What's new

PAA Starling GEM SE

Of the newer Gem blade razors, the only one that uses blade stops is the Blackland Sabre. The only reason why Blackland did it was to protect your face from the sharp edges of the blade. It was able to secure the blade with the post going through the middle slot and two small posts to secure the blade at the end notches. I think that this is a good idea in addition to just being another point to secure the blade.
You don't need blade stops to protect the face. I wish blade stops would just go away! :001_rolle

What's wrong with them? Do they affect the shave adversely in any way? If so I can't imagine how.
They take a tiny bit of blade real estate out of action but really don't have any negative effect. It's a personal preference, hence the smiley face. No need for them though.

We ALL just need a modern Gem blade razor that is less than $185.

+1

It would be really great to have a cheap new GEM style razor. The RazoRock Hawk allowed me to try out SE shaving with AC blades without investing to much money in something that may not be for me, it would be great to have something similar for GEM blades.

They take a tiny bit of blade real estate out of action but really don't have any negative effect. It's a personal preference, hence the smiley face. No need for them though.
I only ask because I tried the Rochnel and I got cut by the edge of the blade pretty badly. I really wished that the Rochnel DID have the blade tabs. If I had the Rochnel and it was my only razor, I would take a Dremel to my GEM blades and round off the corners.

I only ask because I tried the Rochnel and I got cut by the edge of the blade pretty badly. I really wished that the Rochnel DID have the blade tabs. If I had the Rochnel and it was my only razor, I would take a Dremel to my GEM blades and round off the corners.

I hadn't considered that possibility. With the early Sharff I've not had any troubles with the Gem blade attacking me. I wonder if getting cut by the corner of the blade has been an issue with Rocnel owners?

IMO it all depends on the design of the rest of the razor head. The original Scharff Rapide did not need them with the wedge blades it used and neither did the early Kampfe Star wedge blade razors. Both used adjustable set screws against the face of the tapered wedge blade to control and adjust blade height. This did not work well with the introduction of Gem blades and multiple maker's dimension and spine variations. The blade edge stop was a simple solution that controlled the blade cutting edge position quite accurately and repeatedly. It did have disadvantages and was subject to damage in razors that had top flippers that could repeatedly impact the blade during blade changing. I have a couple of so damaged razors. Overall though the blade stop uses up a minimal amount of blade edge real estate and has remained a feature of most SE razors for 100 years.

I would note that the new razors without blade stops can, so far as I know, only accommodate current ASR made Gem blades with their minimal thickness spines. Older GEM blades with thicker spines and those without the center hole are not compatible while most of the old Gem razors other than the MMOC can digest all versions and ages of the Gem blades. This includes most wedge blade razors with blade edge stops. A blade stop equipped Henckels Rapide can use wedge blades, Gem blades, Valet blades or the old Gem Micromatic double edge blades readily, without razor or blade modification.

I hadn't considered that possibility. With the early Sharff I've not had any troubles with the Gem blade attacking me. I wonder if getting cut by the corner of the blade has been an issue with Rocnel owners?
There was a gentleman on another forum who posted a picture that looked like his cheek had been attacked by a bear. He said it was the worst shave he had ever had, and evidence suggested that the cuts were from the blade edges.

Interestingly, the GEM Junior has blade tabs, but they are too far in to actually cover the sharp blade edges. I guess they are to make sure the blade is held in place? But the edges are definitely not covered in the GEM Junior.

IMO it all depends on the design of the rest of the razor head. The original Scharff Rapide did not need them with the wedge blades it used and neither did the early Kampfe Star wedge blade razors. Both used adjustable set screws against the face of the tapered wedge blade to control and adjust blade height. This did not work well with the introduction of Gem blades and multiple maker's dimension and spine variations. The blade edge stop was a simple solution that controlled the blade cutting edge position quite accurately and repeatedly. It did have disadvantages and was subject to damage in razors that had top flippers that could repeatedly impact the blade during blade changing. I have a couple of so damaged razors. Overall though the blade stop uses up a minimal amount of blade edge real estate and has remained a feature of most SE razors for 100 years.

I would note that the new razors without blade stops can, so far as I know, only accommodate current ASR made Gem blades with their minimal thickness spines. Older GEM blades with thicker spines and those without the center hole are not compatible while most of the old Gem razors other than the MMOC can digest all versions and ages of the Gem blades. This includes most wedge blade razors with blade edge stops. A blade stop equipped Henckels Rapide can use wedge blades, Gem blades, Valet blades or the old Gem Micromatic double edge blades readily, without razor or blade modification.

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to blades. A lot of the guys here are. You, for one. :001_cool:

I do seem to recall looking at vintage razors with missing or worn blade stops. I can't wrap my head around pushing a hard sharp edge up against a soft material like brass and expecting it not to wear over time. The OB Core seems to have a problem with its plastic blades stops (don't quote me on this). Anyway, to me the better way to position the blade is with the blade cut-outs and not the cutting edge. In the case of the early Scharff the edge of the spine locates the blade front to back which is probably is not what the maker intended...but it works. I'm still lusting for that Charcoal Goods April fool razor. No blade stops and what a stunner. Add an OC roller guard to that design and I'll buy stock in the company.

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to blades. A lot of the guys here are. You, for one. :001_cool:

I do seem to recall looking at vintage razors with missing or worn blade stops. I can't wrap my head around pushing a hard sharp edge up against a soft material like brass and expecting it not to wear over time. The OB Core seems to have a problem with its plastic blades stops (don't quote me on this). Anyway, to me the better way to position the blade is with the blade cut-outs and not the cutting edge. In the case of the early Scharff the edge of the spine locates the blade front to back which is probably is not what the maker intended...but it works. I'm still lusting for that Charcoal Goods April fool razor. No blade stops and what a stunner. Add an OC roller guard to that design and I'll buy stock in the company.

Original Gem blades had no side cutouts or central oval hole. Both items added to the blades for the Micromatic Gem razor design circa 1930. I have multiple samples of the pre Micromatic blades. Most post Micromatic Gem razors could still use the old blades but the Micromatic models could not. One thing that makes me nervous is that any change to the Gem blade by the maker could render some very expensive razors designed for the current Gem blade obsolete. The razor makers have no control over their blade source that I am aware of.

A change to the Gem specification seems really unlikely. And makers should seek a relationship with their blade source. One Blade did.

I'm still lusting for that Charcoal Goods April fool razor. No blade stops and what a stunner. Add an OC roller guard to that design and I'll buy stock in the company.
It is called a Pall Mall!

00673-7.jpg

Does lather stick to that roller? The feature of the open comb roller guards I have is that they recycle the lather. And they feel good.
The roller is the most comfortable thing in the world! It doesn't glide on the face but rolls so there is no friction. And like you said it pushes the Lather right to the blade edge.

The roller is the most comfortable thing in the world! It doesn't glide on the face but rolls so there is no friction. And like you said it pushes the Lather right to the blade edge.

Who will be the first of the modern makers to add a roller? Rollers are the best kept secret out there.

Who will be the first of the modern makers to add a roller? Rollers are the best kept secret out there.
I think it will be awhile, if ever. I figure it is a cost thing. I mean the OC was replaced by the SB due to cost. Unfortunately I don't see a roller bar in the near future, which is a shame.

I think it will be awhile, if ever. I figure it is a cost thing. I mean the OC was replaced by the SB due to cost. Unfortunately I don't see a roller bar in the near future, which is a shame.

The roller on my DE Castilla is just a post with a spring surrounding it. Simple. Robust. Spins freely always. Very easy to duplicate and should last several generations at least.

castilla-oc.JPG

Top Bottom