What's new

Painted Semogue Handles

Disclaimer: I love all my Semogue brushes.

I have a lovely painted Italian Flan Special Edition/1305 that is a favorite but now the paint is chipping off. I have tried touch up paint but now it looks like the flag is not in its glory!

Any ideas on stripping and refinishing or other rehab ideas on painted Semogue handles?

Never thought about that! I will check into it. That failing, I know others have removed the painted finish and refinished with stain and varnish.

I prefer to buy Semogue brushes without the painted handles, that way you won't have to worry about the paint chipping off after a while because the brush looks clean and it looks better.

I prefer to buy Semogue brushes without the painted handles, that way you won't have to worry about the paint chipping off after a while because the brush looks clean and it looks better.

Me too. It is my only painted handle brush.

Still debating if I leave as is or strip down to woof and varnish it.
[MENTION=50233]SteveWY[/MENTION] it's your brush and you can do what you like with it, or strip down to woof and varnish it as long as you don't kill the bloody knot otherwise you could end up killing you're brush towards the graveyard.

Leave it alone. No varnish, no repainting, nothing.
It wouldn't be a Semogue 1305 if it didn't chip, they are famous for that.

A vote for retaining the character and history! I have so may things going on and now into vintage brush restoration I may not get to the flag brush right away.

P.S. I grew up in suburban Philly and my grandparents lived in Wildwood. Drove through the Pine Barrens many times!

Leave them as is - gives them character.
My 1460 got a big chip when it hit the bathtub as it flew out of my hand as I was shaking it out. When my wife saw it she said it now had a "vintage" look, the thought of which appealed to me.

LOL! Have been debating what to do with my chipped (which is a gross understatement) 1305, but hadn't thought of it that way. Now that you've prompted me to, I may just follow your advice. Many thanks.

You would think that with all the reports about paint chipping,
Semogue would have fixed the problem by now.

It's not that complicated.
Just changing the paint formula at the production level would solve it once and for all.

Disclaimer: I love all my Semogue brushes.

+1 ... I have about 30 brushes in my collection,
but Semogue is represented far more than any other brand.

In fact, I can't think of any other company where I own more than one of their brushes.
With Semogue, I have 5, and still want more.

+1 ... I have about 30 brushes in my collection,
but Semogue is represented far more than any other brand.

In fact, I can't think of any other company where I own more than one of their brushes.
With Semogue, I have 5, and still want more.

I am even between Semogue and Omega, maybe a slight advantage to Omega. Semogue gets my vote for available variety and choices of knot quality. Omega gets the vote for best value and recommendation.

I love my 1305. I think it's about two years old now, and a little section of paint is just starting to pucker ever so slightly. I'm of the mind that when it goes I will refinish it. It's a perfect opportunity to personalize the brush with the colors you like.

My 1438 chipped when I dropped it shaking it out. The painted handles seem more slippery to me than the stained/oiled ones...

Top Bottom