Brush: Unlabelled silvertip

I squeezed another near BBS out of the Light Brigade. The Variant seems to work well with this blade.

Today's result was a smooth, drama free shave - a solid DFS+ with no real effort.

Orange wrapper #4
1.65 Ti WR2
Zingari Brewer
Another pretty darn good shave today. Lather was a bit off, my fault, so just a slight downgrade in slickness. These are really good blades and even though the challenge seems to be slowing down, I’ll continue to use this one until I can’t anymore.

Blade: London Bridge (CH)
Razor: Fatboy on 6
Brush: Thater Badger

I hate to keep repeating myself, but the Shanghai LBCH is repeating itself.
Today's result was yet another smooth, drama free shave - a DFS with no real effort.
admittedly, it is taking more work to get there as the blade wears.

I ran the Light Brigade (5) with a 1985 Super Speed. This is one of the late model SS with the flat rectangular baseplates. It definitely shaved better than a Red Tip, or a standard Black Handle SS. It was quite a good shave. This blade is not showing any signs of deterioration of any kind. Still sharp and smooth. Awesome.

View attachment 1840899

I don't have a SS nearly that new. I am going to look for one...even just for comparison purposes.

One more shave with the Wilkinson today. Palmolive lather. Nice and easy shave, number 7 I think.

One thing I noticed though; the Wilkinson and the English London Bridge both generally left a shadow in my mustache area. Kind of a Fu Manchu style leftover. I don't get this with my regular use blades, but I am always changing things up.

I always have some sort of shadow, as I'm light skinned with dark hair and I have to shave myself to the point of irritation to not see a shadow. I don't try to push it anymore so I just use a regular shave pattern. It's funny how the Wilkinson and London Bridge that feel the sharpest and smoothest leave just *that* much behind.

Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2, shave #3

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade #2 (3)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Excellent, excellent shave today. This third shave with this blade sliced through the whiskers like a hot knife through butter. Very pleased with the shave today.

Top Bottom