What's new

Old school after shave?

Funny, but I get the best feeling when I walk out in the morning and smell like Skin Bracer. Something about the combination of Coast soap, Speed Stick Deodorant and Skin Bracer gives me a nosegasm.

Coast soap brings back memories, I haven't used that for years but used to like it, your comment inspires me to buy some. I rarely used any deodorant other than the original Speed Stick but I think I have bought and used every one of the scents. I'm out of original but I have Fresh and Musk in rotation right now. There is one more called Ocean Surf. I don't use anti-perspirants so haven't tried any of those.

Old School Favorites that are staples in my den:

Aqua Velva
Aqua Velva Musk
Skin Bracer
Old Spice
Brut
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
(+ any other Pinaud scent)
Any brand of Bay Rum
Any scent of Avon

Absolutely! The only problem is (IMHO after trying it recently) the new modern version of Old Spice isn't the same as it once was. At 51 yrs old I remember the original Old Spice scent and this new stuff is NOT it. Now the knock-off version of OS found at Family Dollar and Dollar General stores is pretty close to the original and that's what I use now and I like it. I transfer it into a 1980's vintage Old Spice bottle and use it that way.

You can get something very close to original from Old Spice's Indian counter-point. It really is quite nice, very close to the original.

To the OP:

Pitralon is better than Tabac, in my opinion. I don't like Tobacco. Alt Innsbruck has tobacco, as well. Myrsol is old school de Barcelona, Proraso is old school de Italia. So is Floid.

My advice to you is this: stay away from designer scents. Stick with barber shop brands. For fancy time fragrances, go straight to perfume houses. If the occasion isn't formal enough for a masculine Eau de Parfum, then a barbershop scent will more than get the job done. (I.e. every single situation except black tie and white tie formal.)

Last edited:
You can get something very close to original from Old Spice's Indian counter-point. It really is quite nice, very close to the original.

To the OP:

Pitralon is better than Tabac, in my opinion. I don't like Tobacco. Alt Innsbruck has tobacco, as well. Myrsol is old school de Barcelona, Proraso is old school de Italia. So is Floid.

My advice to you is this: stay away from designer scents. Stick with barber shop brands. For fancy time fragrances, go straight to perfume houses. If the occasion isn't formal enough for a masculine Eau de Parfum, then a barbershop scent will more than get the job done. (I.e. every single situation except black tie and white tie formal.)

What stores carry this? I have heard of one online source that sells it, but the price is 4-5 times more than the $2 I pay for the ViJon at Family Dollar. I would like to find and try the Indian-made OS though. Some other posters have suggested local Indian markets/stores. I'll have to see if I can figure out where those might be in my area.

What stores carry this? I have heard of one online source that sells it, but the price is 4-5 times more than the $2 I pay for the ViJon at Family Dollar. I would like to find and try the Indian-made OS though. Some other posters have suggested local Indian markets/stores. I'll have to see if I can figure out where those might be in my area.

I bought it online once or twice, maybe 5 years ago. I'm not sure I remember the source, but, it took forever to get there (about three or four weeks. I don't like waiting that long for Old Spice.)

Plus, you have to pay for shipping from India.

Your best bet for these products are ethnic run grocery stores. But, you're more likely to find some aftershave that have back in India. You should check them out, but, keep an open mind.

Happy hunting. Let me know how it turns out.

You can used both Barbasols, Dollar General Brut, Store brand Old Spice and Skin Bracers for less than 15 bucks. Might as well buy them all

Old School Favorites that are staples in my den:

Aqua Velva
Aqua Velva Musk
Skin Bracer
Old Spice
Brut
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
(+ any other Pinaud scent)
Any brand of Bay Rum
Any scent of Avon
+1, a perfect list!

Try both but you may want to include Aqua Velva Musk, Old Spice original and Brut. All of them are classics, smell great and are outstanding after shave performers.

I recommend getting both plus Old Spice and Brut. The Family Dollar Vijon versions if OS And Brut are pretty close in scent to the originals and are about $2 each. The Vijon Brut has the added bonus of a great menthol kick the original doesn't.

I’ve been using AV Ice Blue and Original Sport for most of my life (I’m 63), but for some reason I have neglected Mennen Skin Bracer. Your post inspired me to try some. I agree it has that ‘classic’ barber shop scent and I like it very much. Thanks! :)

I’ve been using AV Ice Blue and Original Sport for most of my life (I’m 63), but for some reason I have neglected Mennen Skin Bracer. Your post inspired me to try some. I agree it has that ‘classic’ barber shop scent and I like it very much. Thanks! :)

That's awesome, I'm glad you like it. I think Skin Bracer is highly underrated. It's one of my favorites for sure.

I understand it's not as popular in the USA, but Booster has been around since 1920 (or so the bottle says). It has very few ingredients (often a sign of old recipe aftershaves) and is fairly cheap.

Some say the scents are not the best, but I find they mellow nicely on the skin. I have the Iced Lime and Polar Ice and use them often.

Top Bottom