What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

Tale of Two Bridges - English London Bridge - Blade #2 - Shave #4

TL;DR:
Stayed with the Gillette Slim, another amazing shave, DFS+

Equipment: Gillette Slim (4), English London Bridge (4), Hoffman's Blue Jean Nights Soap

The Shave: Stayed with what was working, was rewarded with a wonderful shave, with the results squarely DFS+. Hoffman's BJN laid down some great lather, the Gillette Slim and the English London Bridge blade are happy together.

Interesting Observation (that I've done nothing with): I'm experiencing the same thing others are - our initial pairing of razor and blade doesn't seem quite right and the shaves are nothing of note. On shave #3 (or on a subsequent shave), we switch to a different razor and the blade feels like a much nicer blade. I'm wondering if the 1st 2 shaves are needed to break in the blade and the 2nd razor is benefitting from this, or it could be classic YMMV; still, it's been a interestingly consistent dynamic.

Tale of Two Bridges - English London Bridge - Blade #2 - Shave #4

TL;DR:
Stayed with the Gillette Slim, another amazing shave, DFS+

Equipment: Gillette Slim (4), English London Bridge (4), Hoffman's Blue Jean Nights Soap

The Shave: Stayed with what was working, was rewarded with a wonderful shave, with the results squarely DFS+. Hoffman's BJN laid down some great lather, the Gillette Slim and the English London Bridge blade are happy together.

Interesting Observation (that I've done nothing with): I'm experiencing the same thing others are - our initial pairing of razor and blade doesn't seem quite right and the shaves are nothing of note. On shave #3 (or on a subsequent shave), we switch to a different razor and the blade feels like a much nicer blade. I'm wondering if the 1st 2 shaves are needed to break in the blade and the 2nd razor is benefitting from this, or it could be classic YMMV; still, it's been a interestingly consistent dynamic.

I did do two different LB shaves in different razors and the third was great. However, if I had one razor and went through two bad shaves I'd dump the blade and never get to the third good shave. I don't really care for a blade that requires a break-in period.

I did do two different LB shaves in different razors and the third was great. However, if I had one razor and went through two bad shaves I'd dump the blade and never get to the third good shave. I don't really care for a blade that requires a break-in period.
I agree.

Most of the mid-tier blades, for me, take the 1st shave to hit their stride, but there have been a few blades that wow out of the box. Unfortunately we can't get those Schick blades anymore. I guess I'm willing to take the 1st shave hit for the glorious 2nd shave. That said, I really wish that blades didn't need the break in to get going.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0676.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Second week and my second shave with the English London Bridge Super Stainless blade. I am not sure on this blade so far. I finished up with two very small weepers under my nose on my final pass this morning. My shave was just a shave. I do hope that this blade picks up in the next couple of shaves. At this point so far and I know it is early on for me in this challenge the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless is turning out to be a better blade for me than this English London Bridge Super Stainless blade.

Tale of Two Bridges - English London Bridge - Blade #2 - Shave #5

TL;DR:
Decent shave, 1 drama dot, needed a bit of extra buffing, blade is slowing down

Equipment: Gillette Slim (4), English London Bridge (5), Hoffman's Blue Jean Nights Soap

The Shave: Sticking with what works, I kept everything the same. The Hoffman's lather seemed like I hit the yogurty sweet spot, and the shave overall was smooth; however, I needed some extra buffing in the problem areas, and a red dot appeared. Good shave but the blade seems to be slowing down. I'll give it 1 more shave before binning it.

Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless #1, shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless (4) (orange label)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh)
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Today's shave was good. In fact, it started off quite good. Near the end, though, it did feel like the blade was falling off a bit, and I ended up with a weeper on my mustache area that was very uncharacteristic. However, that weeper went away with a cold water rinse after the shave.

So, in summary, the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless is...good, but certainly not in my top tier. And I don't think that I would buy a stash to put in my rotation. I'd rate the shaves as:

First - ok
Second - good
Third - very good
Fourth - back to good

I'll be going with the English London Bridge next time.

Last edited:
Wilkinson Light Brigade Blade #1 Shave #3
Tools: Wolfman Razor, PdP #63 soap, Plissoft Brush & Coachman Spice Aftershave.
Another very good two pass shave this A.M. :thumbup1:
The blade is showing no signs of slowing down.
Got some moderate burn from the Coachman Aftershave though.

I called that 'face stropping' and noticed it on many blades.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)

Razor: UK Aristocrat Jr.
Soap: PdP #63
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2019 Manchurian
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Captain's Choice Land Ho! PSB

Returning to a normal 2.5 pass shave today also returned me to a BBS- shave. While yesterday's save was more than socially acceptable, it wasn't the level I strive for. Today's razor/blade/brush/soap combo seems ideal for my face. No nicks, weepers, or post shave irritation. No drama of any sort. Just a marvelous feeling at the end.

Today's shave of the day with the Light Brigade:

IMG_5457.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Lavender Preshave
Soap/Cream
PAA Bay Rum
Brush
ShaveMac 2-band badger
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Ti Lite
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (3)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Fantastic combo.
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Chanel Alure
Overall Efficiency
End of Shave Irritation (lower is better)
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.8/BBS
Comments
As close to a perfect shave as it gets. No doubt having skipped a day made this shave a bit easier.

I found that the Light Brigade worked well, generally, but the first and third shaves were particularly good. I think the Light Brigade sharpened up a good bit after the first shave and was too much for the 2nd in the OC Blackbird. The third shave in the Blackbird Lite was especially good.

I don't remember there being that great a difference in the LB UK blade. I'd have to evaluate again to see for sure.

Last edited:
Good Luck!

I did find some Light Brigades on EBay recently....

$74.99 for a tuck of 5 blades. Sorry, but I'm not willing to pay $15/blade regardless of how good they are.
I'm a strange cat. I <don't> think I'd pay that much, but I might make a purchase somewhere south of that. I once went 5 straight years using the old blue labeled Gillette 7 OC Super Platinums the week of Christmas after they disappeared from the market, and I got down to my last tuck. I looked forward to that week of shaves every year. I've been babying a stick of Sir Irisch Moos for a lot longer than that by using it only on special occasions.

Still, $75 is a little rich for me :)

I found that the Light Brigade worked well, generally, but the first and third shaves were particularly good. I think the Light Brigade sharpened up a good bit after the first shave and was too much for the 2nd in the OC Blackbird. The third shave in the Blackbird Lite was especially good.

I don't remember there being that great a difference in the LB UK blade. I'd have to evaluate again to see for sure.

I guess I had a little brain fart with the abbreviation. I meant to reference the Chinese London Bridge.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0692.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week two of this Participation PIF for me. English London Bridge Super Stainless on its third shave. Today’s shave was better than the last two. This blade for me is not sharp or really smooth so far. Although I had no blood or redness after my shave my face did feel rather raw when I was showering after my shave. I am still favouring the Chinese London Bridge blade over the English London Bridge blade so far.

Wilkinson Sword New Chromium, blade #1, shave #1

Started with the Rocca, but was not a good match. Switched to this blade in the GC, and it delivered a great shave. Nothing to do with the blade, but I must conclude the Rocca is a bit too much for my skin.....

sotd 20-3

Razorock - Game Changer 0.84-P
Wilkinson Sword - New Chromium Edge (vintage UK)
Omega - 10019 boar
Stirling - Sheep
Speick - Men AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

full

Top Bottom