What's new

Ok I’m in, but need some help

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thank you @Slash McCoy for that detailed guide and explanation!

I’ve been reading the threads you mentioned over and over again (and the video) for the last couple of days and I’ll continue to do so until I put any razor on a stone, balsa or lapping film. (I think I’ll start with the lapping film).

@GNR made a very generous offer and he’s sending me not only 1 but 4 SRs and a strop.

I found some lapping film that I can order from here so I’ll start with that and your guide once the razors need a touch up.

@rbscebu thing is serious man, it’s not a game! 🤣

Thank you once again for the assistance.

Alex
I should point out that your honemeister might have just been having a really bad hair day or some thing. Even the best honers let a lemon slip through the cracks once in a while. But if you stick with honers who are recommended on the razor forums you will have a better chance of getting a nice sharp razor back. If you choose to DIY, remember that there are a million ways to screw up, and not so many ways to get it right, and only a few ways to get it perfect. Don't leave anything to chance, not the smallest detail. NOTHING is unimportant, no substitutions or omissions will gitter done the way that precisely following The Method in every detail will gitter done. The whole idea of The Method is to remove all subjectivity, all choice, all random BS, all convenient or expedient improvisation, all judgement calls. At least so far as possible. It is the exact duplication of a successful honing that will give you a successful honing. Random methods give random results.

I should point out that your honemeister might have just been having a really bad hair day or some thing. Even the best honers let a lemon slip through the cracks once in a while. But if you stick with honers who are recommended on the razor forums you will have a better chance of getting a nice sharp razor back. If you choose to DIY, remember that there are a million ways to screw up, and not so many ways to get it right, and only a few ways to get it perfect. Don't leave anything to chance, not the smallest detail. NOTHING is unimportant, no substitutions or omissions will gitter done the way that precisely following The Method in every detail will gitter done. The whole idea of The Method is to remove all subjectivity, all choice, all random BS, all convenient or expedient improvisation, all judgement calls. At least so far as possible. It is the exact duplication of a successful honing that will give you a successful honing. Random methods give random results.
Be sure I’ll follow it very carefully!

Thank you once again sir, it’s been very helpful.

Even if you buy a stone from someone, with great review, and recommended. Make sure you lap the stone to ensure it is flat. Nothing worse then wondering why you can't get an edge consistent and find out after honing your butt off, the stone is not flat.

Take your time honing, make sure you are not pressed for time or have interruptions. Focus on the feel of what the stone and razor are doing. Listen to the sound of the stone.

I tried the Lapping Film Method, just did not like the feel or feed back. Just me, several here swear by it.

And last and very important. When you get it right, do not sell or give away the razor. No matter how much Tequila you drink. Dang I wish I had that Union City Dixie Razor back!

And last and very important. When you get it right, do not sell or give away the razor. No matter how much Tequila you drink. Dang I wish I had that Union City Dixie Razor back!
I’ll keep the tequila away! 🤣🤣

Thank you sir!

Top Bottom