What's new

Ok I’m in, but need some help

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Considering a REAL shave ready razor, what would you get as a first stone setup? Is is possible to (initially) start with one stone?
I'm just studying the options.

Yes, it’s very possible.

Since you’re learning to hone, I’d suggest sticking with synthetic finishers, but here are some options.

- Shave Ready razor plus a Naniwa 12k. If you want to save money get the thin one and glue it to a flat tile/glass
- Shave ready razor plus a finishing coticule. The coticule will be more versatile (can move metal faster) than the Naniwa, but you’ll need one for razors and have to learn the stone a bit more.
- Shave Ready razor and a Japanese Natural - same, more versatility but you need the right one and getting the best may require a bit of experimenting.

A shave ready razor and a Naniwa 12k is hard to beat to learn on.

A shave ready razor and a Naniwa 12k is hard to beat to learn on.
I had a feeling that would be it.

I read some threads recommending to buy a finishing stone only when you’re putting a nice edge on an 8k.

But I believe that is more related to honing a NOT shave ready razor, am I correct?

I guess only to maintain or touch up an edge the 12k would be the way to go.

Thank you sir and appreciate any other inputs!

Yes, when I started, pre inter-web I maintained a single razor with a 6 inch translucent for 10 years. For years, after finding shaving forums and Antique store with cases of NOS quality razors, I struggled to find a stone that would equal an Ark edge.

Today there are a host of options, many stones that have a wide range, are super finisher and very aggressive, real one stone hones.

I would buy a Naniwia Snow White, or Shehiro 10k. Either will keep you shaving for a long time. Later if you start using a progression, you will already have a finisher or a stone that can easily transition to a high grit natural, Ark or Jnat.

I have honed several razors on the 10k and am very impressed with this stone. There are techniques that will allow one to squeak out super keen and smooth shaving edges. The 12k works, but I do not like that it loads up, it can damage an edge if not lappe off clean.

You still need to master stropping to properly maintain a razor.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I had a feeling that would be it.

I read some threads recommending to buy a finishing stone only when you’re putting a nice edge on an 8k.

But I believe that is more related to honing a NOT shave ready razor, am I correct?

I guess only to maintain or touch up an edge the 12k would be the way to go.

Thank you sir and appreciate any other inputs!

More or less, the razor will need to be in near shave-ready state for most 8k stones to do much unless you have time to spare. The N12k will certainly keep you going.

I’d go with the Suehiro Kouseki 10k over the Naniwa 12k, it acts a little finer than the 12k in spite of being rated 10k (I have both), it’s harder and doesn’t warp. But it costs twice as much.

If smaller stones don’t bother you, and the Shapton G7 0.85u will do well. It’s finer than the Naniwa 12k and Suehiro 10k, and it’s very fast. Shapton recommends it for razor finishing.

If you learn to hone and make a shave ready edge on synthetics, adding a Natural finisher is a snap, because all the heavy lifting is done.

Lots of options, there is no best, because you can learn a stone and squeak out it’s best performance, (technique).

An 8k edge stropped on Chrome Oxide, is a very keen and nice shaving edge. Chrome Oxide is about 20k depending on the chart you read. A stick of pure Chrome Oxide is $10. Paste a piece of cardboard if you do not have a dedicated pasted strop.

More or less, the razor will need to be in near shave-ready state for most 8k stones to do much unless you have time to spare. The N12k will certainly keep you going.

I’d go with the Suehiro Kouseki 10k over the Naniwa 12k, it acts a little finer than the 12k in spite of being rated 10k (I have both), it’s harder and doesn’t warp. But it costs twice as much.

If smaller stones don’t bother you, and the Shapton G7 0.85u will do well. It’s finer than the Naniwa 12k and Suehiro 10k, and it’s very fast. Shapton recommends it for razor finishing.

If you learn to hone and make a shave ready edge on synthetics, adding a Natural finisher is a snap, because all the heavy lifting is done.

Lots of options, there is no best, because you can learn a stone and squeak out it’s best performance, (technique).

An 8k edge stropped on Chrome Oxide, is a very keen and nice shaving edge. Chrome Oxide is about 20k depending on the chart you read. A stick of pure Chrome Oxide is $10. Paste a piece of cardboard if you do not have a dedicated pasted strop.

Thank you gentleman!

I'll look into all of those options.

Just to dive into the subject, is there a major difference between a naniwa 12k and a shapton 12k? The shapton is easily available on amazon Italy and it comes with a support.

Would I be losing anything or risking the results if I opted for the shapton?

This is a very long thread, and to be honest I did not read it all.

There's no rocket science here and no need for lengthy explanations. I've been there. Not everyone that claims they can hone can actually do it. If you did not damage the edge, then the person that did the honing is not qualified. Your photos show that the individual did not do a good job. Even in my early days when I could barely hone, I was able to manage a half-way decent shave.

How much did you pay?

If you are in the U.S. send your razor to Alfredo.

There's no rocket science here and no need for lengthy explanations. I've been there. Not everyone that claims they can hone can actually do it. If you did not damage the edge, then the person that did the honing is not qualified. Your photos show that the individual did not do a good job. Even in my early days when I could barely hone, I was able to manage a half-way decent shave.

How much did you pay?

He’s in Brazil.

How much did you pay?

Didn't pay much, but I'm not in the US.

Thank you gentleman!

I'll look into all of those options.

Just to dive into the subject, is there a major difference between a naniwa 12k and a shapton 12k? The shapton is easily available on amazon Italy and it comes with a support.

Would I be losing anything or risking the results if I opted for the shapton?
The shapton 12k is a little coarser then the Naniwa 12k. If you follow it with TI paste or something else you will/can get a nice edge.

As has been said, a Naniwa 10 or 12K will keep your shave ready going indefinitely. The Suehiro Kouseki 10K is an extremely nice synthetic stone, but the Naniwa Kagayaki range is also very nice. Even the modern SuperStones, but be sure to get the 20mm thickness, or they tend to move a bit.
Any of those would be a worthwhile investment, and as you progress and wish to do more, you already have your finisher in place and just need to fill in with the lower grits.

Then, you can get into naturals....:001_tt2:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Morning gents!

Ok, after a long time reading about straight razors (I’m looking at you @rbscebu) I pulled the trigger and got a gold dollar.

I sent it directly to a honer to get it ready and received it last night.

First shave today, no cuts or irritation and the motion felt pretty natural.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM. The thing doesn’t cut! First pass I was left with full stubble, second and third the same.

Applying after shave was like I hadn’t shaved. Sandpaper face all over it.

So after cleaning everything I went to the strop for a few laps.

HHT? Nada, not a single hair. Tried to shave a small part of my arm. Nada. I even pulled the hair, the edge hit it like a pencil. Nothing.

What is going on? I called the honer, a very nice guy, with lots of references here and he said the edge was tested and it was fine.

We discussed oxidation but it was only a few days.

I’m really lost here. So I took some pics but I don’t know if it’s possible to judge anything.

Thank you and appreciate any input.

View attachment 1678507View attachment 1678508View attachment 1678509View attachment 1678511View attachment 1678512View attachment 1678513View attachment 1678514View attachment 1678515
That looks AWFUL. Who recommended your honemeister? Looks like you sent it to some knife sharpener guy. That razor is NOT shave ready,just looking at it. Okay now for the rest of the story. I just had to reply to this first post when I saw that blade. SMH.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Question now is… send it back or try to hone it myself since it’s a pretty cheap razor?

Hmmm 🤔
It's not the seller's fault. Your honemeister doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Keep an eye on the BST subforum for shave ready vintage razors. If a member says it is shave ready, it probably is. Reputations are at stake. There are a very few fleabay sellers known and respected by the community, selling shave ready razors. Most shave ready razors on the internet are just "internet shave ready", IOW they use the term because if they don't, nobody buys their dull razors. Before you click the buy now button, always ask here or any other straight razor forum about the seller. It is a small community and most of the good guys are known. So get yourself a shave ready razor one way or another. Additionally there are other more above board vendors that might charge a bit more but have great reputations well deserved. Hang out for a bit and learn who they are. Don't get in too big a hurry to buy. Take your time.

Once you have learned to shave and know what a shave ready razor actually looks and feels like and how well it actually shaves, you might try to hone your GD. Don't bother, until you are shaving successfully first. Don't try to teach yourself to shave with a razor that at the same time you are trying to teach yourself to hone. It will only frustrate, disappoint, and deeply sadden you.

When you are ready to jump in, try "The Method". Read the thread fully, beginning to end. More importantly, read the threads linked therein, from beginning to end. Follow instructions exactly, no exceptions, and you will have a good edge right out the gate, and by your second attempt, probably a better edge than you can get from a professional honer. That is IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS PRECISELY IN THE SMALLEST DETAIL. If you think you can blow some "unimportant" detail off, or make some "sensible" substitution and get the same results, hey, whatevah. But those who follow The Method, succeed. It's like there are two types of countries in the world: those that use metric, and those that have landed men on the moon. Is using inches and fractions and thousandths and microns (REAL microns, not micrometers) the reason for our success? You tell me. But if you want to succeed, I suggest you do what the successful, do, and doing it the way that they do it. So anyway, don't "sort of" imperfectly follow The Method and then blame it when you fail. Follow it exactly and you won't.

That looks AWFUL. Who recommended your honemeister? Looks like you sent it to some knife sharpener guy. That razor is NOT shave ready,just looking at it. Okay now for the rest of the story. I just had to reply to this first post when I saw that blade. SMH.

It's not the seller's fault. Your honemeister doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Keep an eye on the BST subforum for shave ready vintage razors. If a member says it is shave ready, it probably is. Reputations are at stake. There are a very few fleabay sellers known and respected by the community, selling shave ready razors. Most shave ready razors on the internet are just "internet shave ready", IOW they use the term because if they don't, nobody buys their dull razors. Before you click the buy now button, always ask here or any other straight razor forum about the seller. It is a small community and most of the good guys are known. So get yourself a shave ready razor one way or another. Additionally there are other more above board vendors that might charge a bit more but have great reputations well deserved. Hang out for a bit and learn who they are. Don't get in too big a hurry to buy. Take your time.

Once you have learned to shave and know what a shave ready razor actually looks and feels like and how well it actually shaves, you might try to hone your GD. Don't bother, until you are shaving successfully first. Don't try to teach yourself to shave with a razor that at the same time you are trying to teach yourself to hone. It will only frustrate, disappoint, and deeply sadden you.

When you are ready to jump in, try "The Method". Read the thread fully, beginning to end. More importantly, read the threads linked therein, from beginning to end. Follow instructions exactly, no exceptions, and you will have a good edge right out the gate, and by your second attempt, probably a better edge than you can get from a professional honer. That is IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS PRECISELY IN THE SMALLEST DETAIL. If you think you can blow some "unimportant" detail off, or make some "sensible" substitution and get the same results, hey, whatevah. But those who follow The Method, succeed. It's like there are two types of countries in the world: those that use metric, and those that have landed men on the moon. Is using inches and fractions and thousandths and microns (REAL microns, not micrometers) the reason for our success? You tell me. But if you want to succeed, I suggest you do what the successful, do, and doing it the way that they do it. So anyway, don't "sort of" imperfectly follow The Method and then blame it when you fail. Follow it exactly and you won't.

@Alex Jr, just be careful with @Slash McCoy's advice. He works in millifurlongs. For your understanding;

1 millifurlong = 201.168mm

😀
Thank you @Slash McCoy for that detailed guide and explanation!

I’ve been reading the threads you mentioned over and over again (and the video) for the last couple of days and I’ll continue to do so until I put any razor on a stone, balsa or lapping film. (I think I’ll start with the lapping film).

@GNR made a very generous offer and he’s sending me not only 1 but 4 SRs and a strop.

I found some lapping film that I can order from here so I’ll start with that and your guide once the razors need a touch up.

@rbscebu thing is serious man, it’s not a game! 🤣

Thank you once again for the assistance.

Alex

As others have said... the edge looks very bad. This is your opportunity to learn to hone a razor! Also good stropping is very important.
I bought a Gold dollar when I first started out... And it's edge improved as I learned to hone. But I also bought vintage razors on Ebay that really were shave ready. You might want to try that too so you have good shaves while you learn.

Top Bottom