What's new

Oneblade CORE and HYBRID, RIP

Oneblade is phasing out CORE and HYBRID offerings, explaining "As we move forward to our vision of sustainable all-metal designs, it's time to bid farewell to these classics." I really thought the CORE was a great entry-level offering; I think they're making a mistake with this.

I did not like the one blade razor, or business model at all.

I have absolutely no factual basis for this, but perhaps by eliminating the lower cost, lower profit razors they are setting the stage for a reduced price on the blades; maintaining a relatively constant profit per customer. Time will tell.

Oneblade is phasing out CORE and HYBRID offerings, explaining "As we move forward to our vision of sustainable all-metal designs, it's time to bid farewell to these classics." I really thought the CORE was a great entry-level offering; I think they're making a mistake with this.
I also agree that eliminating the CORE is a mistake. They now no longer have an entry-level razor to entice cartridge shavers to at least try their single blade. The CORE was manufactured in Mexico and the Hybrid was assembled in Mexico, I wonder if something happened with their Mexican operations.

I have absolutely no factual basis for this, but perhaps by eliminating the lower cost, lower profit razors they are setting the stage for a reduced price on the blades; maintaining a relatively constant profit per customer. Time will tell.
Doubtful - the all steel version was the first one they released. Besides, it's Feather who makes the blades, and had been before OneBlade existed, so while they may have some wiggle room in pricing the blades in North America, having an exclusive deal on them there (AFAIK), it won't be that large.
I think it's more likely that they're thinking people have become used to buying expensive stuff, so the market might be in a better place to absorb a premium offering than before.

I think it's more likely that they're thinking people have become used to buying expensive stuff, so the market might be in a better place to absorb a premium offering than before.
I think that you're absolutely right about the price of the razor, though I think they would be well served to get the annual price of the blades down, as a lot of people are put off by that. And, to your point, we already know that a comparatively huge number of people are willing to pay, say, $300 for a razor that consumes $80/year in blades (I chose 200 Feather blades per year at Amazon for this example).

The only way to now purchase the CORE on their website is through a $135 kit. Buying only the razor is not an option. 🤔 If they want to expand their market, they really need to have a relatively inexpensive razor and absolutely address the cost of blades.

With luck they might be phasing these out in anticipation of a new design using reasonably priced blades
Blades are decently priced if you buy them elsewhere (in bulk). I paid like $112 a few months ago for 240 blades that came straight from Japan. That's like .46 cents per blade!
I get 2 good shaves out of each (and can probably push 3 shaves!)
And considering that I have a razor rotation that includes DE, AC, Injector & GEM, they'll
probably last me a good 5+ years!
For me, the FHS-10 blade and the OneBlade razors are phenomenal. It's my only "very different" razor/blade
that is at the top of my list.

Looks like they have a hybrid replacement called the element..the element is only 80 dollars and all metal just like the hybrid, but a little cheaper ..
I think they just slapped an aluminum handle on to the Hybrid/Genesis head.
Makes sense to me!
I like the Hybrid a lot so I'll try out the new one at some point. I'll wait till they have one
of their super sales!

Top Bottom