What's new

PAA Starling GEM SE

It comes with 2 plates one more efficient than the other, I;m sure the efficiency will be good, I'm only concerned about the smoothness.

It comes with 2 plates one more efficient than the other, I;m sure the efficiency will be good, I'm only concerned about the smoothness.

Bought one as well. Never used a GEM. AC SE fan myself. Wanted to try a modem GEM but didn’t want to pay ATT G1 or Blackland Sabre prices. Already have enough money invested in AC razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements just posted their new Gem type single edge, the "Starling" in anodized aluminum. Placed my order for one.

I ordered one too. I probably wouldn't have taken a blind chance without the inclusion of the second "beta" base plate. I'm psyched to give it a whirl.

Bought one as well. Never used a GEM. AC SE fan myself. Wanted to try a modem GEM but didn’t want to pay ATT G1 or Blackland Sabre prices. Already have enough money invested in AC razors.

+1.
I wanted to try out a GEM razor for some time now, but couldn't justify to buy a Blackland Sabre just for that and the vintage ones on the bay, often were in a bad shape, overpriced or both. What i espescially like is, that you get two baseplates. I saw the prototype pictures some time ago and wanted one badly, so when i noticed they became available, i had to order one.

Mine shipped, it's gonna be a while until it reaches the our shores, so until then I'll have to make do with the reviews.

I don’t really write shave reports and I don’t claim that this is one either. Ha. However, I learned that i’m not a fan of GEM style razor blades. Note: This was my first GEM shave. Used Personna PTFE. Now, even though this was my first shave with the Starling (A plate) I still think it’s my last with a “paint scraper” type razor. This is not a knock on the Starling since I don’t have another comparable GEM razor. Those that like GEM’s might love it. I’ll stick to my AC blades. I’ll prob move this razor to the future “den clearing” stack.

Now, it wasn’t a murder scene at all. Didn’t carve me up. However. Not smooth. Rough as hell and rather uncomfortable. Chattery all over the place. I’m not one that believes in shaving a crapload with a razor to try to get to some kind of level of acceptance. I don’t really believe in the learning curve concept with razors. Always found it rather easy to figure out the angles and nuances of a razor in just a few passes. I was an immediate fan of AC razors right away. First shave. Made me forget DE’s. Good luck to everyone else. Hope it turns out different for everyone!

I don’t really write shave reports and I don’t claim that this is one either. Ha. However, I learned that i’m not a fan of GEM style razor blades. Note: This was my first GEM shave. Used Personna PTFE. Now, even though this was my first shave with the Starling (A plate) I still think it’s my last with a “paint scraper” type razor. This is not a knock on the Starling since I don’t have another comparable GEM razor. Those that like GEM’s might love it. I’ll stick to my AC blades. I’ll prob move this razor to the future “den clearing” stack.

Now, it wasn’t a murder scene at all. Didn’t carve me up. However. Not smooth. Rough as hell and rather uncomfortable. Chattery all over the place. I’m not one that believes in shaving a crapload with a razor to try to get to some kind of level of acceptance. I don’t really believe in the learning curve concept with razors. Always found it rather easy to figure out the angles and nuances of a razor in just a few passes. I was an immediate fan of AC razors right away. First shave. Made me forget DE’s. Good luck to everyone else. Hope it turns out different for everyone!

I second what you have experienced. I bought a GEM 1912 and had a very rough shave with it. Tried 4 shaves that were very unpleasant with tons of irritation.

Did anyone hold on to one of these gem style starling razors? I don't see many recent comments about them and rarely see them posted on the daily shaves. I'd like to obtain one but have no idea when or if PAA is going to produce more. They told me "soon" two weeks ago. If anyone has one sitting around and don't really use it or want it, please let me know. Thanks [emoji106].

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I have V1 & V2 and assume V1 is gone for good with the release of the improved V2 version. I think it is a good shaver and believe it is worth waiting for the next batch if you are interested.
Steve

Top Bottom