What's new

PAA Starling GEM SE

That is real cool looking! Never seen a DE with rollers before. Saweeet!
Actually there have been some around for a while. The rarest unobtanium is the Roller Guard made around 1920 -30.

5KyeF8j.jpg

The other more famous one, but folks don't think about it because of it's other more famous feature is the Stahly Live Blade. I recently got the Stahly and found out that the vibrator was broken (and many have told me that was probably a good thing) and have been using the head in my regular rotation using a different handle.
stahly.jpg

Rollers does make for an interesting shave. I look forward to my SE Wilkinson shaves.

Actually there have been some around for a while. The rarest unobtanium is the Roller Guard made around 1920 -30.

View attachment 819085
The other more famous one, but folks don't think about it because of it's other more famous feature is the Stahly Live Blade. I recently got the Stahly and found out that the vibrator was broken (and many have told me that was probably a good thing) and have been using the head in my regular rotation using a different handle.
View attachment 819086
Rollers does make for an interesting shave. I look forward to my SE Wilkinson shaves.
Stahly Live Blade? And it vibrates? Nice!!! Google it!!!!!!

The Roller Guard made in Chicago? My least favorite DE roller, plus those seem way more common than the Valmi or the Castilla.

I only ask because I tried the Rochnel and I got cut by the edge of the blade pretty badly. I really wished that the Rochnel DID have the blade tabs. If I had the Rochnel and it was my only razor, I would take a Dremel to my GEM blades and round off the corners.

I have the Rocnel and suspect that the blade was not centered during installation or the set screw was not tightened, allowing blade side movement. I can see the blade corner possibly causing problems if exposed beyond the razor head edge, but not otherwise. I certainly have not had a problem but note that blade installation is not idiot proof.

I have the Rocnel and suspect that the blade was not centered during installation or the set screw was not tightened, allowing blade side movement. I can see the blade corner possibly causing problems if exposed beyond the razor head edge, but not otherwise. I certainly have not had a problem but note that blade installation is not idiot proof.
I made sure it was centered. I thought it was tightened down, but maybe it loosened.

It just seems like a no-brainer to go ahead and block those sharp edges.

On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier, my GEM Junior exposes them and when I shaved with it I didn't have any problem at all.

It is called a Pall Mall!

View attachment 818898

Looks like the one you pictured has the fixed height roller. Other models have a variable height roller to adjust razor aggressiveness. I have both. I also have a Mandarin / Le Totai German wedge blade razor that per what I have read used the original roller guard design, licensed from Wilkinson. Pre WW1 per my information and it is a Gem blade compatible design.

Mandarin-2.jpg
Mandarin-1.jpg

Looks like the one you pictured has the fixed height roller. Other models have a variable height roller to adjust razor aggressiveness. I have both. I also have a Mandarin / Le Totai German wedge blade razor that per what I have read used the original roller guard design, licensed from Wilkinson. Pre WW1 per my information and it is a Gem blade compatible design.

Will a Totai shave with a Gem blade?

Will a Totai shave with a Gem blade?

Mine will. The blade stops closely resemble those on a post 1911 Henckels Rapide or Wotan and the roller comb snaps out of the razor head for cleaning if required. The Gem blade width is near the maximum that will fit the razor so very little blade side play when properly seated. My razor is in close to new condition.

Mine will. The blade stops closely resemble those on a post 1911 Henckels Rapide or Wotan and the roller comb snaps out of the razor head for cleaning if required. The Gem blade width is near the maximum that will fit the razor so very little blade side play when properly seated. My razor is in close to new condition.

You got a good price on that. Was tempted to bid. Have you done a shave report here?

Available for order mañana. CNC Machined. 7075 Aluminum. 2 base plates included.

Anyone have additional info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Available for order mañana. CNC Machined. 7075 Aluminum. 2 base plates included.

Anyone have additional info?

Hey Mods....this isn’t for sale by me. I was asking about it. Phoenix shaving has it for sale today on their site. It was for razor discussion. Can you please place it back in the single edge discussion? Thanks!

I started a thread on this last night. A Mod must have thought I had one for sale and stuffed the thread in the marketplace forum. Doug is going to send an alert and email when available.

If you are concerned about missing out, you can go on the PAA website and sign up for text alerts. Supposedly one will be sent today when the Starling is available.

Top Bottom