What's new

Paddy's Day NOT Patty's Day

Toe-may-toe .... toe-mah-toe.
More like: Toe-May-Toe ... Toe-TAT-Toe
p.s. 33 1/3
:a30: <--- that a shillelagh I'm pokin' ya with there!

I am all ready for SAINT PADDY'S DAY I have my guinness and corned beef and cabbage. Eile I hope this is a proper way to celebrate. I do this every year. Tell me how you celebrate in Ireland.:biggrin1:
Me? I generally wear a green tshirt and make sure to avoid the city center like the plague. It's horrible in there. Messy, messy drunk people everywhere and the pubs are literally so full it's uncomfortable. Last time, years ago, I went into a pub in the city center on Paddy's Day, I was stuck crammed against a wall behind a door... seriously. It was the only free space and I had two friends there with me!
She said Patties....
:thumbup::lol::lol:

More like: Toe-May-Toe ... Toe-TAT-Toe

:a30: <--- that a shillelagh I'm pokin' ya with there!

Me? I generally wear a green tshirt and make sure to avoid the city center like the plague. It's horrible in there. Messy, messy drunk people everywhere and the pubs are literally so full it's uncomfortable. Last time, years ago, I went into a pub in the city center on Paddy's Day, I was stuck crammed against a wall behind a door... seriously. It was the only free space and I had two friends there with me!

:thumbup::lol::lol:

Sounds cozy. :001_huh:

Considering that hardly anyone, and I would imagine that includes the Irish, know what the holiday is about, I propose we just change the name to "Get Drunk and Wear Green Day."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's St. Patrick's Day anywhere.

In Ireland, I'm sure you are right and it's St. Paddy's as an acceptable short version.

Here in America, either St. Paddy's Day or St. Patty's day is common and acceptable.

The reason?

The Irish for Patrick is Padraig hence the Irish use a D instead of a T.
America is more influenced by the English language than Gaelic so they use the Anglicised version.

Patty is an acceptable short form for Patrick.

There is also the connotation by some in America that Paddy is a derogatory term for Irishmen, and so they prefer to use Patty over Paddy.

Either way, hope everyone has a good one, I will (he's my Patron Saint).

In Ireland, I'm sure you are right and it's St. Paddy's as an acceptable short version.

Here in America, either St. Paddy's Day or St. Patty's day is common and acceptable.

The reason?

America is more influenced by the English language than Gaelic so they use the Anglicised version.

There is also the connotation by some in America that Paddy is a derogatory term for Irishmen, and so they prefer to use Patty over Paddy.

As in "Paddy Wagon." Yep, that's the case.

So Pat goes to the his local tavern every St. Paddy's day and loudly orders three pints of Guiness, announcing "This one is for me, and these two are for my two brothers back in Ireland". He does this for years.

One fine St Patrick's Day, he comes in to the tavern, very sad. The smiling proprietor says, "Pat, I'll get you your three pints," but Pat shakes his head, staring at the ground, and holds up two fingers.

"Pat, I'm so sorry, which one of your brothers in Ireland has passed on?" asks the proprietor.

"Oh, they're both fine," says Pat, "but I've quit drinkin'."

Hmmm I guess. I never thought of it that way. Personally I would think the tone, rather than the word, would make it either ok or offensive.
I guess it's like lots of words whereby it's okay if you are of that class/culture/ethnicity etc to use the words but not if you aren't.
Still...
I hearby give you all permission to say "Paddy's Day"!:clover: (and yes I know that's not shamrock!)

And I agree that it's simply a "let's get drunk" day for most people... hence my aversion to going into the city center. Plus I can't drink alcohol.

Look at this commotion in here! It's like my childhood Sunday afternoons at the K of C bar all over again. Except nobody has thrown a beer and tomato juice on anybody yet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Hmmm I guess. I never thought of it that way. Personally I would think the tone, rather than the word, would make it either ok or offensive.
I guess it's like lots of words whereby it's okay if you are of that class/culture/ethnicity etc to use the words but not if you aren't.
Still...
I hearby give you all permission to say "Paddy's Day"!:clover: (and yes I know that's not shamrock!)

And I agree that it's simply a "let's get drunk" day for most people... hence my aversion to going into the city center. Plus I can't drink alcohol.

Well, if our resident Irish Lass says it's okay, then it's okay.

Of course, 150 years ago the Irish immigrants in the US may have been treated rather poorly by some of the locals, so there may be some lingering resentment, but I suspect that issue has run its course and we can move on with that being nothing more than an historical footnote now.

Of course, my own Irish forefathers came from County Fermanagh, so maybe I should make sure to wear orange on the 17th ... :ohmy:

If you are going to wear orange make sure to accompany it with green and white.
We like the peace between the two :thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Isn't 'Paddy' a racist smear?

The reason?

Is the date chosen just arbitrary like most holidays?

It's generally accepted by most historians that March 17th is the day of his death, though there is debate about the year.

Barber-Eile,

Since you can't drink alcohol, you may try the magic elixir that some of the Irish (and other Celts) perfected in the States. Southern Sweet Iced Tea. I haven't figured out how to get the real deal to you, but it is addictive stuff.

Barber-Eile,

Since you can't drink alcohol, you may try the magic elixir that some of the Irish (and other Celts) perfected in the States. Southern Sweet Iced Tea. I haven't figured out how to get the real deal to you, but it is addictive stuff.

I was just at a dry weddin' in Alabama over the weekend. "Diabetes in a glass," I think I heard someone call it.

Isn't 'Paddy' a racist smear?
Perhaps in England, but not in the U.S. to my knowledge. In the U.S., the term "Mic" was more common. I have an uncle named Anthony that everyone referred to as Mic. Middle name Michael, of course.

Odd, I don't think I have ever heard it referred to as "St. Patty's Day."

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Perhaps in England, but not in the U.S. to my knowledge. In the U.S., the term "Mic" was more common. I have an uncle named Anthony that everyone referred to as Mic. Middle name Michael, of course.

I think that depends on your age and your geographical location.
I know people who use it regularly, specifically as a slur. But the other term certainly was more popular, particularly in later years.

Top Bottom