What's new

Panasonic ARC5 ES-LV65

Couldn't really find any tutorials for disassembly of shavers from this century (almost, not quite, kidding) for Braun, Panasonic or Norelco, but some earlier techniques:

Braun Series 7

Panasonic

May not be applicable for today's modern shavers (although the old Braun S7 is still kicking), but obviously anything can be taken apart. The trick being, of course, reassembling in working order. And I don't believe the factory provides any mail-in refurb/battery replacement options, at least among the Big 3. But an interesting question/experiment nonetheless.

After watching both videos I’m NOT going to replace the battery in any of my shavers. Besides not being very handy, if I get five years of use out of a shaver it’s probably time to replace it. I got five years of use from my previous Panasonic ES8103s shaver and I replaced it when the battery wouldn’t maintain a charge for an entire week. After five years there may be new features that may improve the quality of the shave or it may just be time to buy a new shaver because it’s about when I get tired of the old shaver. 🤔

So, finally yesteday the lectric shave arrived. Yesterday i had to wet-shave with my flex5 hybrid since the aRC5 finally lost his charge (after 18 days..) and i didn't want to wait 10 minutes for a shave then recharging (i prefer a proper 100% recharge at least now that the battery is still new). Ths flex 5 shave was very close but with the usual redness i get from blades.

Today I waited to complete breakfast (my hair seems to get out more for reasons i still don't understand) then i applied the lectric shave, waited for 2 minutes than shaved with the ARC5. I can just say it's exceptional. Maybe the best shave i've ever had. Incredibly close, no irritiation - i splashed my alcoholic after shave and it didn't sting at all- Vote: 10/10 no discussion here. 💪💪💪

Glad to hear that you are very satisfied.

today the led indicator showing a tap just started to flash on the lcd. Thet means it's time to proceed with the sonic clean mode. It looks straightforward but i have some questions. In Rome we have a water full of limestone so i am wondering if it's better using distilled water or not. Because i fear using normal tap water could rusty the heads? Please help.

today the led indicator showing a tap just started to flash on the lcd. Thet means it's time to proceed with the sonic clean mode. It looks straightforward but i have some questions. In Rome we have a water full of limestone so i am wondering if it's better using distilled water or not. Because i fear using normal tap water could rusty the heads? Please help.

If memory serves me correctly, Panasonic uses the ‘tap’ indicator is to remind you to clean the shaver. You don’t have to clean it after each use. The ‘sonic’ mode operates the cutters at a higher speed than normal to aid in cleaning out the cutters while rinsing them under running water. The sonic mode is entered by holding the power switch for a few seconds and the ‘sonic’ indicator will illuminate while the shaver runs in the higher speed mode for about 10 seconds. If you are cleaning the shaver after each use, then the sonic mode won’t make much if any difference in the cleanliness of your shaver. You could use the sonic mode during each daily cleaning if you like which will cause the ‘tap’ indicator to never illuminate. Because you are rinsing after every shave there’s probably nothing to remove using the ‘sonic’ mode. My Panasonic ES8103 shaver’s original screens and cutters lasted for the entire five years that I used the shaver and only cleaned it weekly when the ‘tap’ indicator illuminated. I shaved almost every day with this shaver.

Panasonic manufactures the cutters and screens out of stainless steel which will not corrode regardless of the purity of the water. Because the cutters and screens are made of stainless steel they are more expensive than the replacement parts for the other screen shavers, however, they are nearly indestructible. Obviously, you can clean the shaver as often as you want either using the sonic mode or not and it won’t make any difference.

Your question is similar to the question of the need for cleaning stations. Your shaver is not a surgical instrument and is more like a scissor rather than a razor blade. As long as you are the only one using it, then how clean does it have to be as long as it’s your own hair clippings? My Panasonic shaver never had any problems cleaning it weekly and never developed any odor. I never use water to clean my Braun shaver because I don’t have to use oil on the screens. Braun’s owner’s manual specifically indicates that lubricant is only required if using or cleaning the shaver with water. Braun shavers need some lubricant on the screens weekly to prevent corrosion if you use or clean the shaver with water. Braun doesn’t make their screens and cutters out of stainless steel and corrosion is inevitable while the metal is drying after coming in contact with water.

Thanks. Maybe would like to clarify. Today after three weeks of use - and by cleaning it just blowing the hair away from 0.3 mt distance with a small air compressor for computers - the tap indicator showed at the end of the shaving. So i assumed i have to use the sonic cleaning. And since i haven't done it yet i asked for advice. On the owner manual the procedure is easy and straightforward but it didn't specify if i have tu use distilled water or not .On Ovidius site he says to dry the shaver thoroughly to avoid the possibility of rusting and / or limestone deposit. But he wasn't talking about panasonic, just generally speaking. That's why i was dubious. I don't want to ruin my shaver after just three weeks of use.

Panasonics are pretty durable (for that matter, so are Brauns and Norelcos). As Flyhoybob says, their cutters and screens are stainless steel, so no worries about corrosion (although the metal is stainLESS - not stainPROOF). Pannys also retain their sharpness very well, so you don't need to be particular about water for cleaning or shaving. I do recommend distilled or RO water for the cleaning station though, because it stays in there for a month or more and evaporation will leave mineral deposits otherwise. It's OK to just run the cutters and foil under warm water from the tap (the hardness of the water in Rome is similar to the hardness of the water in the American Midwest/Southwest) and just brush with soapy water, or use the cleaning mode; Panasonics are easier to manually clean than most other electrics. I do recommend a drop of mineral oil on the foils and cutters after cleaning and drying. Your shaver should be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe would like to clarify. Today after three weeks of use - and by cleaning it just blowing the hair away from 0.3 mt distance with a small air compressor for computers - the tap indicator showed at the end of the shaving. So i assumed i have to use the sonic cleaning. And since i haven't done it yet i asked for advice. On the owner manual the procedure is easy and straightforward but it didn't specify if i have tu use distilled water or not .On Ovidius site he says to dry the shaver thoroughly to avoid the possibility of rusting and / or limestone deposit. But he wasn't talking about panasonic, just generally speaking. That's why i was dubious. I don't want to ruin my shaver after just three weeks of use.
I don’t think you will have any issues regardless how much minerals are dissolved in the water. The procedure is very simple. As I recall, place a small amount of liquid hand soap on the wet screens and run the shaver in the ‘sonic’ mode which should suds up the hand soap. Then open up the shaver and rinse out all the soap from the cutters and from the opened head. I used to run the shaver a second time in the sonic mode with the cutters exposed to the air to dry them. Probably overkill.

I don't know what to do. maybe yesterday by blowing the compressed air i removed all the hairs and today the "tap" led iss not showing at all. Since i have the shaver since april 10 shoul i have to perform the sonic cleanin anyway or not? Please help.
PS the shaving was fantastic as always i still don't have regrowth now at 15.14 after 7 hours. Go figure.

Doesn't really matter if you perform a sonic cleaning after every shave - or no cleaning. It's built for it. I use the cleaning station daily when I use an Arc 5, just because I like a clean, lubricated shaver for each morning's shave, but you can certainly just clean weekly with plain soap and water, and probably a good idea for hygiene - the longevity of the shaver will be minimally affected.

I don't know what to do. maybe yesterday by blowing the compressed air i removed all the hairs and today the "tap" led iss not showing at all. Since i have the shaver since april 10 shoul i have to perform the sonic cleanin anyway or not? Please help.
PS the shaving was fantastic as always i still don't have regrowth now at 15.14 after 7 hours. Go figure.

If you read the owner’s manual it will tell you what resets the “tap” icon. I can’t remember. It really doesn’t matter. Scaramouche is 100% correct. When I was using my Panasonic shaver I only removed the head weekly to rinse it out. If I wanted I could have rinsed it daily which would also be just fine. Scaromouche let’s his cleaning station do the job daily which I think is overkill. A cleaning station IMHO is a waste of electricity, sink counter space and money.

The only reason that I clean out my Braun 7 series shaver daily is because I store it in the travel case. If I don’t tap and brush out the clippings daily, they come back through the screen and collect the inside of the case. Unfortunately, I have gray hair and the cuttings show up against the felt black lining of the case. I’m willing to spend an additional 30 seconds or less per day and use two squares of toilet paper to collect the clippings and flush them away. It’s a very small amount of time and very little effort to keep both the shaver, the case and the head clean.

I have been shaving with electric shavers since the early 1960s which was well before they were waterproof. The only way to clean them was to brush out the clippings onto toilet paper and flushing them away. I never developed any skin problems over all these years without sanitizing my shavers. Those shavers had no batteries and except for replacing the screens and cutters every couple of years the shavers lasted at least 10 years or more.

Last edited:
If you read the owner’s manual it will tell you what resets the “tap” icon. I can’t remember. It really doesn’t matter. Scaramouche is 100% correct. When I was using my Panasonic shaver I only removed the head weekly to rinse it out. If I wanted I could have rinsed it daily which would also be just fine. Scaromouche let’s his cleaning station do the job daily which I think is overkill. A cleaning station IMHO is a waste of electricity, sink counter space and money.

The only reason that I clean out my Braun 7 series shaver daily is because I store it in the travel case. If I don’t tap and brush out the clippings daily, they come back through the screen and collect the inside of the case. Unfortunately, I have gray hair and the cuttings show up against the felt black lining of the case. I’m willing to spend an additional 30 seconds or less per day and use two squares of toilet paper to collect the clippings and flush them away. It’s a very small amount of time and very little effort to keep both the shaver, the case and the head clean.

I have been shaving with electric shavers since the early 1960s which was well before they were waterproof. The only way to clean them was to brush out the clippings onto toilet paper and flushing them away. I never developed any skin problems over all these years without sanitizing my shavers. Those shavers had no batteries and except for replacing the screens and cutters every couple of years the shavers lasted at least 10 years or more.
Thanks. I am not worried about "sanitizing" it since i'm the only user and i'm a very "paleo" person from eating to training etc. I am just worried about *not* damaging the blades by not doing the correct steps cleaning. that's it.

i have read the manual start to finish early today and i haven't been able to find any mention on how to reset the tap icon. Maybe it's not possible?

You are correct. I looked the manual up online. I think that the “tap” icon will extinguish after running the “turbo” mode, if my memory is correct.

Unfortunately, the owner’s manuals are not always well written or complete. I’m a firm believer in reading the manual before using a product to get the best useage and enjoyment. If you can’t figure out what extinguishes the icon, then call Panasonic’s toll free customer service number.

Unfortunately, the owner’s manuals are not always well written or complete. I’m a firm believer in reading the manual before using a product to get the best useage and enjoyment. If you can’t figure out what extinguishes the icon, then call Panasonic’s toll free customer service number.
ok now i believe it's been a misunderstanding. three days ago after shaving and BEFORE removing the foil head the tap icon showed up. After removing the foil head and cleaning them and the inner blades with compressed air i put the foil back in place and noticed the tap led had turned off. So i just wanted to know if it's normal (it turned off because i cleaned the unit with air) or if it should turn off only AFTER a sonic cleaning. BTW i still didn't sonic clean it because i noticed after every compressed air shot the foil and the blades llok perfectly clean and brand new

ok now i believe it's been a misunderstanding. three days ago after shaving and BEFORE removing the foil head the tap icon showed up. After removing the foil head and cleaning them and the inner blades with compressed air i put the foil back in place and noticed the tap led had turned off. So i just wanted to know if it's normal (it turned off because i cleaned the unit with air) or if it should turn off only AFTER a sonic cleaning. BTW i still didn't sonic clean it because i noticed after every compressed air shot the foil and the blades llok perfectly clean and brand new

Basically, if you blow out the clippings then the cutters and screens will be as clean as new. The question that has no real answer is, how clean is clean? Those members who have cleaning stations think that their shaver has to be sanitized with an isopropyl alcohol product to remove your own germs from the shaver that live on every inch of your skin. If you want you can achieve the same thing by rinsing the head and the cutters with some rubbing alcohol that’s available in any pharmacy. However, my experience of over 50 years of shaving with electric shavers proves that any of those extra cleaning steps are not necessary. If it makes you happy to do those extra cleaning steps, then please knock yourself out and enjoy yourself.

Basically, if you blow out the clippings then the cutters and screens will be as clean as new. The question that has no real answer is, how clean is clean? Those members who have cleaning stations think that their shaver has to be sanitized with an isopropyl alcohol product to remove your own germs from the shaver that live on every inch of your skin. If you want you can achieve the same thing by rinsing the head and the cutters with some rubbing alcohol that’s available in any pharmacy. However, my experience of over 50 years of shaving with electric shavers proves that any of those extra cleaning steps are not necessary. If it makes you happy to do those extra cleaning steps, then please knock yourself out and enjoy yourself.
again..misunderstanding (i know my english is not as good as it used to be being italian)... i'm perfectly ok with the cleaning and i also think it doesn't have to be sanitized. I just wanted to know if it's normal for the tap led to turn off without the sonic cleaning or if the led should stay on if i clean it without the sonic (hope to have explained )

again..misunderstanding (i know my english is not as good as it used to be being italian)... i'm perfectly ok with the cleaning and i also think it doesn't have to be sanitized. I just wanted to know if it's normal for the tap led to turn off without the sonic cleaning or if the led should stay on if i clean it without the sonic (hope to have explained )

No problem, your English is better than my any other language. 🤪 Don’t worry so much and enjoy your new shaver.

Top Bottom