What's new

Paddy's Day NOT Patty's Day

Barber-Eile,

Since you can't drink alcohol, you may try the magic elixir that some of the Irish (and other Celts) perfected in the States. Southern Sweet Iced Tea. I haven't figured out how to get the real deal to you, but it is addictive stuff.

Or you could drink 2 bottles of Robitussin. Your choice.

I'll be celebrating St. Paddy's day by grilling some burger patties in my rice paddy with my friend Patty who is rather fond of Pad-Thai.

Good to know the "Irish" way of saying it, Barber-Eile (I don't want to assume I know people's first names...just ask drewmac). Thanks! :thumbup1:

I believe it involves going to Mass, not the pub.

It is considered your patriotic duty to "drown the shamrock" on Paddy's day!

Ps
If you have ever been to rural Ireland you may have noticed that the pub is always just beside the Church.

This allows the Auld fellas to have a couple of quick whiskeys and and two half pints of the black stuff to wash these down with before Mass. This helps things go faster, the old boys stand at the back, so they can sneak out quickly at the end for a repeat performance, before they are found by their better halves, who were busy lighting candles for them after Mass.

It's only after coming here that I discovered that "Patty" was common in the US. Try that in Dublin this Thursday and you'll have a lot of very very drunk Paddys (I wouldn't consider Paddy an insult, Mick maybe, but not Paddy) educate you on the proper pronunciation, at length, in between drinks. And there will be absolutely no way out of it.

Dunno what will be common this year since Arthur's day just kinda sprung up out of nowhere and has become the Guinness holiday. I'll be in work. In the airport. Dealing with all ye foreigners. Probably better that way, I'm not a fan of drunken crowds. I'll celebrate on Saturday.

In short, listen to the girl. :tongue_sm

I for one wish we could go back to the days when we referred to this noble holiday by its proper, full name: the Day of th'Ides of St. Padrick's Hollow.

Perhaps in England, but not in the U.S. to my knowledge. In the U.S., the term "Mic" was more common. I have an uncle named Anthony that everyone referred to as Mic. Middle name Michael, of course.

Not sure "Mick" was always a derogatory term...my grandfather called my Irish grandmother Mick as a pet name, like Honey or Dear, from the day they met to the day he died. She never took offense to it. :001_smile

And considering I'm in work that night it'll simple be another Thursday to me too. Hopefully we won't get any drunk people wandering in.

But if they do, since you work at a barbershop you can experiment with some of those more "exotic" hairstyles on them you've been wanting to try. :thumbup1:

But if they do, since you work at a barbershop you can experiment with some of those more "exotic" hairstyles on them you've been wanting to try. :thumbup1:

Actually, though I am training to be a barber I work in a video rental place. It helps pay the college bills and the hours work around my college time. I tend to be in college 9-5 and then work 6- 11:15. It's a long busy day but a girl's gotta eat!

Actually, though I am training to be a barber I work in a video rental place. It helps pay the college bills and the hours work around my college time. I tend to be in college 9-5 and then work 6- 11:15. It's a long busy day but a girl's gotta eat!

Ah, then it might be a little trickier, or else they will have to be a lot drunker, for you to try out those new hair styles on them!

I do hope you have a good St. Patrick's Day, Danielle! :thumbup1:

You could always threaten to hit them in the face with an oven mit full of ball bearings.
Long story... but apparently it's how one person got rid of drunks from their store.

Here's the short, cleaner version of the story.
A friend worked in a pizza place what was open late at night.
It wasn't in the best area of the city and attracted a lot of drunks after the bars closed (last call is at 2am).
The guy was a short guy who told my bud that if anyone came in and wouldn't leave, he should "hit 'em with the mitt" at which point he produced a large oven mitt from under the counter. The end was full of ball bearings.
My buddy says that if you swung that thing hard enough, you'd kill someone.
After he was told about the mitt, the owner would be working some nights and would tell him that indeed, he did hit people who wouldn't go.
At times, when someone came in, the owner would look to the mitt as if he wanted to bean the guy just because.

I think that's an exaggeration, but the mitt is not.

The pizza place is long gone now. The mitt only lives in our memories.

Top Bottom