What's new

Old Hickory knives

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone have some of the Old Hickory knives like Grandma used to use? She had a butcher knife, and a smaller one that I believe was a boning knife. Hers were always sharp, but besides having a whetstone...or two...or three...Granddad had one of these:

proxy.php

I picked up one of the 4" paring knives at a local hardware store awhile back for $2 and some change. I worked in packing houses for a few years and we used the Green River carbon steel knives so using a carbon one is no big deal to me. I had to put a bevel on it with my Gatco sharpening kit but it was no problem. I put an initial bevel on it of 25 degrees using the coarse, medium, and then fine stones, then put a secondary bevel on it of 15 degrees again going from coarse to medium to fine stones. A few strokes on a sharpening steel and that thing rivals my Japanese paring knife in cutting ability. That thing will shave you.

I was cutting up some round steak for jerky yesterday and I had SWMBO cut a slice with a serrated steak knife that she always uses to slice stuff, then do a slice with the Old Hickory. She said "Wow."

I think I'll go back by the hardware store and pick up one of the butcher knives they have for about $6 or $7, or they may be about $10, just to have one in the stable.

$IMG_0003.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooops...I just noticed I posted my bevel angles backward. The initial bevel was 15 degrees and the second one was 25 degrees. I'm getting like davent...can't type straight. :biggrin1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Mike you will make our member Deltaboy very happy. He has been mentioning Old Hickory knives for as long as I've seen him post in the Mess Hall. I can not recall anybody saying anything negative in response. I have a few knives that I have acquired through group buys here that I use pretty regularly and would not give up. That being said my #1 goto knife is a carbon steel peasant knife. Set up right it only take a few strokes on a steel and I can cut paper thin tomatoes, salami, or anything.

[MENTION=32]mike[/MENTION]/simon1: I have a set I bought off of Amazon a few months ago. I sharpened them and did some vinegar blueing over the past couple of days. I may have to try the double bevel at some point. They didn't come with the best edges on them.

@alacrity: Which peasant knife? Where is it from?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Benhunt

The knife I spoke about is from Lee Valley. When I bought it it was $30 CDN now 47.50 CDN which is close to the same thing when translated to US bucks. They sell in the US too.

$Peasant knife.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah Mike, carbon steel knives have been around for....

They take a sharper edge than stainless and don't hold the edge as long, but are easier to sharpen. We used to put the initial bevel on the ones we got from the vendor at the packing houses with a belt sander, then do the sharpening stone thing on them. Then hit 'em with the steel.

I'm waiting on Deltaboy to chime in...he seems to have some experience with them. I didn't pay much attention to what Granddad did with them...I just ate what Grandma cooked.

@benhunt they don't have a good edge on them new, and I'll see what the 15 degree angle does for a bit, but I may change it to 18 degrees if it doesn't hold well. But for what I use it for the 15 should do fine. And it's easy to touch up.

Here's a little basic primer on edge bevels for those that aren't familiar with them. And I'm far from being an expert.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Detailed-Discussion-on-Knife-Sharpening-Angles-W28.aspx

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Kinda glad I put this post up. It got me to pull out the old Hantover skinning knife I've had, from when I worked in packing houses, in a leather sheath in an emergency backpack behind the seat of a few pickup trucks for several years (umm...decades). The old skinner knife still looks to be in decent shape...I'll clean it up and sharpen it some more.

I also had Grandma's steel in the backpack and it looks fine. I love the scrimshaw on the handle. I didn't get any of her knives but I got her steel. I think I'll get another steel to go in the backpack and keep Grandma's steel in the house from now on.

$IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Love seeing the vintage knives @simon1

Here's a vintage Forgecraft that I had refurbed, I was going to redo the handle but decided to leave it original.
$forgie.JPG
$forgie2.JPG

One of my favourite knives in the collection, the profile suits me, it's easy to sharpen and holds an edge for ages in a home cooking environment

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Yep. I have an Old Hickory butcher knife.

I thinned the blade and reshaped and finished the handle. Forced a patina on the blade and honed it up.

It is probably my most reached for knife. It is sharp, and I am not scared of messing it up cutting through tough stuff, like I am sometimes with my good Japanese knives.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those are some nice looking knives guys. Sometimes the cheap utilitarian ones do the bulk of the work. And like David says, you don't have to worry about messing them up as much. And if you do you can fix them until the blade is ground off so much it's about pencil thin.

Oooops...the angles I sharpened the Old Hickory at was right in the first post...15 degree bevel then a 25 degree bevel so the edge would hold up better. When I sharpened it I just looked at the angle the stone was hitting the blade and didn't pay much attention to the degree numbers on the guide rod holes. :blushing: I may change it to 20 degrees for the cutting bevel but it sure cuts good now. My attention span has been a little whacky the last couple of days...Mom's been falling quite a bit the last week or so and she lives by herself. She turned 90 a couple of months ago. She went to the doctor yesterday and he told her she may want to look into assisted living somewhere. I'm 200 miles away so I need to get up there pretty quick and see what we can work out. Along with that a new District judge has pretty much cancelled all investigator appointments so it looks like I might have to close my business down.

Glad I pulled that old Hantover knife out...it needs some work on the edge. Time to get out the extra-course stone to get it started.

Love OH knives. I keep a full set, plus some extra boning and paring knives, in the cook shed. They are easy to maintain and can handle just about anything thrown at them. Just keep them cleaned and oiled and they will last many, many years.

BTW- There are also some YT videos that show how to transform an OH butcher knife to a Kephart-style knife. Another handy tool to have.

Been away most of the Summer with my wife sick and we got her issue fixed so now I am back around.

I got to using some 400 wet dry to touch them up with. I also made them some cardboard sleves to store them after I shaved off a knuckle reaching in the draw in the dark.

They work and mine are all but one are over 40 years old.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Been away most of the Summer with my wife sick and we got her issue fixed so now I am back around.

I got to using some 400 wet dry to touch them up with. I also made them some cardboard sleves to store them after I shaved off a knuckle reaching in the draw in the dark.

That's good news preacher. Glad to have ya back. Now go make us some chili.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Welcome back there Delta. So glad your SWMBO's issues were fixed.

Hey, I just brought back three Forgecraft knives and a couple of paring knives from Mom's...one paring knife that I can't read the name on until I get it cleaned up and one I can't find any markings on at all. The paring knives look like they have been rode hard and put up wet.

Since Dad passed away over 20 years ago and I live out-of-state the knives were, to put it gently, really really dull.

From what little I've looked up on the Forgecraft ones it looks like they were made by Washington Forge, out of old lumber mill saw blades, discontinued in 1968, and may be of a bit better quality than the Old Hickory ones. You know anything about 'em?

I just used my Old Hickory paring knife to slice some roast a bit a go and it cut like a hot knife through....

Sorry for the bad pics. of the Forgecraft ones.

$IMG_0013.jpg

$IMG_0005.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Glad to see you back.

Are these the ones that originally were made from surplus bayonets? I have the one my parents used, but it has a chip on the edge, and I'm not sure of the brand. I really should have it fixed, because it was the best ever for carving roasts.

Welcome back there Delta. So glad your SWMBO's issues were fixed.

Hey, I just brought back three Forgecraft knives and a couple of paring knives from Mom's...one paring knife that I can't read the name on until I get it cleaned up and one I can't find any markings on at all. The paring knives look like they have been rode hard and put up wet.

Since Dad passed away over 20 years ago and I live out-of-state the knives were, to put it gently, really really dull.

From what little I've looked up on the Forgecraft ones it looks like they were made by Washington Forge, out of old lumber mill saw blades, discontinued in 1968, and may be of a bit better quality than the Old Hickory ones. You know anything about 'em?

I just used my Old Hickory paring knife to slice some roast a bit a go and it cut like a hot knife through....

Sorry for the bad pics. of the Forgecraft ones.

View attachment 696228

View attachment 696229
I got a few saw mill blade ones. They will take a good edge. They will be slightly harder steel. Mine were made by Bill Mayfield of Clarendon Ark who made knifes for about 20 years after he retired from the Saw Mill.

I have an Old Hickory butcher knife. After cleaning it up a bit, it's pretty comparable in performance to knives that cost almost 20x more.

It's definitely better than some that cost 10x more.

Top Bottom