What's new

Parker 99R

I have been using this same model for about a week. The first couple days it bit me, I attune that to lack of practice. since I haven't used a DE since my teenage years.
Other impressions, it's a beauty to behold. very shiny. Long hefty handle for use with BIG paws.
No pressure needed to shave, let the shaver do the work.
Only draw back so far, has been the Silo doors are not as precise closing as "Dad's Super Speed" that I remember. One door closes couple hairs higher than the other at one end.
But it still shaves nicely and holds the blade tight.
Worth the funds I spent on it!

Werewolf

This thread appears all but dead, but I'll give it a bump.

I just picked up a 99r on the BTS. It was a package deal with a slim, the razor I was really looking for. I'll give her a go and post my thoughts.

I have used the Parker 99R four times with different blades and so far it just hasn't worked for me. Perhaps it is the angle but I can't seem to get a decent shave with this razor. I do like the weight and feel of the 99R. The Parker 22R is my travel razor which always gives me a very nice and comfortable BBS.

I haven't tried the 99R but I do have a Parker 94R, 3 piece razor, and it gives me the best shaves. Aggressive but very smooth. My favorite razor.

$Parker 94R.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 99R as well and I find the shave to be somewhat aggressive. I do not have pictures but I will try my best to explain my thoughts. When fully closed, the blade's downward angle does not match the steeper slope of the butterfly doors. The blade appears to stick ever so slightly out. Subsequently - If you go by the feel of the solid bar + the top of the butterfly doors to find the right angle, you will get an aggressive shave because the blade will be protruding into your skin a bit more than other razors. I am also sure that the razor's substantial heft amplifies the aggressiveness.

When I shave with my 99R, I have to hold the handle slightly more parallel to my skin to minimize the blade exposure. You will develop muscle memory and each shave will get better. I can easily get a 2-pass BBS with this razor, but it does require constant attention.

Also the only modern razor among my vintage assortment. Decent mild shave from a very attractive razor. My main gripe is that is too heavy for my arthritis-laden hands and I cramp up early in the second pass.

Also the only modern razor among my vintage assortment. Decent mild shave from a very attractive razor. My main gripe is that is too heavy for my arthritis-laden hands and I cramp up early in the second pass.

I too have arthritis in my fingers. So far it has not effected my shaving.

I haven't tried the 99R but I do have a Parker 94R, 3 piece razor, and it gives me the best shaves. Aggressive but very smooth. My favorite razor.

View attachment 396047

I have the 65R (same head as your 94R) and I love the shaves it gives. I completely agree that it is aggressive but if you find the right angle, the shaves are smooth and effortless.

Top Bottom