What's new

Old Man Smell

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think that some women like to be reminded of how their pops smelled. The modern old spice isn't very good but you can buy the vintage stuff on the bay- and unless your wife hated her grandpa you just might be surprised with the vintage juice.

Excellent post. Women do like to be reminded of what their fathers smelled like if they have any sense and good judgment.

What woman wouldn’t want to be reminded of what, loyalty, faithfulness, dependability, hard work, wisdom, grace and respect smells like? :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Excellent post. Women do like to be reminded of what their fathers smelled like if they have any sense and good judgment.

What woman wouldn’t want to be reminded of what, loyalty, faithfulness, dependability, hard work, wisdom, grace and respect smells like? :)
The only caveat being that some women had dads that don't make them think of those characteristics.
Sad, but it happens.

I am 56 and my wife is 61, she thinks Pinaud Clubman smells old man like. It reminds me of the barber shop my dad used to drag my brother and me to back in the 70s to get our high and tight hair cut. Dad was a ww2 Marine. I remember the warm neck shave and the cologne, likely Pinaud Clubman, the barber would put on us. I didn't care for the smell back then. My dad did not use cologne. He worked as a petroleum engineer on oil rigs. He would tell of some workers on the rigs who wouldn't take a bath as often as needed, instead opting to drown themselves in cologne. The smell that quaffed off of them wasn't pleasant to my dad. Also, strong colognes in such a small area of the control room weren't something they wanted to smell for 36 hours straight. He did get a gift set, what seemed like every year, of Old Spice Aftershave and soap on a rope from his brother-in-law and my aunt on my mother's side for Christmas. Those just piled up in his cabinet under the sink. Looking back I should have taken that stuff. However back then it smelt like an old man's scent.

I have been hesitant to use my supply of Pinaud Clubman due to the negative comments I got from my wife. I tried it this past Saturday. I was going on an 8-hour trip to pick up my wife in Alabama from Family. I figured the scent would subside by the time I got there. I splashed some on after my shave and was immediately struck with a memory of my Uncle Norman. The scent smelt like his cologne. He was a farmer but would dress up to go to work every day. Tie and Fedora. He was paralyzed from the waist down due to having Polio when he was a child. It didn't stop him much. He did have workers handle most of the hard labor, but he was out there on the tractor when need be. I flashed back to the late 70's and early 80's when I spent most of my summers there. I have morphed into not using colognes much now either, especially when I wasn't shaving due to growing a beard. As of late my primary means of transportation is a motorcycle, and as a habit, I tend to not wear colognes to avoid a stew of scents in my helmet. It may not be an issue. I did wear colognes more when I was in the "market" for a wife. I have settled down and the use of colognes has waned. I may build up the nerve to don Pinaud Clubman again to see how my wife likes it on me. Often the scent is different once it interacts with our unique scents. By the time I got to my wife, the scent had all but gone away. She either didn't notice or thought it was some new shave soap I had bought. Uncle Norman's scent may make a return at some point.

I have a pet theory about how some aftershave scents are perceived by people.

Is there an aftershave you have tried and you don't want to wear it because it "smells like an old man" or has that "old man smell"?
Does your significant other have such a reaction to something you liked or to something you didn't like yourself?
Can you share what age group you and your partner are in and what aftershave it is that triggers that reaction in you/them?
No need to be specific, even young adult, middle age, codger, crusty old guy would be fine. If you're comfortable with "mid-30's" or "early 50's" that would be fine too.
I'm just trying to get an idea of age group, not to try to track down how old someone specifically is.

If I get enough posts with some names and ages of both wearer and spouse, I'll share what my pet theory is, and whether the data tends to support or refute my theory.

Feel free to share your experience and where you stand with those dreaded "old man in church with hair growing out of his ears" aftershaves!
Are you starting to smell old my friend? I know you're a senior member on the forum. It will at least keep people away from you while your shopping for groceries.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Are you starting to smell old my friend? I know you're a senior member on the forum. It will at least keep people away from you while your shopping for groceries.
I am indeed an old guy.
I don't know if I smell old 'au naturale', because I liberally douse my self regularly with Skin Bracer, or Clubman, or Aqua Velva, or Old Spice!
Though I am still free of the adult diapers, I can't say that the farts previously mentioned don't come into play.

I am indeed an old guy.
I don't know if I smell old 'au naturale', because I liberally douse my self regularly with Skin Bracer, or Clubman, or Aqua Velva, or Old Spice!
Though I am still free of the adult diapers, I can't say that the farts previously mentioned don't come into play.
LOL 😆 That was more than I was expecting. Let's hope never on the diapers. I hope I don't smell too bad but I do take heart healthy garlic pills. I do like the products you mentioned, if that makes me smell old, so be it. Let it fill your nostrils and get stuck in there for hours.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have and wear all of these, some more than others. Old men smell good.
It's amazing to me how many Old Spice gift sets I got, and me Da got, back in the day.... I don't think he or I hardly ever opened them up! Now I love the stuff.

Sure wish I had those countless sets today! I'd be an eBay millionaire doggone!
I am indeed an old guy.
Perfectly phrased answer my friend.

Pickles

old spice cartoon.jpg

Top Bottom