What's new

Paddy's Day NOT Patty's Day

Here's the short, cleaner version of the story.
A friend worked in a pizza place what was open late at night.
It wasn't in the best area of the city and attracted a lot of drunks after the bars closed (last call is at 2am).
The guy was a short guy who told my bud that if anyone came in and wouldn't leave, he should "hit 'em with the mitt" at which point he produced a large oven mitt from under the counter. The end was full of ball bearings.
My buddy says that if you swung that thing hard enough, you'd kill someone.
After he was told about the mitt, the owner would be working some nights and would tell him that indeed, he did hit people who wouldn't go.
At times, when someone came in, the owner would look to the mitt as if he wanted to bean the guy just because.

I think that's an exaggeration, but the mitt is not.

The pizza place is long gone now. The mitt only lives in our memories.

I like the clean version, Marc. I can easily imagine how it could be "dirtied" up a bit, but I can't imagine that would add anything to the story. :thumbup1:

yep it is Paddy's Day - never heard of Patties Day until I lived in the US for 1.5yrs.

Trust the true "Paddy's" in this thread - it's Paddy's!!!!

According to Google search:

"St. Patty's Day"
About 13,600,000 results

"Paddy's Day"
About 167,000,000 results

So I guess that settles it then! :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I think that depends on your age and your geographical location.
I know people who use it regularly, specifically as a slur. But the other term certainly was more popular, particularly in later years.
San Francisco, in my 50's. We do have a somewhat large Irish population here, so that may have something to do with it. Perhaps on the East Coast things are different.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus le cuidiú Dé bulailfaidh muid leat in Éirinn gan mhoill...

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
And hopefully we will meet you in Ireland soon....

Oh and:
Féadfaidh gach do bearradh a bheith chomh réidh agus is bun le leanbh
:wink2:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Oh and:

Barber Eile "Ní beidh a leithéid arís ann!!!"

Pleased with my self that I got all but the last bit with out reaching for the dictionary.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Oh and:

Awesome!!! BBS ALL THE WAY!!!! :thumbup:

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Here in Boston, a very diverse city with many cultures, we have a number of folks or Irish ancestry as well as Irish expatriates. Commonly, people would say St. Paddies Day or St. Patrick's day. I don't think that I've ever heard St. Pattie's Day, but with accents, dialects and the fact that I might not be paying attention... :001_smile

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's St. Patrick's day usually meant a boiled corned beef dinner including potatoes, turnips and carrots all boiled in big pot. Being nominally Irish (a grandmother born in Ireland to Scottish parents?), it seemed to me that Irish Americans would have the same dinner, but with larger groups of family and friends, some Irish Beer or Whiskey.

Fast forward to modern times, there re many more good Irish pubs, more actual Irish people, certainly more Irish beer. More importantly, there's much more Irish music, both traditional and modern such as the Dropkick Murphiys (perhaps an Americanized version of The Pogues)

If there's much trouble in the world today, it's important to be appreciative of the positive things. Ireland although dealing with it's own economic crisis, is largely over the religious conflict that caused so much suffering over centuries. In the U.S. the old ethnic rivalries that divided one imigrant group from another are largely historical memory. It was the children born in the 60's and 70's that crossed the line and married different ethincities, ie. Italian marrying Irish. This doesn't seem like a big deal today, but it was hugely radical in it's day.

Wishing you all a wonderful St. Patrick's day and that you spend it with someone you love. Elle, wishing you best of Luck in your studies. I'm sure that all American B&B'ers who travel in Eire, will look you up for a haircut and a shave.

Last edited:
Okay.
I'll bite my tongue and just post it just once here... calmly... and in a normal tone.

Dear Everyone,
The Irish festival on the 17th of March is Saint Patrick's Day. You all know this. This can also be abbreviated to simply "Paddy's Day".
It can NEVER be abbreviated to "Patty's Day". Never. Never ever.
Edit: Occasionally some people say "Saint Paddy's Day"... but not very often.

Thank you,
Barber Eile.

poe-TAY-toe .... pah-TAH-toe :tongue:

I was at a U2 concert in Los Angeles in 1985 and Bono screamed out "Slainte!" and then "Erin Go Bragh"! he said some other choice words in English about the British, but I won't repeat those here.

this was ust before they sang "Sunday, Bloody, Sunday".

No idea what it means really, but I'll take it as law that it is Paddy's Day, not the other Forbidden word...

Remember the people of Omagh. Stop the Violence now...

Last edited:
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Today is also the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy. Also, it's my birthday, so I get to celebrate for three reasons! :biggrin1:

So Pat goes to the his local tavern every St. Paddy's day and loudly orders three pints of Guiness, announcing "This one is for me, and these two are for my two brothers back in Ireland". He does this for years.

One fine St Patrick's Day, he comes in to the tavern, very sad. The smiling proprietor says, "Pat, I'll get you your three pints," but Pat shakes his head, staring at the ground, and holds up two fingers.

"Pat, I'm so sorry, which one of your brothers in Ireland has passed on?" asks the proprietor.

"Oh, they're both fine," says Pat, "but I've quit drinkin'."

Topgumby, you crack me up !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom