What's new

Overly Critical Review: Razorock XXX

That's a very good point about QC. Isn't that what Maggards does with their razors? Buy cases of them, then only sell the ones that look good for full price?

I ask, not as a fanboy but as a potential customer, if you contacted IB to give them a chance to make it right? My older batch of XXX smells great; if I ordered a new one that had mild or no scent I'd be insisting on a return/refund as it would be defective.

I never contacted IB about, I just sold mine on B/S/T. You have a good point regarding going back to the vendor in that situation. I was so disappointed because the sample I got was amazing. I just have a hard time re-ordering it based on my previous experiences.

I too had a pre December batch of XXX which had almost no scent whatsoever. Sure it was a bad batch and all but, why was it released? Where is the quality control? I dig RR's philosophy and their soap offerings, but I've been burned by them with the XXX which had no scent, and my recent purchase of the Stallion had little scent as well, smelled just like the XXX did.

When I drop $10 and 4-5 additional dollars on shipping for a product, I expect it smell like it claims to smell. I am frustrated with RR over this because I don't expect to dig around on the forums before any purchase I make to make sure it is the "good" batch. Isn't that on the company to ensure they are providing a consistent, reliable product? I bought XXX pre-December, and IMHO I did not get XXX. I got (like many others on here got) a mistake, a under scented soap that was not fit to have the XXX sticker that was on it.

I think this is something that gets little attention on here and deserves some critical thought.

The Stallion soap that I have, while not close to my favorite scent, is almost overwhelmingly powerful. I can smell the soap even after the application of aftershave! My brush smelled of it even after shaving with three other soaps afterwards.

For the sake of argument lets assume our noses are of similar sensitivity, that's some pretty astounding batch variation.

Your post surprised me in fact. I would say the Stallion is the most powerfully scented soap RR has produced (caveat - I own about 23 RR soaps)

The Stallion soap that I have, while not close to my favorite scent, is almost overwhelmingly powerful. I can smell the soap even after the application of aftershave! My brush smelled of it even after shaving with three other soaps afterwards.

For the sake of argument lets assume our noses are of similar sensitivity, that's some pretty astounding batch variation.

Your post surprised me in fact. I would say the Stallion is the most powerfully scented soap RR has produced (caveat - I own about 23 RR soaps)

The newest Son of Zeus I received with The Stallion has suburb scent, just like TDH and strong throughout the shave. That one I love. The Stallion I received smelled just like the XXX, soap smell and nothing.

FWIW I've had two containers of XXX and both smell the same and have the same strength.

One was from last summer (black label and red/white letters) and the other maybe from the fall (red label with stylized logo). I'm not sure if the second tub is from the current batch or not.

Hello to all!

I just received my xxx today and i must say I'm pleased. Still New in wet shaving but i think i can understand/realize when a product is good. Nice protection, easy lathering, nice aroma and nice post shaving feel.

I bought XXX 2-3 years ago and I think it's an excellent soap. I understand some soaps being
too strong, not strong enough, hard to lather, easy to lather, etc. but I've had pretty good luck with RR soaps
and the price is right. Come to think of it though my Don Donato soap is void of any scent . Now with soaps getting to be
25-30 bucks I'm rethinking my purchases on the so called high end artisan soaps.

I bought XXX on Amazon because it was cheap, and I was curious. It has an expiration date of Dec 2024. Mild scent. Not my favorite. Not bad. I agree with the reviewer about the lather and post-shave feel. Not the quality of most of the small-batch artisans. I would say you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom