What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0642.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Seventh shave this morning on the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Another pretty good shave this morning, nothing outstanding to report. I did have a little sting when I used my Alum Block but nothing too bad. This blade lasted seven shaves for me after starting off a little rough as most blades seem to these days. I will be using the English London Bridge blade this coming week so hopefully all will be well with it. After one week’s use of the Chinese London Bridge I would at this stage gladly incorporate it into a razor blade rotation.

Razor: Merkur 38c aluminum blue
Blade: London Bridge UK blade #1 shave #1
Brush: Turn N Shave Ghost 👻
Soap: A&E Socal Hipster
Aftershave: PAA Aloha Smackdown

I think the blade might be sharper, but perhaps a little less smooth than the shanghai's first shave. Still a decent shave 7/10

Today's shave of the day:

The Light Brigade is still going strong, but I gave myself a Purple Heart.

IMG_5450.jpeg

Pre-Shave
PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Lavender Preshave
Soap/Cream
Mitchell's Woolfat
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Henson ++
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Henson was too mild. Over buffed and nicked myself. My fault. Try Blackbird Lite for next shave
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Chanel Alure
Overall Efficiency
End of Shave Irritation (lower is better)
Nicks
1 proper one
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
Comments
Lousy shave due to me getting sloppy while buffing. Heading to the MASH.

Last edited:
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Blade #1 Shave #2
Tools: Wolfman Razor, TFS Soap, Plissoft Brush & Coachman Spice Aftershave.
Got a smooth close two pass shave this A.M.:thumbup1:
The Light Brigade blade lives up to the Legend & is the best blade I have shaved with so far.

Head Shave #7

Blade: Light Brigade (1)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword TTO
Soap: Tabac tallow
Brush: Yaqi synth

For this shave I decided to pull out my very first DE razor that’s been sitting unused on my shelf for over 3 years. I bought it on a whim from the grocery store after getting mad at the price of cartridge refills. Then I discovered B&B and all hopes of saving money went directly out the window.

It gave me a fantastic head shave and the blade was perrrrrfect! Just the right combination of sharp and smooth. I picked up a bit of irritation on the back of my head but it went away within an hour.

10/10 shave. Next we’ll see how the English London Bridge compares in the same razor.

IMG_3561.jpeg

It's so easy to get so far behind on these PIFs! I'm a couple pages behind and I didn't really read most of them.

I switched the Chinese London Bridge to another razor, again. I don't usually do this but I didn't think the blade was bad but I wasn't getting great results.

This time I switched up to at 40s Super Speed. It had been 3-4 days since my last shave. I showered and lathered with Palmolive, finished with AV musk.

I don't know the difference between the 40s SS and the black handle I tried the blade in before, but the 40s was so much better. I had a nice and comfortable shave - not perfect, but I still feel that the blade & razor combo is very important. Maybe there are not many bad blades, just bad combinations.

Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless #1, shave #3

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless (3) (orange label)
Soap: Frankensoap (1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Better than shave #2. Satisfied by this blade, if not wowed.

Tale of Two Bridges - English London Bridge - Blade #2 - Shave #3

TL;DR:
Switched to the Gillette Slim, amazing shave, BBS-, hint of a weeper

Equipment: Gillette Slim (4), English London Bridge (1), Hoffman's Blue Jean Nights Soap

The Shave: Switching this blade over to the Slim made the feel like night and day. I agree with @TheBigL's observation about razor-to-blade pairing. This morning's shave was amazing, smooth and close, BBS-. Hoffman's BJN lather set the stage for the Slim/London Bridge pair to showcase a wonderful shave. I did have a red dot appear on the WTG pass, but it disappeared on the WTG pass. Hmmm, I'll take it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_0660.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale and Two Bridges.​

Week two for me this week. I have tried a week of shaves with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade and this week it is the turn of the English London Bridge Super Stainless blade. Average start to the week. No blood but I have a little sting when I used my Alum Block. When I was applying my Aftershave Balm I could still feel stubble and hopefully tomorrow it will improve. I am guessing that it may take a shave or two settle in, time will tell as it always does.

Orange Bridge shave #4:
Ti 1.65 WR2
B&M Melange
Usually my Monday shave is wonderful. Four days off gives the skin a bit of built up resistance to irritation and beard just comes off. Today’s was pretty rough on the WTG shave. Not really sure if it was just tuggy or truly rough already. Better on rest of shave but still sub par. No blood or irritation after or burn from AS but not an enjoyable shave. I’ll see what next shave brings.

IMG_5636.jpg

Chinese London Bridge Blade #1 Shave# ?

Somehow, I've lost track of the shaves I have on the orange label London Bridge. It's five or six. I think I'm pretty close to retiring it. This weekend, I 'cheated' and shaved with an inexpensive Chinese blade I got from one of those Asian web storefronts that I won't name, and that blade really kind of outdid the Chinese London Bridge. This orange wrapper blade just isn't vibing with me, even if it delivers functional and safe shaves.

Fourth shave on the Chinese LB. I stuck with the same 40s SS that I had a good shave with two days ago. Starting with a hot face wash with an Arko stick, I whipped up a nice Palmolive lather. One edge seems to have degraded so I try to pay attention which side is which. This shave just wasn't cutting it too close so I went for a fourth pass to cleanup. That was a mistake and I ended up irritated below the jawline. It wasn't too bad and cleared up soon but I might try the good edge for one more shave.

London Bridge (vintage English) shave 4 - Blade is still going, but my song theme is not

The vintage London Bridge gave a very nice 4th shave with the Athena. It is sharp enough and smooth. The shave was FAR more comfortable than the 4th shave with the Chinese version yesterday with the same equipment. That blade has been binned, but I am going to keep going with the vintage London Bridge, even though I normally bin blades after 4 shaves.

I'll run this blade out, then start a comparison of the English London Bridge and the Light Brigade.

London Bridge (vintage English) shaves 5 and 6 - London Bridge is Falling Down

I pushed the vintage English London Bridge further than I normally do, I usually bin after 4 shaves. I kept up the experiment in trying it in different razors. The fifth shave was in a Kopparkant +. It wasn't quite sharp enough, but the shave still went well. The sixth shave was in Le Maurice and I got a good result, but more warmth from alcohol than I normally do with that razor. I'm going to assume that 6 was pushing it a bit too far.

The vintage English London Bridge worked much, much better for me than the Chinese version. Not even close, the Chinese blade was not comfortable for any shave, so much so that I wonder if I had a bad blade. Next I'll start with a fresh London Bridge (UK) vs Light Brigade shave-off and I'll stick with Le Maurice to start.

Last edited:
Blade: Light Brigade (UK)

Razor: UK Aristocrat Jr.
Soap: PdP #63
Brush: Semogue 730HD
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Stirling Barbershop PSB

I had to get to an early appointment this morning, so I shortchanged the shave.
One full pass and one pass of buffing. The end result was another DFS+ today.

English London Bridge (edge 2 shave 1)

Muhle R89; Cella; DS Cosmetic 24mm synth.

This is the shave of the PIF right here. Cella's good, but it's not usually top tier. This blade and razor just clicked, I'm not looking to change things up for a while.

Top Bottom