What's new

Old Man Smell

I can't say that I associate any specific scent (aftershave or cologne) as being "old man smell". My household growing up was essentially perfume free, my father avoiding perfumed stuff and growing a beard since 18. I can't say I remember any of my grandfathers wearing any scents either.

The aftershave selection here is very limited and I would say runs rather old fashioned.
In supermarkets it's Brut and Imperial Leather. Old Spice, Blue Stratos and Tabac are available in pharmacies.
After starting shaving in high school I started with Old Spice, Imperial Leather and Brut.

The only times I've smelt any aftershaves I have recognised in public were on the tram to and from school and were Brut and Imperial Leather. In each of those instances I was able to identify who was wearing It and I was an older gentleman.
I think a fading sense of smell leading to over application may contribute to that though (and it is VERY easy to over apply Imperial Leather.

Nowdays even the idea of using an aftershave splash, or even using an aftershave, seems to be considered old fashioned anyway.

When we were dating, my now wife used to buy me aftershaves that she liked. Mostly designer brands. Almost all of them caused me to have a “skin film” sensation that I absolutely hated. I had to wash my face with cold water an hour later.

I finally found an AS that doesn’t do that… Aqua Velva. Supposed to be an old man choice. Wife doesn’t complain.

When we were dating, my now wife used to buy me aftershaves that she liked. Mostly designer brands. Almost all of them caused me to have a “skin film” sensation that I absolutely hated. I had to wash my face with cold water an hour later.

I finally found an AS that doesn’t do that… Aqua Velva. Supposed to be an old man choice. Wife doesn’t complain.
I'm now in my mid-40s, but I had a girlfriend who loved how Aqua Velva smelt on me.

AV has a fine smell. Very subtle and clean. Not too sweet, not musky. It’s a timeless hit.

Stetson, on the other hand… when I tried it, my wife quoted the line from Reno911 to describe it - “playful but robust, with a hint of a hint of skunk”. I guess she didn’t like it all that much…

I picked up a tub of Henri et Victoria Bay Rum soap (not an aftershave I know...) and that smells like old man to both my wife and I. I'm 48 now. Wife is in her early 40s.

FYI, this is not at all what I associate with bay rum.

Reminds me of my dad. Used it today.
1708661243315.png

I’m 27 and just got a bottle of Floïd - to me, my immediate impression was indeed “old man smell”. I was a little turned off and wouldn’t feel comfortable smelling like Floïd out and about but… as a wet shaving enthusiast, it’s a classic must-have with some kind of appeal that keeps me going back for a sniff.

English Leather- I had an elementary school principal that wore it. You could smell him before you saw him coming.

Mennen Skin Bracer - My dad used it everyday and he smoked Tareyton cigarettes. He got up at 4:00 am and smoked and shaved. We had one bathroom and the smell lingered when I got up at 5:30.

My mom smoked too. She wore Chanel no 5.. I occasionally smell those scents and it reminds me of growing up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m 27 and just got a bottle of Floïd - to me, my immediate impression was indeed “old man smell”. I was a little turned off and wouldn’t feel comfortable smelling like Floïd out and about but… as a wet shaving enthusiast, it’s a classic must-have with some kind of appeal that keeps me going back for a sniff.
Some of this stuff honestly is like wearing a hat, you have to own it.
Wear the scent, don't let it wear you.
The idea that someone thinks you smell weird is mostly in your own head.
It's like wondering if someone will disapprove of your shoes. Honestly - how often do you examine someone elses shoes when you're out and about.

66 here, my dad now 96 does not used old spice, burt or skin bracers for decades.
He always had a passion / hobby for making soaps and shave soap. He learned that growing up in Italy. So he always had the old spice/ brut / and others on his dresser. Never used them, I think they were gifts for other people. Because he was always making small batches of soaps, he always just had a light fresh scent.
So that was mapped into me, never used after shaves and have been shaving for 50 years now.
My uncles too, never smelled an after shave . My oldest uncle (dad oldest brother) made homemade wine and also grew his own tomatoes.
So there home, always smells amazing.
So guess when I think of old man (or person) smell, it is associated with going to a few old age home for I my early years....and that scent / smells was more decay and other assorted bad smells...
BFX

I'm on a kick to bring back the barber shop smells from my youth, I recently got a small bottle of Clubman Pinaud and Old Spice aftershave splashes which hit my senses and remembrances of good old times. I am still researching Bay Rums.

I'm on a kick to bring back the barber shop smells from my youth, I recently got a small bottle of Clubman Pinaud and Old Spice aftershave splashes which hit my senses and remembrances of good old times. I am still researching Bay Rums.
Totally agree. The way things are going in this world I find myself looking to the past for comfort. One of my favorite memories was going to the barber with my dad. Love the smell of Clubman for that reason as well.

Old man smell?? Stale whiskey/beer, two day old vitalis with V7 in the hair and stale cigar or cigarette smoke with a splash of drugstore aftershave. That’s old man smell. I sure hope they never bottle that combo and sell it.

This actually just happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I am 51 and have 22 people that work for me in my division. The oldest is 67 the youngest is 19. I was wearing Drakkar Noir and I was told by my head shop guy who is 30 that I smelled like old man. I asked why and he said I smelled like his dad who is in his late 70’s. So I asked others, everyone under 40 said yup old man, 40’s and up said they love when I wear it because it reminds them of the 80’s and 90’s

Just last weekend I went to go visit my dad (79) who is down at his condo (snow bird) and on his dresser was a brand new box of Drakkar. I asked him when did he start wearing it, he said in the 80’s when you and your brother bought me a bottle for Christmas. I was in high school and I was wearing it then as well. I guess I never thought of a cologne I have been wearing since I was 17 would be considered an old man smell but I guess it actually is.

I have not worn since I was told I smelled like old man.

This past Thursday I was in close proximity with a patient that I am working with and she said "Are you wearing Brut?" I told her that I was and she said "I date older men so that's why I recognize it" "All my boyfriends have been older and they wear it". :laugh:

Brut is the only aftershave I wear that patients comment on. Usually it reminds them of their grand fathers which they are fond of. That's not the first time that a patient has asked directly if I'm wearing Brut.

My dad was an Old Spice and Kool cigarettes guy, so I would consider the vintage Shulton Old Spice more of an old man smell, but I still like it and wear it (I have some vintage OS cologne, just don't mistake it for the AS as it's soooo much stronger -- luckily the stopper is much smaller so it's a visual thing). I like the modern OS and Avon Spicy because they're similar as well as Skin Bracer and AV but don't feel they're "Old Man" scents. Pinaud Clubman has grown on me to be a favorite and it makes the wife swoon so it's a keeper. As for the Veg, I like it but it's a bit powdery after a shower and shave. For me, like Brut Splash on, the Veg gets used most in the summertime after doing yard work, etc., on warm humid days after freshening up before bed or settling in for the evening.

My Grandfather may have used after shave, but he always smoking a pipe full of Borkum Riff tobacco and that was his signature scent -- I recently found a near-empty can of Borkum Riff in an antique store and the smell brought me back to hanging out at Grandpa and Grandma's house which was on a lake in Wisconsin. Deep in reminisce, I offered the can to my wife, saying, "do you want to smell my Grandpa?" I'll admit I could have executed that better, but I shook off her puzzled look and replied, "okay, your loss," and put the top back on, and now I regret not buying it."

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just an update for the kids looking to try some of these, as I was surprised the other day at the store.

While the drug store standards of Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva and Clubman may still be made locally (and I have no idea at which gas station P&G is now brewing its Old Spice carb cleaner) I picked up a bottle of British Sterling the other day just to peer at the box. It was a genuine Dana product at a respectable store.

Dana is now manufacturing its classics in China. Very disappointing to this old American gent. I’ll never put that on my face.

For some of these, try to find some older MEM or other New Jersey made stocks to learn what they really were back in the day.

Top Bottom