What's new

open comb or slant?

It sounds like slants are smoother, but oc are more aggressive...is this accurate?

For me it's been the opposite.
I can get a good shave with my Merkur 42c OC - I usually get a few weepers regardless of DE blade used.
When I used my Merkur 39c slant I always had weepers and razor burn.

I'm sure there are differences between brands of OC and slants, but that's how these two from Merkur stacked up for me.
The slant sure is beautiful though...

My two favorite razors currently are a SC Gillette NEW and a Merkur 39C. I love both of them, great razors! The NEW feels a little more efficient to me but the sledgehammer is still a very efficient razor and maybe a little more forgiving. You can't go wrong with either one but eventually you should give both a try.

a very common question - the, what shall I get for my second razor?

without knowing what you have now or what your shaving preferences are it is difficult to offer a suggestion.

however, I'll have a go. strongly recommend a slant (merkur 37/39or vintage Hoffritz). if you don't want a slant, get an adjustable (merkur Progress or vintage slim/fatbot). if you already have an adjustable, then an oc (merkur etc or vintage gillette long comb). if you don't want an oc then how about..... you get the picture.

For your second razor I'd say maybe try a slant since there are really only two to choose from the Merkur($40-$50) or Ikon($150) There are so many OC razors out there you could make them your 3rd through 10th razors.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You can duplicate a slant's shave with your Gillette NEW (or any razor) by using the "Gillette Slide." Directions published years ago.
Picture holding your razor level at your sideburn. Instead of going straight down, go down and forward toward the side of your mouth while holding razor level. This gives you the idea to use that technique for the rest of your shave. It works! I use it all the time.

RE; select "Forum" look under "general shave talk"
Forum "shave clinic & newbie check-in"
Thread "advanced techniques: buffing and j-hooking"
Post #9 for illustration

Last edited:
I should not read these posts, I am happy I use a DB89L daily, sometimes interspersed with a classic from my small but growing collection. But damn now I want to go shopping for open comb and a slant...

Are there any metal OC Slants out there?

Hi,

I have not found one yet....

The all metal Fasan is a Safety Bar. There is a variant of the Doppleschrag where the handle and top cap are metal, but the base plate is the same bakelite as the one I have.

Stan

You can duplicate a slant's shave with your Gillette NEW (or any razor) by using the "Gillette Slide." Directions published years ago.
Picture holding your razor level at your sideburn. Instead of going straight down, go down and forward toward the side of your mouth while holding razor level. This gives you the idea to use that technique for the rest of your shave. It works! I use it all the time.

RE; select "Forum" look under "general shave talk"
Forum "shave clinic & newbie check-in"
Thread "advanced techniques: buffing and j-hooking"
Post #9 for illustration

I was just about to post this. Learn how to slide and you can be more efficient with ANY razor, not stuck to a slant.

If vintage razors are not an issue, you could consider trying single edge razors.

My favourite razor is a Gem Push button which is as mild as a Tech (to my face) and agressive as anything I have tried (to my whiskers).

The answer to all shaving "should I get x or y product" questions is always "get both"!
You don't know til you try, and if you don't like it, someone on the B/S/T will...

Top Bottom