What's new

Old Spice Original is burning my face

Being a big fan or Old Spice and living in India I remember using Old spice ever since my peach fuzz days through multi blade system and return to wet shaving some 10 years ago.

To correct recall and for benefit of everyone else here who have been using Indian Old spice I will just quickly run through who all have been bottling this elixir in India.

1. Cosme Matias Menezes based in Goa, group bought the brand from UK-based Shulton (Not US Shulton). CMM manufactured and distributed the blue yacht logo across buoy shaped ivory (Not white) bottle from 70s onward. The year of introduction was 1964 I think.
2. CMM kept and held the rights even through the sale of Shulton to American Cyanamid in 1970, and then upto P&G’s acquisition in 1990.
3. In 1993, P&G had a JV with Godrej wherein Godrej had the distribution and sales duties up to 1999 and P&G just collected royalties since it was busy fighting for shelf space with Unilever India and couldn’t care less for a brand that was all but a single aftershave line. (It was up to this point the Indian Old Spice had same old formula as UK markets and very close to USA version, to my nose at least).
4. From 1999 to 2002 Marico took over the sales and distribution but sales suffered due to poor networking but in reality it was due to Marico going all out to cement their place in branded cooking oil segment and Old Spice was not really a priority for them.
5. Beginning of 2003, M.C.P.L (India) Pvt. Ltd (erstwhile CMM Ltd renamed as MCPL in 1994) again took over the duties of sales and distribution of Old Spice, a brand that was still a spit in P&G account books. This continued till 2012 and P&G did not renew the agreement. (During this time even MCPL did some tweaking to the formula and it was not really the old formulation they use to bottle up to 1992 before Godrej.)

I bought my last supplies in 1994 from last of the leftover old stock made by MCPL used them up last month. I rerolled on B&B the same time and realised what a deafening racket Old Spice is subject to since I never visited the shops to buy Old Spice for over 20 years !!!

With no choice available and not willing to drop silly sums for UK stocks I bought 2 bottles each of Fresh Lime and Original bottled by Rubicon. Eager to try the new stuff I had my usual three pass shave with a mild aggressive Parker razor using MWF and badger brush. I used a new Feather blade and it was a real smooth close shave. I took a generous scoop from a new white bottle of old spice original, it didn’t smell anything like I have known all these years but proceeded nevertheless... one second ... and a napalm bomb exploded on my face, quickly devouring my face like ghost rider coming into form. I almost screamed with agony and burn nd rushed to the bathroom again to douse the flames leaping all around... Holy Mother Mary ...!!!

I have always known the Old Spice to be slightly ‘warming’ at face feel but this is not OLD SPICE. It is a pure alcohol shot with fistfuls of pepper shoved in for good measure, burning your face if you have a bad shave or a blade like Feather in your razor.

I am not the sort to nitpick over trifling things like a tweaked formula but I am just livid and indignant at this one. Not because it buyer’s remorse or something P&G have no right to do but they have just turned it into something else and not usable by any stretch of imagination.

This stuff is cheap here. At US $ 6.5 for 2 bottles of 150 ML each am not berating the money but what else is there I can turn to if I want a better Old Spice?

Can I try to cut it with witch hazel? Water? But it is not going to help much for I tried to put this on when I had a 24 hour old stubble but this stuff still warmed up my ears... this is so bad.

I am really at loss to think how this can be turned into something more usable.. :a31:
Old-Spice-Original.jpg

If you put it on with stubble and it still lit you up, you may be allergic to something in the new formulation. It is likely the formula changed since the last time you used it. Not sure what I would recommend, a lot of folks here like Stirling's and B&M's take in Old Spice. Issue is that those are both US-based artisans so shipping to India is likely to be rather pricey.

I occasionally use the Classic version as sold by US retailers and have had no issues. Photo shows bottle as it comes here:

proxy.php

I am completely addicted to the India made Fresh Lime version. Ironically enough, the very first time I tried it, I didn't like it and put it up for several months. Then one day out of the blue I tried it again and was hooked. I have no explanation for why such events take place.

The Classic as sold here in the US is "okay" but lacks the pungent kick and smooth face feel Fresh Lime gives me as the day wears on. Not sure what the major differences between the two types are, but it's Fresh Lime on my face 90% of the time :)

Howler@ I have been having a good look at the ingredient list but I don’t think I am able to pin point anything specific that I am allergic to. This formula is changed for sure. The earlier one was lot more Anise and coumarin/Vanilla nutmeg scented to me. It was a good package in all but this is just something else. As if the old version has gone on steroids and hell lot spicy. I am sure there is peppercorn in it with higher alcohol %. I can cut it with witch hazel or water but then it is going to be much weaker scent. I don’t like my AS to be wimpy since I don’t normally use Deodorants afterward.

In all fairness however I have to give in that this version of Old Spice Original has legs and my wife could smell it on me even after 6 hours. Something that I have never got from old stock I had. Given how sharp and ‘warming’ new iteration of Indian Old Spice is, I can see it being a perfect winter time AS for folks over there in US. The usual caveat is, you’d have to like Indian Original Old Spice in spite of it being very different from US Old Spice.

Highspeedlane@ I got two bottles of Lime as well along with Original version. I have to say that my old stock Lime Old Spice haven’t changed a bit and it is a relief.
Any Old Spice version seems to improve and become mellow/ complex as it ages in glass bottle. For the Lime version I add about 8-9 drops of pure Lime essential oil per 100ML and it just takes Old Spice Lime to a different level.
Give it a spin sometime when you have mostly used up the old bottle, you may like it even more.

Highspeedlane@ I got two bottles of Lime as well along with Original version. I have to say that my old stock Lime Old Spice haven’t changed a bit and it is a relief.
Any Old Spice version seems to improve and become mellow/ complex as it ages in glass bottle. For the Lime version I add about 8-9 drops of pure Lime essential oil per 100ML and it just takes Old Spice Lime to a different level.
Give it a spin sometime when you have mostly used up the old bottle, you may like it even more.

I think I will try that! :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have been using the “Classic” lately. I used my last bottle of the original American OS probably 20 years ago. I always like the scent but found it a bit loud. The “Classic”
version still has the same or similar scent but seems more subdued. I can’t possibly remember exactly what then old stuff smelled like but I’m sure I like the modern better. Also the old version did have more burn. That I’m sure of (I think).

Steve the Old Spice always had a slight burn or warming built into it. But new formulation just went over the top for me. From what I read here, notwithstanding the burn, Purists don't think Classic is anywhere near older formula.

I have been using the “Classic” lately. I used my last bottle of the original American OS probably 20 years ago. I always like the scent but found it a bit loud. The “Classic”
version still has the same or similar scent but seems more subdued. I can’t possibly remember exactly what then old stuff smelled like but I’m sure I like the modern better. Also the old version did have more burn. That I’m sure of (I think).

The OS from Walmart is more subdued than the OS from Dollar General. Both are made by the same company, have the same style bottle and box, but the DG OS is in a smaller bottle and is more pungent. I now use the Walmart version weekdays, and the DG verson on Sundays.

Haven't checked OS from other US retailers to see if there's variation there as well.

Rubicon OS is definitely a bit harsh in terms of alcohol burn, and yeah, they went heavy handed on the pepper notes. Good enough smell, very pleasant and mildly similar to vintage American OS, but perhaps a touch overrated compared to the UK and US versions.

I wanted to give it another spin so I brought the idiot proof Gillette Guard out. Guard is mildest blade I have ever shaved with and old spice did reasonably well that I did not startled with burn but those peppers were still at work. I am thinking perhaps my Original bottles are from a bad batch since Fresh Lime doesn't bother me a
bit.
Featherweight@ what is your take on current formulation of UK version and indian version? Apart from burn issue I think the scent longevity is outstanding on present Indian version and it is not whispy like earlier versions.

Do the Indian old spice aftershave smell like the shaving cream? I have the original and lime in cream form. I hate the lime scent on the cream.

If you have old stock shaving cream then yes, old stock old spice has matching profile. Current formulation of old spice regular cream smells almost like Gillette regular. They are both made and packed in same factory.
New formulation of old spice AS and cream don't have matching scents to my nose.

Top Bottom